home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tours and Events
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-10-2018, 11:07 AM   #21
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

We've been a handful of times with our family of 5. Some of our early visits were purchased in addition to MWY tickets. So, they were our ticket for that day, which helped offset costs. When you are an AP holder, it is a touch pill to swallow, but we have a couple of times when there in that season. As others have said - parade, fireworks, atmosphere, it all adds up to a unique MK experience that is not replicated during normal operating hours. For us, even at the cost, it is a given - if the party is on when we are there, we go!
Old 09-10-2018, 11:09 AM   #22
missa986
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMom View Post
We go to the Boo-to-You parade (both times "we're seeing this again?" "yes, that's why we're here") see the fireworks (they are fantastic, I watched from TOTW lounge a few weeks back and was WOW'd and kicked myself for not getting tickets, it was a budget trip ), we meet Jack Skellington and get our very important Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom Party card. And, then I avoid telling dh what we paid for it

FYI, I had friends just go (Friday night) and they said it was more crowded with longer ride lines then the regular park day But, the park days were a 1 of 10 on the touring plans crowd calendar all week. They are 1st time WDW visitors, and I told them this might happen (because the crowds were so low), but still I was hoping it wouldn't. Her kids had heard about it from cousins and they really wanted to trick or treat at MK.
^ This is what we were worried about this year.

We went 4 years ago (all adults) and the highlight for us was the fireworks and the ability to walk on to pretty much any ride. We rode just about everything. We're also night owls so we love staying late in the parks.

This trip they increased the price and we've heard that the party is getting more and more crowded each year, no more walk on rides. Those two things mean that we're not going to splurge this trip.

Oct/Nov 2018: Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo
Oct/Nov 2016: Boardwalk Villas
Sept 2014: Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani
Oct/Nov 2012: Pop Century
May 2009: Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo
Dec 2000: Polynesian Resort
Dec 1993: Caribbean Beach Resort
missa986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:35 AM   #23
bobbafett
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
Isn't the parade almost identical to what it's always been? And that is an issue for some but you said you liked the "old" parade better. I don't recall the first year we did the Halloween party but I think it was fairly early on and it seems about the same to me. Barring the horse now trotting as it really was quite dangerous to canter the route on the pavement (and the accident that came from that). I think I only caught it once, maybe twice because they went thru too fast that way.
I think the cowboys and girls did more.
Wasn't cruela pulling a cart with actual puppies.
Hard to remember.
AKL 14, AKL 16, AKL/VWL 16, SS 17, AKL 18, 18. VGF 18, VAK 18.

bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:51 AM   #24
beachclubmum
One Bedroom

I'm a sucker, AP holders going on the 31st at the $125. ticket price. Dragging my 10yo down a night early for our Disney race trip and needed to make it up to him. He's looking forward to TOT at MK and I need to figure out costumes still.
beachclubmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:16 PM   #25
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachclubmum View Post
I'm a sucker, AP holders going on the 31st at the $125. ticket price. Dragging my 10yo down a night early for our Disney race trip and needed to make it up to him. He's looking forward to TOT at MK and I need to figure out costumes still.
That's a good time to go. We went on 11/1 last year (last party) and they had so much candy to get rid of! Between that, trick or treating at FW the night before, and the Trunk or Treat at our church before we left, I've never seen such a pile of candy!
Old 09-10-2018, 05:19 PM   #26
Quellman
Grand Villa

For us? We get in as soon as we can (4pm previous years). For members it would be 2pm with a party ticket this year. Then we typically will do some rides, big thunder, etc. Then it is candy time and souvenier shopping. Then it is 1st parade in Fronteirland, mad dash to our favorite fireworks spot, then fireworks, followed by hocus pocus, then 2nd parade, barely changing spots. If we bail on the second parade it is more party treats and haunted mansion and fantasy land. The last couple of times we have gone, we just don't seem to make it to tomorrowland. We don't stand in line for the characters as our kid doesn't really care for the ones that are out, so we spend it doing other things. I think last year we rode big thunder 4 times, splash 2x and pirates 3 times. This was a few days before halloween too!

So that's what our family does. We think the entertainment offering, particularly the parade is one of the best on property in terms of music, characters, live performers. We prefer this to the Christmas party.
2002 DLHotel, 2010 SSR, 2011 SSR, 2012 DCL Magic, DLParis, BLT, 2013 VB, 2014 DCl Fantasy, BLT 2015 POP, BLT 2016 DCL Dream B2B, BLT 2017 PVB, DCL Fantasy(B2B), YC, BLT 2018 DCL Dream, POFQ, BLT
Quellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #27
JudieHopps
Two Bedroom

[quote=BobParr;1489023]We've never been, but best I can tell is we pay an extra $85/pp so we can dress in WDW-approved costumes, get some trick-or-treat candy and ride the same rides? Is there more to it than that? Hoping so, but would like to hear before we buy tickets (or don't). I appreciate any insights from vets of such parties, thanks![/QUOTE

Most of my thoughts on Disney is that I will try anything once... and we still have much to do!
You just won’t know until you see for yourself.

With that, I say try it.

It is a fun night!
JudieHopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:48 PM   #28
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I"ve found Tuesday nights to be the best. It's hard to tell, though, because it's been a number of years and it's gotten steadily more crowded each year. It's still pretty fun and better than a busy day in the park.

As I said above, it's all about the atmosphere for us. It's not just attractions. The plussing of the HM is nice, the music is fun, and I do enjoy going to bed with "Boo to you" stuck in my head!

I have heard the fireworks have been shortened a bit with a scene or two missing. I hope that's not true, but they are probably still very good. I agree with the "dated" comment to an extent. I'm not interested in just the light show and pretty projections. It's also about the music and I think they did a great job with the soundtrack and accompany shells.

Dirk
We adore the atmosphere which has to be rooted in the music. Disney or no Disney "the Disney Magic Kingdom Event Party Music from Disney World" gets played every Halloween. I have had years where I played the music in our neighborhood and it attracted all the little ones like the pied piper. I have an accompanying video display on our front windows with a Halloween theme on one and Disney theme on the other. It's starting to get dated but has been a big hit over the years. It all started with the Boo to You. I was as boring as brp up until that moment.
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:14 PM   #29
sweatandsteel
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

I'm a sucker for the Halloween party as I love the shows, fireworks, and parade. The kids love the candy and I get to see the park light up like no other time. I hate to admit it but they would have to raise the price pretty high for me not to go so I guess that's why the keep raising it!
Old 09-11-2018, 03:09 PM   #30
BobParr
One Bedroom

Thanks to all for the informative replies!

So for DS (8) how does the candy work? Are there stations around the park, at the ride entrances, or somewhere else?
BobParr is offline   Reply With Quote