home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Non-DVC-Related Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-11-2017, 08:01 AM   #61
tammymacb
Add-on Aficionado

Thanks so much for the Edinburg information. I can't wait to see the city!

Ah, memory impairment!The free prize at the bottom of every vodka bottle!
Ding, Ding, Ding! Boring story time is now over....
tammymacb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:57 PM   #62
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonv1 View Post
I'm doing this exact cruise on June 30, can't wait.
Patiently waiting.....two more cruise days, 4 more London days.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:43 AM   #63
Nickys
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammymacb View Post
Thanks so much for the Edinburg information. I can't wait to see the city!
How are your plans coming along? Thought I would offer a little bit of random advice, before you all start packing etc.

So, temperatures up here are a few degrees cooler than those in London, noticeably so! And it rains, even in summer. Not just Florida type showers either.

I would pack layers that are easy to take off or put on if necessary. And don't even think of leaving the cruise ship without a waterproof of some kind. Umbrellas? Yeah, it can be windy too. Definitely a proper waterproof required.

I assume, since you're day in Edinburgh is a Sahturday, that the day of your Tattoo visit is a weekday. That's better, because there'll only be one performance. They will start letting people in about 45 minutes before it starts. The choice is between arriving early and queueing for longer, or leaving it until later and be moving but still at the back of the line. The queue is along Castle Terrace, which winds down beside the castle rock, not down the Royal Mile, so as not to block access. Security checks will search bags before they check tickets further up towards the castle.

Remember the castle is on top of Castle Rock. And the seats are banked steeply. Ergo it gets cold as soon as the sun goes down. Bring warm clothes. And the waterproof! If it is raining, the Tattoo will go ahead. There's been like 2 cancellations in 50 years? Something like that. If it is raining, umbrellas are fine up to the moment the Tattoo starts, after that you won't be allowed to have them up. Bring a waterproof bag to stash stuff in. And keep the programme in it's bag too.

You can buy programmes on the any up. There'll be cadets from the services selling them, so no rip offs. You can also hire cushions to sit on - worth it unless you are used to sitting on hard seats for a while.

At the end, you will see people trying to beat the rush to get out. Don't! First, you will miss the finale. The end part starts with the lone piper, then the Last Post. And then all the performers mass on the esplanade. After the salute, they will leave. And the last part is the massed pipes and drums. As there is only one way in and out of the castle, the performers march off and down the street. So do the pipers. Security will hold guests trying to get out, so all that happens is you will have to wait, without being able to see anything!

Oh, and I'm not sure whether anyone is ever fully prepared for their first experience of the massed pipes and drums. It is loud, and stirring. Always brings a tear to my eyes. As does the lone piper. Have a tissue handy

Anything else from a practical POV I think of I will post. Feel free to ask me any questions. I'll probably be awol for a few day's end of next week, but I will be back on before the end of the month.

Someone mentioned meeting for drinks. Sounds great to me. We can arrange later.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:30 PM   #64
D C
Add-on Aficionado

Sooo... any progress in the planning? Need any more pointers, or phone calls to be made (sorry Brian, haven't found any young, single, female relatives on Guernsey yet)
Old 07-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #65
kzrooster
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
How are your plans coming along? Thought I would offer a little bit of random advice, before you all start packing etc.

So, temperatures up here are a few degrees cooler than those in London, noticeably so! And it rains, even in summer. Not just Florida type showers either.

I would pack layers that are easy to take off or put on if necessary. And don't even think of leaving the cruise ship without a waterproof of some kind. Umbrellas? Yeah, it can be windy too. Definitely a proper waterproof required.

I assume, since you're day in Edinburgh is a Sahturday, that the day of your Tattoo visit is a weekday. That's better, because there'll only be one performance. They will start letting people in about 45 minutes before it starts. The choice is between arriving early and queueing for longer, or leaving it until later and be moving but still at the back of the line. The queue is along Castle Terrace, which winds down beside the castle rock, not down the Royal Mile, so as not to block access. Security checks will search bags before they check tickets further up towards the castle.

Remember the castle is on top of Castle Rock. And the seats are banked steeply. Ergo it gets cold as soon as the sun goes down. Bring warm clothes. And the waterproof! If it is raining, the Tattoo will go ahead. There's been like 2 cancellations in 50 years? Something like that. If it is raining, umbrellas are fine up to the moment the Tattoo starts, after that you won't be allowed to have them up. Bring a waterproof bag to stash stuff in. And keep the programme in it's bag too.

You can buy programmes on the any up. There'll be cadets from the services selling them, so no rip offs. You can also hire cushions to sit on - worth it unless you are used to sitting on hard seats for a while.

At the end, you will see people trying to beat the rush to get out. Don't! First, you will miss the finale. The end part starts with the lone piper, then the Last Post. And then all the performers mass on the esplanade. After the salute, they will leave. And the last part is the massed pipes and drums. As there is only one way in and out of the castle, the performers march off and down the street. So do the pipers. Security will hold guests trying to get out, so all that happens is you will have to wait, without being able to see anything!

Oh, and I'm not sure whether anyone is ever fully prepared for their first experience of the massed pipes and drums. It is loud, and stirring. Always brings a tear to my eyes. As does the lone piper. Have a tissue handy

Anything else from a practical POV I think of I will post. Feel free to ask me any questions. I'll probably be awol for a few day's end of next week, but I will be back on before the end of the month.

I'm not even going and want to say thanks for advice and details.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:46 PM   #66
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

Ok, this Stewart Blood just got fired up!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

MY WDW Visits...

1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010
henrycpa91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:43 PM   #67
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

Amazing information, indeed! Thanks so much for sharing.

Absolutely a meet-up for a drink is a must if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post
Sooo... any progress in the planning? Need any more pointers, or phone calls to be made (sorry Brian, haven't found any young, single, female relatives on Guernsey yet)

Bah humbug. But thanks for your efforts, Dave.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:16 AM   #68
goldilocks_63
Two Bedroom

Talking Please post pictures

Trip sounds amazing.

Have fun everyone

Goldi
goldilocks_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:30 AM   #69
flypwm
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammymacb View Post
Flights to London were our first task. I think prices were reasonable for this summer. We booked pretty early, and paid to upgrade to extra legroom. Since we live in Charleston, I booked our flight (non-stop) from a hub (BOS) figuring CHS-BOS would be easy.
I'm just seeing this thread. Did you post the particular flight issue on FlyerTalk? I think I helped someone with an identical scenario if not CHS-BOS, then BOS-LHR on separate tickets, connecting C to E.

If that's you, have a great trip!
flypwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:17 PM   #70
kdzgon
Grand Villa

Quote:
That sounds entirely possible!

It might require a little negotiation, as it happens to be DH's birthday. But I'd be free in the evening, so I'm sure I can get around that little problem.

Now to address the touring plan.....

Edinburgh Castle: it's much bigger than it looks. I would say 3 must do parts are the "Honours of Scotland" i.e. the Crown Jewels, the National War Memorial (which is a hall with books of fallen servicemen for each regiment) and St Margaret's Chapel, right at the top. Then there is a really good walk through exhibition of prisoners of war which is well worth it.

You'll easily fill 2 to 3 hours. Mostly it's easy walking. Obviously there are battlements you can climb stairs to. The jewels are in an apartment with stairs to them. David's tower is down some stairs, but worth it for the story that goes with it.

https://www.edinburghcastle.gov.uk

Now walking from the Castle down the Royal Mile to the Palace of Holyrood takes you through so much history. 10 centuries pretty much, if you count St Margaret's chapel. Even if you don't go in the museums, there are lots of "closes" or alleyways between the buildings. Many, if not all, will have a plaque up explaining it's history, and it's worth exploring a few.

Let me just run through some of the various places on the way from the top, with links so you can look through them.

Camera Obscura - fun hands-on illusions etc. Most interesting is the view from the actual camera at the top. http://www.camera-obscura.co.uk/

Whisky Experience - how they make the amber nectar itself, including a wee dram (at least it used to), fun to do. https://www.scotchwhiskyexperience.co.uk/

Writer's Museum - looking at the lives of Rabbie Burns, Robert Louis Stevenson and Walter Scott. Even if you don't go in, the courtyard and close are worth seeing. I recommend this one. http://www.edinburghmuseums.org.uk/V...riters--Museum

Gladstone's Land - wealthy merchant's house http://www.nts.org.uk/Visit/Gladstones-Land/

At the junction with George IV Bridge, a detour of 300 yards to the statue of Greyfriar's Bobby is surely a must! Tradition has it to rub his head for luck. Greyfriar's Kirk has his master's grave, memorial to the Covenanters, and an interesting historical church. All near by. You could then do a walk down to the Grassmarket and round back to the Royal Mile.

Back to the Royal Mile.

St Giles Cathedral - the High Kirk (Presbyterian) https://www.stgilescathedral.org.uk

Then there's several museums including:

Museum of Childhood -lovely museum but little to do about Edinburgh as such
http://www.edinburghmuseums.org.uk/V...m-of-Childhood

John Knox House - all about the life of John Knox http://www.tracscotland.org/scottish...inside-history

The People's Story - the lives of ordinary people in Edinburgh
http://www.edinburghmuseums.org.uk/V...People-s-Story

Museum of Edinburgh - all about the history of the city http://www.edinburghmuseums.org.uk/V...m-of-Edinburgh

Canongate Kirk - parish church of the Old Town
http://www.canongatekirk.org.uk/

At the bottom of the Royal Mile is the Palace of Holyroodhouse, and round the corner is our Parliament building.

Holyrood - residence of the Queen in Edinburgh, history includes Mary Queen of Scots. State apartments and the Royal Collection https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/v...-holyroodhouse

My suggestion was to walk down from the castle to Holyrood, and then to pick up the green tour bus to complete a full circuit around to the castle stop. This tour has a live guide, rather than a recorded commentary, and is definitely my favourite. You can get it down the Royal Mile, although it does get diverted during the Festival.
http://edinburghtour.com/tours/edinburgh-tour

It would give you a flavour of the city

Now, the Festival will be in it's last weekend, and the Fringe, with all the street performers down the middle part of the Royal Mile (High St), will be over. But I don't know if the buses will be back running all the way down or diverted. Either way, walking down is a great idea.

If you plan to visit Holyrood as well, I doubt if you'd have time to do much more than one of the museums or churches on the way down. If you do the castle, Holyrood and the tour, it would be worth getting the Royal Ticket:
http://edinburghtour.com/ticket-offers

Wow this has taken a while I think you probably have enough to read and digest before trying to decide anything. It all depends on your interests and priorities.

My suggestion would be the Castle, walk down the Royal Mile, possibly Greyfriar's Bobby, lunch, St Giles, maybe then pick up the bus down to Holyrood, jump off and look around a little, finish the bus tour back to the castle.

Come back with any questions once you're ready.
I SO wish I had found this thread before our trip!! Recently returned from a U.K. trip with 2 14 y.o. grandsons. One thing I found in Edinburgh was the traffic prevented us from doing all we wanted to do. Couldn't do Holyrood due to a royal visit, but we also couldn't do all we wanted as it took forever on the bus to get anywhere! I cannot imagine what the traffic will be during Tattoo! We were there June 29-Jul 1(early)...is it possible the traffic was an anomaly? The lines for the Scottish Crown Jewels was very long, too. Seeing those took us over 90 minutes. I'm not sure I would invest that amount of time to see them over some of the other choices in Edinburgh.

Next year's destination is Greece, or possibly a Mediterranean cruise that includes Greece (granddaughter's trip this time, and she has chosen Greece). However, as to 2019, if you sail from ~June 1 - Aug 1, I'd love to join in!

The Tattoo will have to wait until I stop teaching, but I definitely plan on returning to Scotland. We absolutely loved it there!
kdzgon is offline   Reply With Quote