home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tours and Events
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-30-2019, 11:43 AM   #11
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Hmm. Halloween Party upcharge dessert party. Pay $80 to attend the Halloween Party, pay another $80 for the dessert party and reserved fireworks seating. Somethingís wrong here.

As an After Hours paid event, attendance should be such that you wouldnít need reserved fireworks seating.

Doesnít bode well for the number of admission tickets they plan on selling. Big increase in numbers here?

Dirk
They've been doing that dessert party for at least 3 years, maybe more. It's not new. They're not changing anything. There's a new fireworks show, so the dessert party is "new" as well, since it's not the Happy Hallowishes Dessert Party anymore. The only thing that will be new is the name.

People use their Halloween party ticket as their only ticket for the day. They enter at 4 and still get 8 hours of time in the park. The cost of the dessert party is less than the price on a regular night, so on a cost basis it's probably similar.
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:39 PM   #12
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Disney flirted with the idea of a premium park a few years ago, perhaps focused on Animal Kingdom. They didnít want to build a new park. They wanted to find a way to offer a premium experience in the current parks, and AK was the only place that closed early enough.

Instead of creating a singular experience, theyíve created premium experience upsells around the parks and resorts. Itís a win-win, in many ways. Disney gets to offer premium services without having to pay to create its own version of Discovery Cove. They can spread the offerings around the various parks and resorts. Guests can pick and choose what they want to do. Itís an a la carte premium park experience.

Want something special but donít want to break the bank? Do an animal encounter at Animal Kingdom. Wants special viewing? Buy a dessert party. Want to be pampered at a water park? Rent a cabana. Want special access with fewer people? Do an After Hours event or a Morning Magic early entry.

In principle, itís a great idea. Just donít go messing with the experience of the guest who doesnít want to the premiums.

I view the parade in Frontierland (perfect setting for a Halloween parade, IMO) and watch the fireworks from Caseyís, so as long as attendance is still capped at previous levels, I donít care who wants to double the price of admission for fancy cupcakes.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:26 PM   #13
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Of course, itís not like I think these upcharge events are a bad thing.

Over next weekís 9 night trip we are:
  • Enjoying an Illuminations dining package on May 6
  • Enjoying Magic Kingdom After Hours on May 9
  • Enjoying a Cabana with friends at Typhoon Lagoon on May 10
  • Enjoying Moonlight Magic on May 13. At least this oneís free (for the price of direct DVC points).

Add up the prices, and Discovery Cove might have been cheaper!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:38 PM   #14
Fmer55
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Of course, itís not like I think these upcharge events are a bad thing.

Over next weekís 9 night trip we are:
  • Enjoying an Illuminations dining package on May 6
  • Enjoying Magic Kingdom After Hours on May 9
  • Enjoying a Cabana with friends at Typhoon Lagoon on May 10
  • Enjoying Moonlight Magic on May 13. At least this oneís free (for the price of direct DVC points).

Add up the prices, and Discovery Cove might have been cheaper!

Dirk
I agree 100%. I am so fired up for the HS After hours with walk on rides. To us that is so worth it. The parties have doubled in occupancy in our opinion since 7 years ago. If I felt I had to do the Halloween party again, I think I would pay for the fireworks. We have done the dessert party twice for the HEA, and it is worth every penny to be in the fake carpet square and see the masses around you. We are all about the exclusive events and willing to pay. The parties we have sworn off, way to crowded now, and we travel on not peak times.

DH, me(Mike)MOD136, DW DD13DD10
Fmer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:02 PM   #15
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

I like the optional up-charges. Like we are not night people, so after hours aren't worth it to us. But give us the right tour or cruise and we're all over it. To ring out our last trip with Illuminations, we scheduled a cruise again. Sure I could get decent views on my own, but this is so much better.

If my kid rode TOT we'd do one of those VIP tours too. Choices are nice
Old 04-30-2019, 05:29 PM   #16
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:

In principle, itís a great idea. Just donít go messing with the experience of the guest who doesnít want to the premiums.

Dirk

We select the up charge events that interest us. We donít mind paying for them.

However, and it is a big however, a guest not desiring a premium experience should not be adversely affected. I feel that is happening across WDW. Illuminations viewing areas used to be abundant. Now they are scarce unless you pay extra. It is hard to find a night to see fireworks at MK, with the increased numbers of parties. And when you do find that night, it is super crowded because of pent up demand. Charging for extra fast passes means that there are fewer for regular guests. Etc.

I would like Disney to show more moderation with the up charge events, not necessarily eliminate them.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote