home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tours and Events
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-20-2019, 06:49 PM   #1
disneyridleys
Grand Villa

Default For those of you that have done Keys to the Kingdom...

Hey guys!
DH and I are planning an adults trip in February (we are doing the Princess half marathon - Lord help us!)
Anywho, we are looking at doing some tours for this trip. We would like to try Keys to the Kingdom, but we were wondering how those of you that tried it liked it. We are trivia and little-known-facts kind of people. We did the Steam trains tour and enjoyed that. We are also looking at the Epcot DestiNations discovered. We can't do both, however, because of time constraints.
So, for those of you that did Keys, was it worth it?
disneyridleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:10 PM   #2
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

I would say do Keys to the Kingdom and leave the Epcot tour (which I haven't done yet) for another time. It takes you into the Utilidors and shows the nitty-gritty of how MK operates.

Undiscovered Future World (EP) and Wild Africa Trek (AK) are also very much worthwhile, but Keys to the Kingdom is a good place to start. You don't truly understand MK without it.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:31 PM   #3
ssdownthehatch
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyridleys View Post
Hey guys!

Yes
Old 10-20-2019, 08:41 PM   #4
reblzmom
Grand Villa

Agree with previous comments. Did the Keys to the Kingdom tour several years ago with our (then) 20 something boys. We all really enjoyed it. It is a longer time commitment but we were all very glad to have done it.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:48 PM   #5
Lola
Studio

We really enjoyed the Keys to the Kingdom tour!
Did it for my DDs 16th birthday trip a couple of years ago. It starts quite early, so also a great time to get some fabulous pictures on an empty Main Street (if there are no EMH). Enjoy!
Old 10-20-2019, 09:00 PM   #6
disneyridleys
Grand Villa

Excellent! Thank you guys for your responses! I appreciate it!

We are intrigued by the idea of seeing the Utilidors and hearing some of the stories! We will give it a shot!
disneyridleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:11 PM   #7
richviii
Two Bedroom

Agree. KttK tour was awesome and filled with very interesting facts. You do get to go see the utilidors but it is not a huge tour of them is on Main Street. There is no photography (so FYI on that). Worth every penny! (also includes a pin)

Recent
2019 Jan - AKV, Apr - HHI, Apr - CCV, BCV, May - Off-Site, Jun Poly2018 Jan - Swan & Dolphin, Apr - BCV, July - Disneyland, Sept - BLT, Nov - Swan & Dolphin, BLT 2017 Apr- BWV/BLT, Aug - VGC and Aulani, Dec - BWV & BLT 2016 Dec- BLT, Dec - Disneyland, Aug - Disney CX Summit - GF, Apr - BWV/BTL, 2015 - Nov - BWV/S&D, June - Off-Site, Apr - Contemporary/Off-Site, Feb - S&D, Jan 15 - Off-Site, 2014 - Nov - BLT, Aug - Off-Site, May - Off-Site, Mar - Off-Site, 2013 - Nov - Off-Site, Jun - Off-Site, 2012 Nov - Off-Site
richviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:59 PM   #8
Sephorin
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyridleys View Post
Hey guys!
It was definitely worth it. Getting behind Splash Mountain and seeing the utilidors was great. They also do a very nice job with lunch. I would point out: it is a pretty long tour. Over eight hours. That could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your point of view.

If you prefer a shorter tour, Marceline to Magic Kingdom is EXCELLENT (and cheaper). Plus you get to experience my favorite moment in either tour: backstage access to the mechanics behind the ghost dining room scene in Haunted Mansion. That was amazing. (No utilidors, though.)

I'm sure you'll have fun no matter what you decide!
Sephorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:28 AM   #9
Chris71855
Studio

Yea I agree with what everyone previously said. If youre a Disney trivia nerd I think its a must do for sure. I took it a few weeks ago, and even knowing probably 50% of the things that I heard the 50% I didnt were really cool and interesting.

The one thing I would say is if youre doing it MAINLY for the utilidor, Its only about 30 minutes of the total tour, and its definitely all utility, nothing too showy. (Probably still my favorite part of the tour though) We ended up seeing two Merida's walking the halls with each other. One looked like she was on the way out, wig in hand, and the other fully made up ready to start her shift. It was hilarious!
Chris71855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:37 AM   #10
AnnaS
Grand Villa

We think it was definitely worth it. We had a very early tour. It was neat to see everyone coming in the park "from the inside" when the park opened.

Yes, it is a long tour but worth it. Lot's of walking and standing.

When we took the tour about 9-10 years, they had water/coffee available in the morning.

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote