home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Community Hole
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 02:49 PM   #11
broganmc
Grand Villa

So they drained about 1500ml of fluid from his lungs. We're waiting to see him. All that fluid made it hard for him to breathe and talk. Were also not good at charades. But our family is around supporting each other and him, trading jokes when needed.

I have a lot odd support all around me. Godsons to help me at home and with physical stuff. Siblings to help be at Dads bedside and coordinate his care. A terrific hospital staff being so good with him. And my family is all keeping in touch via a family text chat. Every little update or question gets posted.

We are strong. Hes strong. Remember the Grim Reaper has tried to take my Dad out many times. He's a hard man to kill. He's got too much left to do. And really who would ever want to leave this family?

Thank you for the prayers and pixie dust. Keep it up.

SSR Oct 13-20
BLT Oct 20-25
Cypress Harbour Oct 25-Nov 10
Old 01-15-2018, 02:55 PM   #12
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by broganmc View Post
So they drained about 1500ml of fluid from his lungs. We're waiting to see him. All that fluid made it hard for him to breathe and talk. Were also not good at charades. But our family is around supporting each other and him, trading jokes when needed.

I have a lot odd support all around me. Godsons to help me at home and with physical stuff. Siblings to help be at Dads bedside and coordinate his care. A terrific hospital staff being so good with him. And my family is all keeping in touch via a family text chat. Every little update or question gets posted.

We are strong. Hes strong. Remember the Grim Reaper has tried to take my Dad out many times. He's a hard man to kill. He's got too much left to do. And really who would ever want to leave this family?

you are most fortunate to have such a family in good times and bad.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, Shorty, and Chippy )
Old 01-15-2018, 03:19 PM   #13
Fmer55
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

In your horribly trying time you made me chuckle with that line. Prayers and thoughts for the GP Mohawk.

Was actually thinking of him when I went into Harmony barber over NYE trip for the first time. Thinking this is where GP Mohawk gets his 'Do from.

Hang tough Jen

DH, me(Mike)MOD136, DW DD11DD8
Old 01-15-2018, 03:48 PM   #14
yahoo
Studio

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I had hoped I'd never have to write this or it would come many years from now. Nonetheless I must report my dad is in very ill. He's currently in the ICU of our local hospital.

He had been dealing with some health issues over the last few months. (At 85 you have a litany of issues to treat and balance.) We couldn't quite figure out why things were going awry because everything seemed to have another reasonable explanation. He's been going to wound care for psoriasis sores on his lower legs. He's had general weakness from acute anemia ( a condition we've been treating for over a year with Aranesp injections). He's had fluid retention around his middle from compression of his lower legs and lack of walking. And he's had ulcers form in random places, again from contact abrasions.

Just before we left for Disney over NYE he visited several of his doctors for continuing care. Things seemed under control. And indeed he had a good time with us in Florida, despite the cold. But when we returned, his energy was low and his leg sores were worsening. This week things became dramatically worse and apparent what caused it.

He was diagnosed on Wednesday with Methotrexate Toxicity. Methotrexate is a medicine he takes to temper his psoriatic arthritis. (I take it as well for my JRA.) He had been fine with it for almost 2 years. They raised his dosage slightly in September and wacky things began to happen. Basically Methotrexate robs cells of folic acid and causes them to die. Despite all precautions, the methotrexate spontaneously acted to shut down his bone marrow. That means he is no longer producing red or white blood cells or platelets. His counts are critically low, almost nonexistent.

In addition to that, Friday morning he woke up and fell getting out of bed. Lightheadedness and weakness at play. He banged up his right elbow pretty good. Nothing broken but he did bleed pretty badly. My nephew and I had paramedics take him to the hospital where he's been ever since.

My amazing family has been with him around the clock. The grandkids are old enough now they have busy lives and schedules but still dropped everything to come. My niece and her boyfriend drove all the way from college in Winchester, VA Friday to be with him and take care of me overnight. (I'm independent mostly but I still need help with some things.) And we've all been taking turns staying overnight by my dad's beside offering whatever assistance or comfort we can.

He is in serious condition, hovering between grave and critical. Today was especially difficult because despite the many transfusions his bone marrow has still not kicked in. He's stopped bleeding but he has fluid and blood in his lungs making it difficult to breathe. We all spent the weekend watching his monitors and tracking his heart rate, BP and oxygen saturation. He's being given a combination of 100% oxygen rebreather (think old fashioned oxygen mask) and a humidifier with oxygen. Those mouth throat sores are very painful and raw.

I am my dad's chosen representative. I forget what you call it but I basically fill the role of spouse. It got very shocking and horrible today when I had several doctors asking me about his Advance Directives and looking for guidance how far to treat this fragile 85 yr old man. Fortunately, Dad and I have been talking about this stuff ever since my mom passed away 14 years ago. We both have estate plans, living wills, trusts, power of attorneys and directives setup. We even have grave plots waiting. (My mom insisted we buy 4 plots hen she died so my dad and I would have a place beside her. Yes, that is a very eerie thing to live with.)

But you know my dad and I. We're fighters. Life has dealt us lemons but we always turn them into interesting frosty lemonades.

So please please send up your prayers for my dad and our family. We have two more trips planned this year (to Disney for my second cousin's first ever Disney princess trip and to Williamsburg with the whole family over the summer) and a third one I'm working on to Disney for the whole family in October. Plus my dad is still working and has a close staff all relying on him and praying for him. He knows he has a lot left to live for. (His grandchildren insist he's got to be around to see them marry and have kids.) We keep telling my mom's spirit, we love her but she can't have Dad yet. God willing that will be true.

I'll keep you posted as I can.

Praying for you and your family.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:21 PM   #15
disneycrazy
Add-on Aficionado

Jen, thoughts are with you and your family. You also have an online family that will provide as much support as we can. Take care, hope G Mohawk gets better soon.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:32 PM   #16
Indy
Add-on Aficionado

Prayers

WDW
Old 01-15-2018, 04:36 PM   #17
dvcnewbie1212
Grand Villa

Sending prayers of health and strength for Grandpa, you and the rest of your family.
2012 AKV 1st DVC visit
2013 SSR waterpark trip
2013 AKV Girls Only
2014 DCL,VB,OKW
2015 PVB & AKV
Old 01-15-2018, 06:34 PM   #18
administrator
Ms. Personality

Oh, jeez, Jen. That flat out sucks. Both you and GM are in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:49 PM   #19
disneyteach
Two Bedroom

I'm so glad you and your dad are both surrounded by helpful family. Sending many thoughts and prayers.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:55 PM   #20
babysimba
Two Bedroom

I was so sorry to read this Jen. Sending you, Grampa Mohawk and your whole family peaceful thoughts and prayers. Please remember to take care of
"you" during this difficult time.

Much love from NH and a fellow MO.
Closed Thread