home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-12-2019, 03:43 PM   #41
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
If you get emails from DVC, your guide's name will be listed in that email
Yes, I got a sales email for CCV and the name of a man I did not recognize was on it. I assume he is my guide.

Luckily, this has been my only guide contact outside of purchasing. I don’t want a relationship with a DVC salesperson.

Until recently we were going to buy some more direct points. Now we are not. Too bad for you, total stranger.

You or your equivalent lied to us about the lockoff premium.

Last edited by Crafty; 02-12-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:05 PM   #42
njgoofy
One Bedroom

I never knew I had a guide. I do remember my sales guy, but he left. I do not recall getting DVC emails, but I'm not complaining.

As has been stated already, Mouseowners is my guide.

Ted
njgoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:21 PM   #43
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
These two posts make me wonder: where does low point end? Where does large point start?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
I think that it is relative.

We might be considered a large point owner, but we never seem to have enough.
It feels like we are barely ekeing out the points for vacations.

Another owner with fewer points might feel like a large point owner because they stay in studios and go once a year. They may be banking every year and feel like a large point owner.

If you want a rule of thumb, I would guess 500 points might be the dividing line.
Some might say 1000.

I would think low point owner would be anything under 150 points since that was the lowest buy-in (though did they go to 100 at one point?). I would still say below 150 since that's about the level you need for a Studio for a week and I think Tom said that's about the size of the average contract.

For large point owners, I would like to put myself in that owning 2 160-point contracts, but that's vanity. I would say 500+ points. Basically, anything that would get you a 2 BR for more than a week.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:58 PM   #44
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

Quote:
These two posts make me wonder: where does low point end? Where does large point start?
I called out the distinction of being a large point owner because I purchased all my points direct and larger accounts were normally given to more senior guides. We don’t receive any special treatment or anything just guides have to work their way up.
When I toured CCV with a friend last Spring, the Orlando guide pulled my account and referred to my guide as Mr California. Everyone knew he was big business.

We are not Facebook friends and I never felt he was cliquey. Just someone that loved what he did and put a lot of time and energy into his work. I purchased my 1st contract direct over the phone because I did not want the typical spiel.
But DVC was different back then and my guides never initiated contact to try and sell me points
DVCQUEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:08 PM   #45
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I would think low point owner would be anything under 150 points since that was the lowest buy-in (though did they go to 100 at one point?). I would still say below 150 since that's about the level you need for a Studio for a week and I think Tom said that's about the size of the average contract.

For large point owners, I would like to put myself in that owning 2 160-point contracts, but that's vanity. I would say 500+ points. Basically, anything that would get you a 2 BR for more than a week.

Dirk
I probably would say sub 100 is low point. I see a lot more of these 75-100 point newer owners lately. To them they think 200 is a lot lol. I would say 150 or so is average. 500 is likely larger contracts. 250-350 does go pretty far even in 2 bedrooms.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:57 PM   #46
AnnaS
Grand Villa

And I just received a call from DVC and was introduced to my new guide. After having the same guide for over 18 years, itís time for a new one for me. My first one just retired. I wish her well.

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:24 AM   #47
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by njgoofy View Post
I never knew I had a guide. I do remember my sales guy, but he left. I do not recall getting DVC emails, but I'm not complaining.

As has been stated already, Mouseowners is my guide.

Ted
If you own DVC or ever spoke with DVC you have an assigned guide. Even if it's been years since you toured or did anything that guide will be assigned to you unless they retire or move on elsewhere.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:11 AM   #48
DougS
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCQUEEN View Post
I called out the distinction of being a large point owner because I purchased all my points direct and larger accounts were normally given to more senior guides. We donít receive any special treatment or anything just guides have to work their way up.
Understood, I wasn't trying to make anything out of my question. Being one of the new kids, I was trying to understand a bit more. I was trying to gauge where our points puts us, in relation to other DVC owners.

We did the math and bought based on our budget and needs. We bought a bit lower than we would have, mostly due to the fact that "we're" not 100% convinced it's the absolute best thing for us yet. We bought enough for a 2 BR every other year: 200 points. The plan has been to potentially add a matching contract at a second Home Resort, which would make a 2 BR every year perfect. I didn't know if that was "normal, low, or high", so that was all I was trying to understand.
1989 - Caribbean
2013 - Disney Cruise Line
2015 - Grand Floridian
2016 - Caribbean Beach Club
2017 - All Star Movies
2018 - CCV
2019 - AKV (April)

DougS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #49
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Understood, I wasn't trying to make anything out of my question. Being one of the new kids, I was trying to understand a bit more. I was trying to gauge where our points puts us, in relation to other DVC owners.

We did the math and bought based on our budget and needs. We bought a bit lower than we would have, mostly due to the fact that "we're" not 100% convinced it's the absolute best thing for us yet. We bought enough for a 2 BR every other year: 200 points. The plan has been to potentially add a matching contract at a second Home Resort, which would make a 2 BR every year perfect. I didn't know if that was "normal, low, or high", so that was all I was trying to understand.

200 points puts you above most owners, but not by much. The average DVC owner has around 150 points.

My first contract was for 220 points, figuring I would make that work every year......ha! Joke was on me.....I added on 2 more times within 8 months of that first contract. I am floating way north of that first contract and still wish I had more points. Eventually I will get back to over 2000 points.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:59 AM   #50
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
I probably would say sub 100 is low point. I see a lot more of these 75-100 point newer owners lately. To them they think 200 is a lot lol. I would say 150 or so is average. 500 is likely larger contracts. 250-350 does go pretty far even in 2 bedrooms.

Yup!

There is a reason why the 1000 point DVC club thread is fairly short. There just aren't a lot of them.