home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tours and Events
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-27-2019, 12:52 PM   #11
Joeli
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I'll be curious if people actually pay and fill the place. If so, then we know Disney has hit a homer with SWGE. If not, then we know Disney is finding that line of just what they can milk us for! Hehe. That might be the real test of this event!

Dirk

Upcoming:
Sept 2020 - DCL Fantasy
May 2020 - PVB
Apr 2020 - PVB
Mar 2020 - PVB
Feb 2020 - BWV
Dec/Jan 2020 - PVB/BWV (Split for NYE)
Dec 2019 - RCCL Allure of the Seas
Nov 2019 - BWV
Oct 2019 - BWV

Done:
2019 (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sept) - DCL Magic - Miami - Marvel day at Sea, BRV, PVB, Swan, Swan, BWV, Swan, BWV, BLT
2018 (Jan, May, June, Aug, Sept, Nov, Dec) - DCL Fantasy - Orlando - Star Wars day at Sea, BLT, Swan x 2, Hilton Bonnet Creek, BWV/AKV (Kidani), Swan, SSR
2017 (Jan, May, Oct) - VGF, BLT, BRV
2016 (Feb, May) - PVB, BRV/BWV
2015/2014 (Sept) - BCV, AoA (Little Mermaid/Nemo/Lion King)

Joeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:21 PM   #12
KyleG
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
I'm not sure I'd call it a cash grab as it's a special event that in no way has anything to do with park touring or an enhanced vacation experience. To me, cash grabs are FP slots, fireworks/parade viewings from key locations that used to be free, special sections at a resort pool, etc.

However, it is indeed pricy and $225 for a photo op and a Boma-style buffet is not on my list of fun things to do!

Now, if it were held *IN* SWGE, that would be cool and the cost could be more in-line as a special land preview, but it's nowhere near guest ready.

Dirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy Dad 13 View Post
Agree with Dirk, just a special event that is not taking anything away from anyone, it is held in Epcot and does not even include a special viewing area for participants.
According to the description it does include a reserved location to view the Epcot fireworks. So basically you are paying $146 more than the Epcot fireworks dessert party, you get dinner and some photo ops. Still crazy expensive. I would think $149 or so would sell a bit better since you are at least getting dinner.
KyleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:01 PM   #13
Fiveresorts
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeli View Post
Well, it continues...the cash grab for SW... Anyone that goes, I would love to hear about it. I will be getting ready for Tax day! lol

https://wdwnt.com/2019/03/dvc-member...on-april-10th/

Joey
To me they are offering these things because a lot of people want access to things there won't be any kids attending. Disney makes these based on demand, they keep the prices high as people are willing and wanting to attend. This makes them feel special. Do you really think they offered a $12,000 tour without knowing their target audience. Just because it might be hard for a lot of people too afford doesn't mean that there aren't people that can and will pay the cost.
Fiveresorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:22 PM   #14
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
That's true, too. It also creates buzz for the land.

And, quite frankly, it's pretty cook Disney is offering this for DVC members (regardless of high price). I'll be curious if people actually pay and fill the place. If so, then we know Disney has hit a homer with SWGE. If not, then we know Disney is finding that line of just what they can milk us for! Hehe. That might be the real test of this event!

Dirk
^This
I saw the event, but the price was a total turn off. No way we would pay that unless it was actually in SW:GE. Testing the waters may very well be what they are doing. If they can get that price in EP, triple it and do it again in SW:GE.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:29 PM   #15
Crafty
Grand Villa

Well OK....

I confess that I just signed up for myself and my daughter.

My daughter is a SW fan and we were signed up for the SW 5K. Unfortunately, she stepped in a hidden hole in the grass and twisted her foot badly. No race for her. She said that she would feel worse if we went to WDW during race weekend and she couldnít participate.

We were just going to cancel when the Galactic Gathering was announced. We were able to switch our dates at OKW and avoid any lingering holding points.

I felt that despite the cost, she needed a treat. Yesterday, we also had to put down our 15 year old dog. His health had reached a crisis point related to kidney failure.

So we squandered a bit of money to cheer us both up. I donít think that the event will be worth the cost, but we will enjoy it and not think about the money.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:50 PM   #16
Jasonv1
Grand Villa

Avatar land has proven that any theme will work so long as you deliver something immersive along with some cool rides. WDW is so busy that any new ride will be well received, and represents another reason why people might stay an additional day.

Because let's be honest, who exactly was asking for anything themed around Avatar? While visually impressive, can anyone name any of the characters? And compared to what Universal has with Harry Potter it is rather weak.

Star Wars land is going to crush it for the same reasons Avatar has plus a lot more. 42 years (AKA generations) worth of people who have watched the movies, bought the toys, and raised kids doing the same.

Heck I'm 44 and I'm curious about the lightsaber workshop, and upcoming hotel. I suspect I am not alone.

Quote:
That's true, too. It also creates buzz for the land.

And, quite frankly, it's pretty cook Disney is offering this for DVC members (regardless of high price). I'll be curious if people actually pay and fill the place. If so, then we know Disney has hit a homer with SWGE. If not, then we know Disney is finding that line of just what they can milk us for! Hehe. That might be the real test of this event!

Dirk
Jasonv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:55 PM   #17
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
Well OK....

My daughter is a SW fan and we were signed up for the SW 5K. Unfortunately, she stepped in a hidden hole in the grass and twisted her foot badly. No race for her. She said that she would feel worse if we went to WDW during race weekend and she couldnít participate.

We were just going to cancel when the Galactic Gathering was announced. We were able to switch our dates at OKW and avoid any lingering holding points.

I felt that despite the cost, she needed a treat. Yesterday, we also had to put down our 15 year old dog. His health had reached a crisis point related to kidney failure.

So we squandered a bit of money to cheer us both up. I donít think that the event will be worth the cost, but we will enjoy it and not think about the money.
Oh, I'm so sorry about the death of your dog. They are such faithful companions and true family members. Yes, something special and fun can clear the mind.

Please let us know how it was. We would love a report!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:55 PM   #18
Joeli
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Well OK....

So sorry to hear about the bad stuff...but I am glad to hear about the good stuff coming your way!! Enjoy and I hope to hear all about the fun in a Trip Report!

Upcoming:
Sept 2020 - DCL Fantasy
May 2020 - PVB
Apr 2020 - PVB
Mar 2020 - PVB
Feb 2020 - BWV
Dec/Jan 2020 - PVB/BWV (Split for NYE)
Dec 2019 - RCCL Allure of the Seas
Nov 2019 - BWV
Oct 2019 - BWV

Done:
2019 (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sept) - DCL Magic - Miami - Marvel day at Sea, BRV, PVB, Swan, Swan, BWV, Swan, BWV, BLT
2018 (Jan, May, June, Aug, Sept, Nov, Dec) - DCL Fantasy - Orlando - Star Wars day at Sea, BLT, Swan x 2, Hilton Bonnet Creek, BWV/AKV (Kidani), Swan, SSR
2017 (Jan, May, Oct) - VGF, BLT, BRV
2016 (Feb, May) - PVB, BRV/BWV
2015/2014 (Sept) - BCV, AoA (Little Mermaid/Nemo/Lion King)

Joeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:03 PM   #19
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I'm not sure I'd call it a cash grab as it's a special event that in no way has anything to do with park touring or an enhanced vacation experience.
It's not a cash grab. Sounds more like sour grapes from someone who doesn't want to pay for it. Like First Class on an airline is a cash grab

Cheers.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:26 PM   #20
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Well OK....

So sorry for your loss. Best wishes at this difficult time.
Brian5581 is online now   Reply With Quote