home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Photography and Technology
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-14-2017, 05:54 PM   #1
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

Default thoughts on google photos?

I'm becoming disenchanted with photobucket. Google photos looks like a reasonable alternative. Anyone have any pros/cons or thoughts on other alternatives?

Quick Links:
Amy's Disney books: Camping Disney and A Year of Disney. Both books were inspired by my Mouseowners Trip Reports. For more on the books plus blog posts, photos and videos, check out my new blog: ThemeParkBooks.
MinnieMomofOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:18 PM   #2
luaulei321
Grand Villa

A few people in the chatty thread have tried posting pictures from there, and they never really work for public viewing.
luaulei321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:36 PM   #3
kzrooster
Add-on Aficionado

Snapseed? Is that the same as google?

My daughter uses shutterfly and snapfish.

December at BRV
kzrooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:07 AM   #4
disney65
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzrooster View Post
Snapseed? Is that the same as google?

My daughter uses shutterfly and snapfish.
Snapseed is photo enhancing app for android and iOS. Do not think they host photo sharing.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:28 AM   #5
qwerty1
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

I LOVE google photos! If you put the app on your phone, it will automatically upload all pics and videos from you phone to your google account. The facial recognition is awesome - much better than shutterfly! And you can access your photos anywhere there's internet as well as from the app on your phone. Plus - it's free as long as you use high resolution instead of original resolution.

Good luck!
qwerty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:44 AM   #6
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Which system you use depends on what you want to do with it. Some sites don't make it easy to directly link to a photo sized right for the boards.

Sites like Flickr and Smugmug allow you to store full-size versions of your photos online in galleries that you can design and set privacy controls over. They also allow you to easily link to properly sized versions of those photos for social media and chat boards. You also have to pay. It's a small charge, though.

I look at it this way - photos are your treasured memories. You should definitely have as close to original versions stored off site incase of hard drive crash, theft, or destruction, so why not use a well designed gallery system that gives you maximum control and flexibility?

I'm in the Apple eco-system, but I don't use Photos for anything other than my iDevices simply because it doesn't have the extra sharing features I want, or if it does that I can easily access.

Dirk
Old 05-18-2017, 09:14 AM   #7
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty1 View Post
I LOVE google photos! If you put the app on your phone, it will automatically upload all pics and videos from you phone to your google account. The facial recognition is awesome - much better than shutterfly! And you can access your photos anywhere there's internet as well as from the app on your phone. Plus - it's free as long as you use high resolution instead of original resolution.

Good luck!

I'm always so worried that I'll lose my phone, or it will crash before I got my photos backed up off of it. Google Photos has taken that stress away. It automatically grabs the photo as soon as I take it. Great peace of mind!
WDWGoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:33 AM   #8
qwerty1
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWGoof View Post
I'm always so worried that I'll lose my phone, or it will crash before I got my photos backed up off of it. Google Photos has taken that stress away. It automatically grabs the photo as soon as I take it. Great peace of mind!
That actually happened to me on an old phone and I lost a ton of great pictures and videos from when my twins were babies

So I totally agree!
qwerty1 is offline   Reply With Quote