home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tours and Events
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-04-2019, 04:40 PM   #31
WiltonJohn
Two Bedroom

I'm guessing the real Star Wars fans will wait to spend the bucks on extra stuff in a few weeks/month when Galaxy's Edge opens. No real draw in Epcot when Batuu is lurking a short hyperspace jump away.

Timing is everything.

best,

............john
Old 04-04-2019, 04:44 PM   #32
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post
I'm guessing the real Star Wars fans will wait to spend the bucks on extra stuff in a few weeks/month when Galaxy's Edge opens. No real draw in Epcot when Batuu is lurking a short hyperspace jump away.

Timing is everything.

best,

............john
$225 was ridiculous for what was being offered - way more expensive than DAH, which gives you many attractions in an empty park; way more expensive then most tours, and nearly as expensive as the Ultimate VIP Experience for AK.

Just because it's Star Wars, doesn't mean it's worth tons of $$$. I would pay $225 for access to the land at a special event; not for access to a generic events space with some props tossed in, a couple of costumed folks, and Illuminations viewing.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:52 PM   #33
WiltonJohn
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
$225 was ridiculous for what was being offered
Everything they are going to offer that is Star Wars/Galaxy's Edge themed in any way in HS will be "over priced" relative to what it actually contains. That is the "magic" of the Star Wars fanbase. People will pay it. I'm guessing this event was actually a cheap price tag.

Move the same thing to the Batuu environment... and people will be lining up.

best,

..........john
Old 04-04-2019, 06:08 PM   #34
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post
Everything they are going to offer that is Star Wars/Galaxy's Edge themed in any way in HS will be "over priced" relative to what it actually contains. That is the "magic" of the Star Wars fanbase. People will pay it. I'm guessing this event was actually a cheap price tag.

Move the same thing to the Batuu environment... and people will be lining up.

best,

..........john
It *might* have been worth it if it was actually inside the land.

Iím thinking the Star Wars fanbase isnít going to be conned by overpriced events with little substance. My bet is they will pay for substance, not for fluff.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:57 PM   #35
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Wow. This is kinda newsy, and it seems like they didn't give much time for the event, either.

So, I guess Disney found that line that people won't cross to pay for events with questionable return.

So sorry for those who booked. Hope you can find something else special to do on your trips!

Dirk

My daughter and I are soooo disappointed. We were excited about this event. While it probably wasnít worth the money, we wanted to go. We got a cancellation call this afternoon from Disney.

Clearly, not enough people signed up.

Maybe Disney was thinking that the people from the Star Wars race weekend would still be onsite and would attend. Also, arenít a lot of SW fans at an event in Chicago next week? They would be unavailable.

Normally, the GG event would be too pricey for us. Unusual circumstances caused us to book. I donít think we have ever booked an up charge event before.

We cancelled the whole trip and wonít be going to WDW next week. Neither of us felt we wanted to go without GG.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:05 AM   #36
sawickipedia
One Bedroom

If the did this event in SW:GE as a preview tour (not ride preview just a limited say photo-op view of the Millennium Falcon) I bet it sells out at $225 in a heart beat.

Last edited by sawickipedia; 04-05-2019 at 12:06 AM. Reason: edit
sawickipedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:26 AM   #37
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawickipedia View Post
If the did this event in SW:GE as a preview tour (not ride preview just a limited say photo-op view of the Millennium Falcon) I bet it sells out at $225 in a heart beat.
Weíre in !!

We have a trip in late Aug, just before GE opens. It is a birthday trip for my daughter.

She was bummed that we are leaving for home just before GE opens. A preview event would be perfect for us. It would be even better with characters and cupcakes.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:39 AM   #38
fuzzylogic
One Bedroom

I could see some draw to this... if you're going in April, and you love Star Wars, and won't make it back later in the year for the real stuff...

But...

They could maybe pull it off on May the 4th not April 10th.

It's geared toward kids (cupcakes and characters) so $210/kid is too much. At $60 it would have been popular... $75-$90 on the high end.

Party nights are more like $90, so $210-$225 was super high. This would have to be on the scale of Star Wars Weekends and I think it's pretty clear that photo ops and cupcakes were not going to do it.
fuzzylogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:16 AM   #39
WiltonJohn
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Iím thinking the Star Wars fanbase isnít going to be conned by overpriced events with little substance.
You do not understand the power of The Dark Side!

best,

...........john
Old 04-05-2019, 01:38 PM   #40
Lovetheboardwalk
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAM4DVC View Post

There will always be people who are willing to pay for merchandise, an experience or anything else that is being sold.
"
I guess not always... as it was cancelled. I wonder if this has them concerned about all of the SW/GE extras...

Home Sweet Home:
**BWV 1999 **BRV 2017**

**Boulder Ridge Jan. 2020**
**Boardwalk Feb. 2020**
Resorts we still need to visit: VGF, AKL, Poly, & DRR
Lovetheboardwalk is offline   Reply With Quote