home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tours and Events
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-27-2019, 08:14 AM   #1
Joeli
Two Bedroom

Default DVC Star Wars Galactic Gathering - Canceled

Well, it continues...the cash grab for SW... Anyone that goes, I would love to hear about it. I will be getting ready for Tax day! lol

https://wdwnt.com/2019/03/dvc-member...on-april-10th/

Joey

Upcoming:
Sept 2020 - DCL Fantasy
May 2020 - PVB
Apr 2020 - PVB
Mar 2020 - PVB
Feb 2020 - BWV
Dec/Jan 2020 - PVB/BWV (Split for NYE)
Dec 2019 - RCCL Allure of the Seas
Nov 2019 - BWV
Oct 2019 - BWV

Done:
2019 (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sept) - DCL Magic - Miami - Marvel day at Sea, BRV, PVB, Swan, Swan, BWV, Swan, BWV, BLT
2018 (Jan, May, June, Aug, Sept, Nov, Dec) - DCL Fantasy - Orlando - Star Wars day at Sea, BLT, Swan x 2, Hilton Bonnet Creek, BWV/AKV (Kidani), Swan, SSR
2017 (Jan, May, Oct) - VGF, BLT, BRV
2016 (Feb, May) - PVB, BRV/BWV
2015/2014 (Sept) - BCV, AoA (Little Mermaid/Nemo/Lion King)

Last edited by carolina_yankee; 04-04-2019 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Change Title to Reflect Update
Joeli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:20 AM   #2
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeli View Post
Well, it continues...the cash grab for SW... Anyone that goes, I would love to hear about it. I will be getting ready for Tax day! lol

https://wdwnt.com/2019/03/dvc-member...on-april-10th/

Joey
I'm not sure I'd call it a cash grab as it's a special event that in no way has anything to do with park touring or an enhanced vacation experience. To me, cash grabs are FP slots, fireworks/parade viewings from key locations that used to be free, special sections at a resort pool, etc.

However, it is indeed pricy and $225 for a photo op and a Boma-style buffet is not on my list of fun things to do!

Now, if it were held *IN* SWGE, that would be cool and the cost could be more in-line as a special land preview, but it's nowhere near guest ready.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:01 AM   #3
RweTHEREyet
Add-on Aficionado

Not going to be there and not sorry we will be missing it. At that price I don't think we would be going even if we were there.

RweTHEREyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:16 AM   #4
Goofy Dad 13
Grand Villa

Agree with Dirk, just a special event that is not taking anything away from anyone, it is held in Epcot and does not even include a special viewing area for participants.

Goofy Dad 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:50 AM   #5
FessParker1
Grand Villa

And you need a park ticket to get in. I'm not renewing til Nov. so this is out.
FessParker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:35 AM   #6
BEAM4DVC
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I'm not sure I'd call it a cash grab ...

Dirk

There will always be people who are willing to pay for merchandise, an experience or anything else that is being sold.

I don't consider that a "cash grab," I call it marketing. Disney is in the business of selling. If you don't want what they are offering, walk on by because I assure you that there's someone behind you that will buy their goods and services. Just because you don't want it or can't afford it doesn't mean someone else doesn't or can't. We spend our money the way we need to and want to and I suspect that's true for all of us.

Some people would look at DVC owners and say we fell for a timeshare pitch. But I think for most of us, DVC is worth the initial outlay and ongoing expense because we enjoy what is offered.

As I tell our children, "There will always be people who have more than we have and people who have less."
BEAM4DVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:39 AM   #7
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

This seems so strange to me...it is a SW event in EPCOT, not HWS where they are building SW land....how weird.

And it is really pricey...and they didnt give people much notice.

Id be shocked if this goes over well. Seems like short notice to me....

Also, as far ast SW stuff goes, we have decided to wait on all things SW till the new section has been open a while. We were looking for a fun "add on " extra event for our January trip and I seriously considered the SW dessert party. But, for the price, I decided I be happier to wait and see what cool things are in the real SW land [SWGE] once it opens.

just my two cents

Trip Report:
The Tale of Two Trips - The Princesses & The Dudes Take On NYE
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=134143

Spring Break Trip Report / How To Beat The Crowds & Still Have FUN!
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64670

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS22 DD16

DisneyTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:23 PM   #8
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyTravelers View Post
This seems so strange to me...it is a SW event in EPCOT, not HWS where they are building SW land....how weird.

And it is really pricey...and they didnt give people much notice.

Id be shocked if this goes over well. Seems like short notice to me....

Also, as far ast SW stuff goes, we have decided to wait on all things SW till the new section has been open a while. We were looking for a fun "add on " extra event for our January trip and I seriously considered the SW dessert party. But, for the price, I decided I be happier to wait and see what cool things are in the real SW land [SWGE] once it opens.

just my two cents

The World Showcase is where they have many private parties, especially during Food & Wine. This is in line with that.

I wonder if the suddenness is because they had a gap in booking for some private events and decided to just work up a fancy meet & greet and buffet to make some money.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:29 PM   #9
Joeli
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
The World Showcase is where they have many private parties, especially during Food & Wine. This is in line with that.

I wonder if the suddenness is because they had a gap in booking for some private events and decided to just work up a fancy meet & greet and buffet to make some money.

Dirk
Perhaps they are testing some of the Food and Drink Options that may be available for SW:GE?

Joey

Upcoming:
Sept 2020 - DCL Fantasy
May 2020 - PVB
Apr 2020 - PVB
Mar 2020 - PVB
Feb 2020 - BWV
Dec/Jan 2020 - PVB/BWV (Split for NYE)
Dec 2019 - RCCL Allure of the Seas
Nov 2019 - BWV
Oct 2019 - BWV

Done:
2019 (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sept) - DCL Magic - Miami - Marvel day at Sea, BRV, PVB, Swan, Swan, BWV, Swan, BWV, BLT
2018 (Jan, May, June, Aug, Sept, Nov, Dec) - DCL Fantasy - Orlando - Star Wars day at Sea, BLT, Swan x 2, Hilton Bonnet Creek, BWV/AKV (Kidani), Swan, SSR
2017 (Jan, May, Oct) - VGF, BLT, BRV
2016 (Feb, May) - PVB, BRV/BWV
2015/2014 (Sept) - BCV, AoA (Little Mermaid/Nemo/Lion King)

Joeli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:38 PM   #10
Lovetheboardwalk
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAM4DVC View Post

There will always be people who are willing to pay for merchandise, an experience or anything else that is being sold.
"
I guess not always... as it was cancelled. I wonder if this has them concerned about all of the SW/GE extras...

Home Sweet Home:
**BWV 1999 **BRV 2017**

**Boulder Ridge Jan. 2020**
**Boardwalk Feb. 2020**
Resorts we still need to visit: VGF, AKL, Poly, & DRR
Lovetheboardwalk is offline   Reply With Quote