home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tours and Events
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-23-2019, 02:31 PM   #11
disneymomof2
Grand Villa

We have been to WDW for 2 of the last 3 NYE....and it was a blast!

That said, we aren't huge park goers...maybe 1-2 parks/trip and both years we were there we did MK on New Years Day. Crowds are there on NYDay, but nothing like between Christmas and New Years Eve.

Our last trip we 'added in' NYE at HS...adding it in on Dec 30th!!! We even got FP+. We were pretty happy with how it turned out. When it was all said and done, we FP 5 rides that day (3 normal FP, 1 paper FP given to our party by a CM and one we used from touring the models at SSR).

See below for some great tips from tomandrobin....I second all of it. If you go in with a laid back attitude, make some ADRs and plan loosely, you will be pleasantly surprised. Our family tends to make breakfast in the room, then have an ADR for some time between lunch and dinner, an off time.

Have fun with it all!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Ok....We have been to WDW for NYE almost every year since 2005. We will be at BLT this year 26-31, and AKV 1-5. I am hoping to change my reservation to Riviera at the 7 month mark. Our grandsons have spent most NYE with us since the year they were born.

Simple rules to enjoy the week:
  • Morning EMH is recommended.
  • Do not drive, use Disney transportation
  • Try to avoid the parks between 12-4pm
  • Make ADRs, there are no walk-ups....not even Morocco.
  • See the Holiday Displays.
  • Make family time.
  • If its warm, use the pools.
  • See the NYE firework shows.....they are incredible!
  • Relax and realize this trip will not be like any other trip during the year.
On Dec 30th and 31st, MK will do two firework shows each night. I recommend going to MK on the 30th. Then for NYE, go to either Epcot or DHS to ring in the new year. DHS use to be my go to but with Osborne gone and all the construction, DHS has not been that great. I am not sure how it will be this year with SWGE being complete.

Typically, on Dec 30th is the MO meet-up. The past few years it has been at Jelly Rolls......highly recommend to go. This past year, weather was fantastic and the kids got to swim several times during the trip.
Try to attend a MO meet...it's nice to be able to meet up with those here on the boards!!

Tom - I think the typical date for the MO meet is Dec 28. I wasn't there this past NYE, but have been the past 2 years. AND...we are also at BLT from Dec 29-Jan 2. Hopefully we will meet this year!

ME DH DS21 DD18

Last edited by disneymomof2; 04-23-2019 at 02:58 PM.
disneymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:06 PM   #12
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinneri View Post
Warning!!! Severe and extreme crowds at Magic Kingdom and Epcot for the fireworks. Never again! We went this past year and we were all standing shoulder to shoulder inside epcot around the lake viewing the nighttime fireworks. No room to move. Night before on dec 30, we watched th Magic Kingdom fireworks and it was so packed that there was no standing room to view the NY fireworks so we had to watch them while moving or walking because they dont let you stop.
Interesting....we had a different experience. We saw the MK NYE fireworks on Dec 30. We had just gotten off Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and we watched from behind the castle and had a great view and plenty of room. In front of the castle is IDEAL but I wasnt willing to fight the crowds

We saw the Epcot fireworks on Dec 31 and were near the Canada section. It was not bad at all...not overly crowded. Leaving the park [walking back to the BW] was really crowded though. On Dec 31 , no matter where you stay, prepare for a really long line for Disney transportation or a very crowded walk to BW or BC...

Trip Report:
The Tale of Two Trips - The Princesses & The Dudes Take On NYE
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=134143

Spring Break Trip Report / How To Beat The Crowds & Still Have FUN!
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64670

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS22 DD16

DisneyTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:11 PM   #13
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

Here are a few tips. i have a thread from when I was planning last year and I will *bump* it.

MK does the same fireworks on Dec 30 and 31

In Epcot, each country will celebrate NYE a it turns midnight in that real country in Europe. We made dinner reservations at Biergarten for 6 pm and it was so fun!

If you are in Epcot on NYE, bathroom lines can be long. Try the bathrooms in the America section....the Germany bathrooms had HUGE lines. LOL

Use Disney transportation for sure!

Crowds start thinning out after Jan 1....

Trip Report:

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS22 DD16

Old 04-23-2019, 03:13 PM   #14
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

This is my thread when I was planning for last year:

http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=129361

Trip Report:

Me DH DS22 DD16

Old 04-23-2019, 03:20 PM   #15
Joeli
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Ok....We have been to WDW for NYE almost every year since 2005. We will be at BLT this year 26-31, and AKV 1-5. I am hoping to change my reservation to Riviera at the 7 month mark. Our grandsons have spent most NYE with us since the year they were born.

• Make family time.
On Dec 30th and 31st, MK will do two firework shows each night. I recommend going to MK on the 30th. Then for NYE, go to either Epcot or DHS to ring in the new year. DHS use to be my go to but with Osborne gone and all the construction, DHS has not been that great. I am not sure how it will be this year with SWGE being complete.

Typically, on Dec 30th is the MO meet-up. The past few years it has been at Jelly Rolls......highly recommend to go. This past year, weather was fantastic and the kids got to swim several times during the trip.

Ask me any question about that week, I will have the answer for you.
Now I am just going to annoy you non-stop!

Upcoming:
Sept 2020 - DCL Fantasy
May 2020 - PVB
Apr 2020 - PVB
Mar 2020 - PVB
Feb 2020 - BWV
Dec/Jan 2020 - PVB/BWV (Split for NYE)
Dec 2019 - RCCL Allure of the Seas
Nov 2019 - BWV
Oct 2019 - BWV

Done:
2019 (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sept) - DCL Magic - Miami - Marvel day at Sea, BRV, PVB, Swan, Swan, BWV, Swan, BWV, BLT
2018 (Jan, May, June, Aug, Sept, Nov, Dec) - DCL Fantasy - Orlando - Star Wars day at Sea, BLT, Swan x 2, Hilton Bonnet Creek, BWV/AKV (Kidani), Swan, SSR
2017 (Jan, May, Oct) - VGF, BLT, BRV
2016 (Feb, May) - PVB, BRV/BWV
2015/2014 (Sept) - BCV, AoA (Little Mermaid/Nemo/Lion King)

Joeli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:31 PM   #16
AlwaysDreamingDisney
Grand Villa

What time do you generally plan to enter a park for 12/30 & 12/31?

Our usual start is at or near rope drop but there IS NO WAY I could survive from rope drop to “ball drop”! Well unless they’d let me nap for a several hours in Carousel of Progress! Which by the way my kids love to visit on every trip, so I’m not making fun of it!!!

Now all of my kids are "Disney Adults"

Proud owner at VWL

Had owned at VGC, SSR and OKW too. Sad to see those points go but moving very close to the Mouse!!!
AlwaysDreamingDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:34 PM   #17
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeli View Post
Now I am just going to annoy you non-stop!

Apparently we have a whole lot of over lapping this year. Don't be scared of traveling over the holidays. Its nuts and crazy, but can be so much fun and memorable. Our NYE were mostly lame and boring before that first NYE trip. It was so exciting ringing in the New Years with 70,000 (guess?) other people and all the fireworks. Gives me chills every year when I am there, gets me all choked up.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:44 PM   #18
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysDreamingDisney View Post
What time do you generally plan to enter a park for 12/30 & 12/31?

Our usual start is at or near rope drop but there IS NO WAY I could survive from rope drop to ďball dropĒ! Well unless theyíd let me nap for a several hours in Carousel of Progress! Which by the way my kids love to visit on every trip, so Iím not making fun of it!!!

If I go to the parks, I go at rope drop but leave by 10-11 am. Last year, on the 30th, the family slept in, went to the pool and I went and played golf. We all went to MK at 5pm, had no issues getting into the park.

On the 31st, we normally get to the park around 7pm and have an ADR at that park. By the time we finish dinner, its usually about a few hours before midnight. We just grab our spot and camp out for the evening.

Do note, that we are usually a large group and also meet up with friends that we have made over the years from MO. So having a "spot" is great for us. Works as a base camp and people can freely come and go, while the rest hold our space.

Magic Kingdom will close around 11-noon on those days, but always reopens around 5pm. Disney will close various roads and parking lots to the parks, so driving is HIGHLY discouraged! Disney transportation, especially the buses will get you to and from easily. After the fireworks, if you are riding the bus, I also recommend not to rush out of the park. Spend the extra time in the park, rather then stand an hour in a bus line.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:10 PM   #19
Fmer55
Add-on Aficionado

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymomof2 View Post

That said, we aren't huge park goers...maybe 1-2 parks/trip and both years we were there we did MK on New Years Day. Crowds are there on NYDay, but nothing like between Christmas and New Years Eve.

Our last trip we 'added in' NYE at HS...adding it in on Dec 30th!!! We even got FP+. We were pretty happy with how it turned out. When it was all said and done, we FP 5 rides that day (3 normal FP, 1 paper FP given to our party by a CM and one we used from touring the models at SSR).

See below for some great tips from tomandrobin....I second all of it. If you go in with a laid back attitude, make some ADRs and plan loosely, you will be pleasantly surprised. Our family tends to make breakfast in the room, then have an ADR for some time between lunch and dinner, an off time.

Have fun with it all!!

Try to attend a MO meet...it's nice to be able to meet up with those here on the boards!!

Tom - I think the typical date for the MO meet is Dec 28. I wasn't there this past NYE, but have been the past 2 years. AND...we are also at BLT from Dec 29-Jan 2. Hopefully we will meet this year!
Jelly rolls is on the 29th 3 years running. This year will be the same.

Tom, donít move to RR, we are with you at BLT 27-31

We second Tonís advice, we have been every year since NYE 2013. We follow all the rules set forth by previous MOís and it is our favorite trip of the year.

DH, me(Mike)MOD136, DW DD13DD10
Fmer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:40 PM   #20
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

• Make family time.

Ask me any question about that week, I will have the answer for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymomof2 View Post

Have fun with it all!!

Quote:
If I go to the parks, I go at rope drop but leave by 10-11 am. Last year, on the 30th, the family slept in, went to the pool and I went and played golf. We all went to MK at 5pm, had no issues getting into the park.

On the 31st, we normally get to the park around 7pm and have an ADR at that park. By the time we finish dinner, its usually about a few hours before midnight. We just grab our spot and camp out for the evening.

Do note, that we are usually a large group and also meet up with friends that we have made over the years from MO. So having a "spot" is great for us. Works as a base camp and people can freely come and go, while the rest hold our space.

Magic Kingdom will close around 11-noon on those days, but always reopens around 5pm. Disney will close various roads and parking lots to the parks, so driving is HIGHLY discouraged! Disney transportation, especially the buses will get you to and from easily. After the fireworks, if you are riding the bus, I also recommend not to rush out of the park. Spend the extra time in the park, rather then stand an hour in a bus line.

All excellent advice, indeed! Except...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmer55 View Post
Jelly rolls is on the 29th 3 years running. This year will be the same.

Tom, donít move to RR, we are with you at BLT 27-31

We second Tonís advice, we have been every year since NYE 2013. We follow all the rules set forth by previous MOís and it is our favorite trip of the year.

Yep, 12/29 is the date. Record crowd last year, hopefully we do even better this time around.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote