home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-16-2018, 11:57 PM   #1
bostonRob
Grand Villa

Default Dec 2018

Just got back from 5 days, 4 at BLT and one at CBR.

First Bay Lake Tower... I love it therr, super friendly and helpful staff ... The building however.... WTH is wrong with Disney, the showers need to be redesigned, how much of our dues is going toward water damage around the showers? Every room I have ever been in had horrid water damage.. My shower in 7111 water just ran down the door under and into the floor. Other than that, great place.

CBR.. Last I stayed there was in 09 or so. I can't believe people are paying moderate prices for that dump. The room was disgusting, the bathroom terrible. I got out at 0600 hrs, no reason to stay.

RUMOR... I was told by a DVC info guy that Pop will be becoming a moderate resort soon.... Such a great hotel.

Parks, crowded as heck ... This used to be slow season. Never seen it as crowded as it was. What is up with the merchandise? Everything is homogenized, nothing unique. Every mug is the same, just with different artwork.

Food.. Really went downhill since my last trip in Dec 2016. The food actually sucked. Went to biergarten and after 12 years of going, I'm done. 44 bucks a person and the food was equal to dried up day old food. My shock was Boma.. Always been a great expirence. first, Albert retired so my day sucked from that point. But no goat cheese omlets? WTF,the food is no different than any of the other breakfasts on property ... I'll prolly go back but without Albert the food has too much to make up for to be worth it.

The grounds... Shocking , construction everywhere to the point it made the grounds unpleasant. Everywhere you turn you saw dug up roads, dirt mounts up to Gibraltar ect. By the way, the gondola system is ridiculous in my opinion. They could have got the ball out of the park by doing another monorail.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:10 AM   #2
Redhead58
Two Bedroom

I am sorry your trip was disappointing. You should make a formal complaint, if you haven’t done so already. BLT is supposed to be a 5 star resort, isn’t it?

I guess I am glad I am not doing a full week trip until 2021. Maybe some of the construction will be finished. I too wish they had gone for another monorail, or even an old fashioned train. I know I will not want to ride a gondola during bad weather.

My next trip is only two nights next October, a resort only stay at CCV, mostly because I needed to stay in the area before meeting family at Daytona. I wanted to check out some of the changes too, and see what the WL resort is like. I have never stayed there, so I thought I’d check it out.

BLT
BWV
CCV
Redhead58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:06 AM   #3
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
First Bay Lake Tower... I love it therr, super friendly and helpful staff ... The building however.... WTH is wrong with Disney, the showers need to be redesigned, how much of our dues is going toward water damage around the showers? Every room I have ever been in had horrid water damage.. My shower in 7111 water just ran down the door under and into the floor. Other than that, great place.
Don't get that either.....you would think it would have been addressed a long time ago.

Quote:
RUMOR... I was told by a DVC info guy that Pop will be becoming a moderate resort soon.... Such a great hotel.
Very doubtful. Art of Animation would become a Moderate first, and that has not happened yet. The resort does not meet the Moderate Resort qualifications.

Quote:
Parks, crowded as heck ... This used to be slow season. Never seen it as crowded as it was. What is up with the merchandise? Everything is homogenized, nothing unique. Every mug is the same, just with different artwork.
We were super surprised of the crowd levels last weekend. They were more like a summer weekend crowd.....very busy.

Quote:
Food.. Really went downhill since my last trip in Dec 2016. The food actually sucked. Went to biergarten and after 12 years of going, I'm done. 44 bucks a person and the food was equal to dried up day old food. My shock was Boma.. Always been a great expirence. first, Albert retired so my day sucked from that point. But no goat cheese omlets? WTF,the food is no different than any of the other breakfasts on property ... I'll prolly go back but without Albert the food has too much to make up for to be worth it.
Food is always hit or miss. Our last few trips, the food has been very good. It does suck when a new chef takes over and makes changes or just is not good enough.

Quote:
The grounds... Shocking , construction everywhere to the point it made the grounds unpleasant. Everywhere you turn you saw dug up roads, dirt mounts up to Gibraltar ect. By the way, the gondola system is ridiculous in my opinion. They could have got the ball out of the park by doing another monorail.
The construction is quite crazy and won't be changing much over the next year, until fall. Then all the construction around DHS will be done.....Star Wars, Buses, Parking lot, Gondola and Riviera Resort. Unfortunately, Epcot will see construction ongoing for the next 3 years.

Also, adding a monorail would have been super, super expensive to build.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:10 AM   #4
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead58 View Post
I am sorry your trip was disappointing. You should make a formal complaint, if you haven’t done so already. BLT is supposed to be a 5 star resort, isn’t it?

No.....Does not meet the criteria for a 5 star designation.

This is not a set in stone description, more of a guideline of what the star requirements should be for a hotel.

Criteria Used for a Star Rating

Even though the star-rating system is somewhat diluted, in general, each system uses a set of criteria to evaluate hotels. In most systems, the stars are used to evaluate the key features, amenities and quality of the services provided by a hotel. This is why you'll see different systems in different countries, since something as simple as a bathroom with a hot shower might be considered an extreme luxury in some places. However, many companies and ratings programs worldwide, such as the popular hotel-booking site Expedia, use similar criteria, described here.
One-Star Hotel

A one-star hotel offers basic rooms that might have just a bed and a side table. Bathrooms are likely shared with others on your floor, and any refreshments are usually found in a vending machine. A one-star hotel typically won't have any on-site facilities, and the hotel's reception desk probably won't be open 24 hours. Don't expect a TV, a telephone or even daily housekeeping services.

Two-Star Hotel

A two-star hotel is certainly an upgrade from a one-star hotel, but not by much. At a two-star hotel, the reception desk is likely open 24 hours. Rooms probably have clothing racks or closets, telephones and TVs, though the TV could be quite old. You'll have a private bathroom, but with only a shower, not a tub. The hotel won't provide many services, but you might get a continental breakfast.
Three-Star Hotel

A three-star hotel isn't too cheap or too fancy; it's just right. The owners want guests to feel relaxed and comfortable in their rooms without needing to spend too much money. There are typically restaurants and bars on-site, as well as assistance bringing your baggage to your room. The rooms are generally larger, more comfortable and with more furniture.
Four-Star Hotel

Four-star hotels are extremely nice, and you'll notice the difference as soon as you walk into the lobby and see the decor. The rooms are often bigger and fancier, with a large bed, a minibar, a safe, a workstation, bathrobes and a modern TV. The hotel usually offers valet parking, a spa, a gym, a pool and similar services.
Five-Star Hotel

A five-star hotel has all the amenities you'd hope to find in a hotel and more. Five-star hotels usually have luxurious spas and gigantic lobbies and provide welcome gifts and butler service. A typical room has an oversized bathroom lined with marble counters and a large vanity laden with high-end toiletries. Most five-star resorts have golf courses, tennis courts, health clubs with personal trainers and even child-care services.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:42 PM   #5
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead58 View Post

I guess I am glad I am not doing a full week trip until 2021. Maybe some of the construction will be finished. I too wish they had gone for another monorail, or even an old fashioned train. I know I will not want to ride a gondola during bad weather.

My next trip is only two nights next October, a resort only stay at CCV, mostly because I needed to stay in the area before meeting family at Daytona. I wanted to check out some of the changes too, and see what the WL resort is like. I have never stayed there, so I thought I’d check it out.
BLT is a timeshare. It falls unde Disney’s “Deluxe Villas” umbrella as all DVC does but it’s Disney Deluxe and not real world Deluxe. Said another way- Disney does not own any 5 star resorts. I’m not certain they even really own any 4 star resorts - more like 3 1/2.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:45 PM   #6
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

PVB has been the worst for showers for us. It really is worrisome there. My last room was missing a piece on the door and allowed water out no matter how careful I was.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:55 PM   #7
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
PVB has been the worst for showers for us. It really is worrisome there. My last room was missing a piece on the door and allowed water out no matter how careful I was.
FWIW PVB studios have two showers, one in the tub and one with a seat. With any luck one of them will work properly!

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:58 PM   #8
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I hope you reported it. Honestly the stand alone shower at PVB studios is my favorite out of all resorts I've stayed in. Sucks when something is broke and doesn't work right though.

We had that in our BCV 2 bedroom last year. The door was just not closing right no matter what. Sad thing was the rooms were refurbished not that long ago.

Food is always hit or miss for us. To the point where we don't ever let it be a focus. Lately it's been better, but we tend to go to slightly less popular locations. We also tend to always avoid buffets as I never find them worth the money at this point.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:53 PM   #9
jflatto
Grand Villa

Quote:
BLT is a timeshare. It falls unde Disney’s “Deluxe Villas” umbrella as all DVC does but it’s Disney Deluxe and not real world Deluxe. Said another way- Disney does not own any 5 star resorts. I’m not certain they even really own any 4 star resorts - more like 3 1/2.
The old adage: "location, location, location". Totally agree on your definition of "Disney Deluxe".

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon; May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member; May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV; May/June 2010 - VWL; July 2010 - VGC; Christmas 2010 - BLT; May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV; July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!; October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP; June 2012 - BCV; December 2012 - BLT for Christmas; June 2013 - Kidani and BWV; December 2013 - VGF and BLT and then Universal, December 2014 - BWV; May/June 2015 - Universal Studios and AKV and SSR; December 2015 - Fantasy for Christmas; October 2016 - Universal and MNSSHP; May/June 2017 - Universal and BWV; October 2017 - 25th Anniversary - AKV and CCR; June 2018 - Adult only - BWV
jflatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:39 PM   #10
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

curious to know if the monorail or gondolas will have a higher capacity.

We recently stayed at VGF from Dec. 1-8 and the monorails -- particularly during evening hours on non-party nights -- were horrific. It was not uncommon to wait 20+ minutes just to get on one.

On Saturday (12/1) -- it took me an hour to get into the parks (after having to stand in line for about 20 minutes to activate AP at guest services outside the park). Monday evening took over 20 minutes again...but Wednesday evening was only about 5 minutes.

I stayed at VGF last year during the same time and did not ever have this same issue. The security gates were already set up last year, so that isn't different. Not sure what the problem was...but it was the worst I have seen it in 6 trips.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote