home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Latest DVC News and Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-12-2019, 03:12 PM   #31
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Brother View Post
For me, the worst they could do is keep increasing MF's at the rate of this year. That by far affects me the most. Mess with the perks but don't mess with my money.....LOL.
Owning at OKW and AKV, we were hit very hard by the maintenance increases this year. For now, we can keep our current number of points. If they keep this up, we will not be able to justify the expense.

I feel that there should be some relationship between inflation and the fee increases.
Crafty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:30 PM   #32
FCivish3
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
I'm waiting for the day that they decide that resale buyers can only use their points at the resort they bought.
We are still trying to figure out if that is possible? Under current rules it isn't. But apparently they can change the rules however they want.

Poly, AKL, BLT

FCivish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #33
chunter
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVINDVC View Post
I would see cutting off rentals as a plus, frankly. But, I understand how it fills up rooms so wouldn’t happen.
dvc members pay either way....whether the room is empty or full, right? So, wouldn't disney prefer to have those rooms empty so they can charge for them a second time?
chunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:34 PM   #34
Pooh128
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
Owning at OKW and AKV, we were hit very hard by the maintenance increases this year. For now, we can keep our current number of points. If they keep this up, we will not be able to justify the expense.

I feel that there should be some relationship between inflation and the fee increases.
Disney is increasing cast member pay $1 every fall until at least 2021. That will translate into higher MF's each year.
Pooh128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:45 PM   #35
bakerworld
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
I'm waiting for the day that they decide that resale buyers can only use their points at the resort they bought.
SSR, AK and OKW will finally be full
Old 02-12-2019, 05:21 PM   #36
caitieloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCivish3 View Post
BUT, here are some comments from another thread, that I think are very pertinent. I think it DOES essentially say that Disney can do anything they want.

From what I can tell from this, not being a lawyer myself, it seems to me that the CURRENT club rules do not allow them to limit exchanges or to limit many other things. However, this next section seems to indicate that dISNEY CAN CHANGE THE CURRENT CLUB RULES AT THEIR SOLE DISCRETION, ANYTIME THEY WANT. In other words, it seems that they are saying that “ANY rules, and anything that we currently have in the club could be changed at their whim.”

Are there any lawyers who care to weigh in on this? Am I interpreting this correctly?
As I understand it, the rules and regulations are basically like the HOA rules. Those can be changed. They are different from the other documents that define your ownership interest, which can't be changed. The main one of these is the "Public Offering Statement". I think there was another one that people were discussing recently, but I can't remember what it was called.
caitieloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:25 PM   #37
caitieloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Yes.....Disney could eliminate BVTC, but they will not.
BVTC was a new term to me. I googled and found someone talking about them wrt exchanging DVC points with other timeshare companies. Is BVTC involved behind the scenes with intra-DVC non-home bookings, too?

Can anyone suggest a good resource or summary for me to learn about this?
caitieloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:24 PM   #38
micepace42
One Bedroom

Default Yep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMomofOne View Post
Not to be paranoid or anything but I’d rather not come up with ideas that could be used against us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post

I am sad about agreeing.

My agreement speaks to my loss of faith in DVC administration.

WDW has been a place full of happy family memories and simply fun experiences for us.

We have always overspent for Disney trips. Drinking the kool-aid made us open our wallet without much complaint.

Now I feel that Disney expects to reach into our wallet and take what it wants whether we agree or not.

micepace42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:56 PM   #39
micepace42
One Bedroom

Red face Thoughts...?

I find it interesting that Disney made the restrictions on RR. It appears the same will be in place for Reflections or whatever the "River Country" resort will be called.

I had a thought that this may be the future of DVC as the 2042 resorts come to expiration. I would assume Disney plans to sell those resorts direct again in 2042 at MUCH higher direct pricing along with MUCH higher point allocations...with the same restrictions?

Does it stand to reason that the future holds no resale market? Maybe Disney controls ALL sales? Maybe a change in how ROFR would work? Perhaps a change in terms of selling future DVC memberships? Not sure how or if it is legally possible to sell with a change in terms that do not allow for the resale of DVC interest for less than = ???? Maybe a percent of the original purchase price. This would set Disney up for the potential repurchase at a future set amount and allow to sell at direct pricing. I guess my generic thinking would look something like leasing a car...? There is a "guaranteed" future buy back price that can be determined lower by "variables that allow for a lower buy back price" but the appraisal price is usually a percentage of the value and goes up as the price a new car goes up...generically speaking.

It just seems strange to hit resale of RR with the restrictions they are stating without a plan or reason. I mean, how many more areas are left at WDW for building DVC resorts? Maybe they are planning for the future of "no more room to build DVC so how can we continue to make even more money out of it".

Just blandly thinking while trying to multi-task...

Last edited by micepace42; 02-12-2019 at 07:58 PM. Reason: spelling
micepace42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:55 PM   #40
FCivish3
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh128 View Post
Disney is increasing cast member pay $1 every fall until at least 2021. That will translate into higher MF's each year.
The agreement with Disney specifies that Disney IS NOT allowed to raise Membership Dues to higher than total of the actual costs. So, this increase in Membership Fees was almost all due to recent renegotiations with the Disney Employees, and their Unions.

I have no trouble with that, but I do wonder this, "If Disney can raise the Membership Fees to cover all costs, then do they have any incentive to keep costs down?"

Even so, at least up until now, we have been getting something of a break. I own another point based timeshare. I have enough points to stay at the resort that I have usually used (the resort is good, but not particularly special) for 15 days in a 1 bedroom unit, and my yearly maintenance fees are currently $2185 per year. Compare that to one of my DVC accounts where enough points to stay in a 1-Bedroom for 10 nights includes membership fees of $1965. It was better, but the DVC dues just went through a massive price increase.

In any case, whenever they do surveys of 'Why do people sell their timeshare?' the Number One answer is ALWAYS, "To get out from under the membership fees." The trouble is, most Timeshares cripple the resale market so, when an owner wants to sell because of burdensome Membership Fees, they can't get more than a few pennies on the dollar. For points that the company sells for $3.50 per point, I bought thousands of points at 12 cents per point and 14 cents per point. This would be equivalent to DVC points selling on the resale market for about 7 dollars per point! How many DVC points would you buy at Resale, if you could get them for $7 per point? And even more importantly to Disney, would ANYONE ever again buy Direct again, for $185 per point?

Poly, AKL, BLT

FCivish3 is offline   Reply With Quote