home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Wining & Dining
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-12-2019, 11:35 AM   #1
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Question The "Big Six" Restaurants

No, this is not about popularity or quality.

When you go to the WDW dining reservations website, there are six restaurants that are listed above the alphabetical listing of all the others. Currently they are:

Diamond Horseshoe
Le Cellier
Hollywood Brown Derby
Tiffins
The Wave
Ale & Compass

What is the deal with these six?!

Is Disney for some reason trying to promote these? Obviously, but why? Only Tiffins and Ale & Compass are relatively new. I think Diamond Horseshoe has recently reopened or changed format, but I'm not sure when. The other three have been around for a while.

Has it always been this way, or is it a recent change?

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:45 AM   #2
bwvBound
Grand Villa

Could it be based on having reservations offered as "best match" to the date/time listed at the top? The default is almost "right now" (today w/in a near-term time slot).

Edited: Well, now that I've played with the page I've skewed the default. Now I'll never know! FWIW, I spot checked a couple of the "big 6" and was surprised to find seating available for lunch today ... which triggered my comment above. However, after manually running a search for today ... I see different offers even closer to "now." If I recall correctly, my original default was "today, out a few hours" ... but I might have to clear cookies to get back to the true default ... too much bother for the moment.

2nd Edit: I set a manual search for "today at 12:30p, 2 guests", which to my memory, was the initial default. Indeed, I get the big 6 you mention. So I think the sort priority is based on tables available for the default date/timeslot/guest count.

Last edited by bwvBound; 02-12-2019 at 11:51 AM.
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:55 AM   #3
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

An excellent guess, but my memory suggests that these six are pretty much constant. Now that I've published a list, we'll be able to see whether that is true or not.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:58 PM   #4
bakerworld
Grand Villa

We don't routinely go to any of those 6 - only time I've been to the Horseshoe Revue was in DL 1972, Brown Derby was with the kids 1994, Wave 2006, Le Cellier 2014, Tiffins this past October and have never managed to fit in the Ale and Compass.

I'm only 'allowed' one ADR a visit so I try and spread myself around
Old 02-12-2019, 02:06 PM   #5
choosymom
Two Bedroom

Must just be trying to fill reservation at these. Most people would see this and decide to book a reservation at at least 2 of them.

choosymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:22 PM   #6
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post

When you go to the WDW dining reservations website, there are six restaurants that are listed above the alphabetical listing of all the others. Currently they are:

Diamond Horseshoe
Le Cellier
Hollywood Brown Derby
Tiffins
The Wave
Ale & Compass

Is Disney for some reason trying to promote these? Obviously, but why? Only Tiffins and Ale & Compass are relatively new. I think Diamond Horseshoe has recently reopened or changed format, but I'm not sure when. The other three have been around for a while.

I don't really look at that until I've searched so I don't know if it's new or not. Interesting that it's 1 from each park and then 1 from an MK resort and 1 from an Epcot resort - both which are good for same day booking. Maybe those restaurant managers slipped IT a little bit under the table to get preferential placement.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:25 PM   #7
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
I don't really look at that until I've searched so I don't know if it's new or not. Interesting that it's 1 from each park and then 1 from an MK resort and 1 from an Epcot resort - both which are good for same day booking. Maybe those restaurant managers slipped IT a little bit under the table to get preferential placement.
Actually that was my first thought too....

Old 02-12-2019, 03:04 PM   #8
leo122160
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
Good observation. I'm a little surprised that Le Cellier has same day booking. By far my hardest reservation ever to get in over 30 years of WDW dining.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:08 PM   #9
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo122160 View Post
Good observation. I'm a little surprised that Le Cellier has same day booking. By far my hardest reservation ever to get in over 30 years of WDW dining.
"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded." -- attributed to Yogi Berra

Old 02-12-2019, 03:15 PM   #10
yahoo
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post

Diamond Horseshoe
Le Cellier
Hollywood Brown Derby
Tiffins
The Wave
Ale & Compass

that is a good question .
yahoo is offline   Reply With Quote