home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tours and Events
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #41
eileenkeeney
Passing the time on a more satisfying site

My niece is going as Snow White, so I think I will go as a poison apple.

I was going to go as a Lego Skeleton (with glow-in-the-dark bones) but since I have not started making the costume yet, that costume will probably not get completed. We are going in mid September, so I don't have much time.

A poison apple costume will be easier to make.
I can also easily make it comfortable, as long as I only care that it is obvious I am an apple, and not feel like I actually have to look like all of me, is part of a poison apple.
I am thinking that doing my legs and arms as worms would be fun, but the Apple that Snow White ate, did not look like it had worms.
I will more likely just have a human head, human arms, and human legs sticking out of my Apple. Maybe I will add a hat that represents a stem and some leaves. But I don't want to cover my face, or make my self too wide.
The costume has to stand up to heat, humidity, and possibly rain.
I also have to be able to go on rides safely.
eileenkeeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #42
eileenkeeney
Passing the time on a more satisfying site

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmoneous View Post
I always go dressed as a Disney World Tourist.
If I don't get busy soon, I might have to default to this costume as well.
eileenkeeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #43
Minniesota
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post
If I don't get busy soon, I might have to default to this costume as well.
When that happens, my husband just throws on his go-to Jack Sparrow wig. This year should be interesting... Belle and... Jack Sparrow?
Minniesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:43 AM   #44
RockinRobyn
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfugina View Post
LOL at the responses so far. But in all seriousness, I'm curious about this too.

We've been to this party 4 times, and I've never gone in costume. The kids do, but anything I would typically wear at a Halloween event would be way too hot for Florida. The kids don't usually have a problem with their costumes, but if I wear anything heavier than shorts and a t-shirt, I'll sweat myself nasty (my stand-by costume is my multi-layer renaissance style peasant outfit).

I've tried to consider what kind of costume I could manage for myself and still be comfortable. But the shoes need to be either flat, or tennis-shoes that could be covered up, there needs to be no make-up, and it needs to not be heavy so that I don't pass out from heat stroke.

I'm going to try again this year to figure something out that won't kill me, but I'm interested in what others do.
This is always something I factor in when choosing our costumes. Plus I need to be able to wear flat shoes, lots of outfits would call for heels or boots, no way!

Last year we went as Greek gods and goddesses, strappy flip flops and cool lightweight fabrics.

This year we are going with mickey and Minnie inspired outfits. I am going for a 50's style red spotty dress with white gloves and Minnie ears. Hubby has red shorts, white shirt, yellow bow tie, white gloves back cardigan and mickey ears with yellow flip flops
RockinRobyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #45
Kickapoo Joie Juice
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobynPrincess View Post

Last year we went as Greek gods and goddesses, strappy flip flops and cool lightweight fabrics.
Our friends did that last year and were very comfortable. Gaston was totally hitting on my friend dressed as a greek goddess (she could carry it off very well!).
Kickapoo Joie Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #46
disneystitch626
Grand Villa

Myself in a Speedo and flip flops.

Eve's day job.

Founding member of the Mouse Miser Points Club..."How low can you go?"

disneystitch626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #47
jfugina
One Bedroom

These replies are SO GREAT! I'm seriously pondering several of these ideas. I'm really fond of the group ideas. Our cast for the party this year is most likely to be SIL and me, my DD10, my DS6, and her DD4. I think the Nemo shirts are particularly brilliant and could work for a group composed of any gender and any age. I might seriously steal that one. The trick is convincing the kids - they usually think the more elaborate the costume, the better. It would also be an easy thing to adapt if any additional members of our travel party decide to attend.

Though the trick now is time - if I don't get on this quick, even a simple t-shirt is not likely to happen. October is just around the corner! Aaaahhh!
Old 08-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #48
BnD
Studio

I am going as the Dark Mad Hatter, DW is going as the Red Queen, DGD4 is going as Alice, DGD3 is going as a Tea Party Princess..

We were going to wear our Star Wars Weekend costumes but they are no a great match for a Halloween party. We will be attending the 1st party on 9/10..

Old 08-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #49
DizKrazKate
Two Bedroom

Baby girl is going as Alice, and I am the Red Queen. Both costumes from Esty. Mine is simply an Queen of Hearts apron that I am wearing over a comfy jersey dress from Lands End. I have a heart headband to top it off.

If you are looking for something quick and cool costume aprons are awesome, and there are lots of shops that sell Disney themed ones.

To self plug, my shop has Halloween colored tie dye. We do sell quite a few for folks for the party.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #50
JerseyAmy
Grand Villa

We were going to do Pirates of the Caribbean theme (party on 10/22). Hubby would be Blackbeard, son would be Jack Sparrow and I would be Angelica Teach or Elizabeth Swann.

I am trying to convince my husband that we will likely be too hot in those costumes, and that something Roman/Greek would be cooler. Possibly Norse. The pirate stuff includes boots, jackets, layers, etc. Husband always gets hot and almost never wears a sweatshirt or coat at Disney. He usually wears flip flops too.... So I am lobbying to change from the original idea....
JerseyAmy is offline   Reply With Quote