home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-21-2019, 08:58 PM   #31
a1000monkeys
Grand Villa

Skip Matterhorn if you have back problems. If you don't have back problems, you will after Matterhorn.

Definitely go on Space Mountain. It's so much better than the WDW version. Ditto for Pirates and Small World.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:14 PM   #32
Happy Pixie
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1000monkeys View Post
Skip Matterhorn if you have back problems. If you don't have back problems, you will after Matterhorn.

Definitely go on Space Mountain. It's so much better than the WDW version. Ditto for Pirates and Small World.
We haven't been in 9 years but we still talk about how we love POC and SW at DL over WDW.
We are going to DL this summer and are so excited to go back.
Happy Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:10 PM   #33
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Yep, yet another opinion that Pirates and Small World way way better at Disneyland.
Brian5581 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:20 AM   #34
choosymom
Two Bedroom

This is so great. You guys are answering the things I haven't even asked yet. Wahoo.
Thanks

choosymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:01 AM   #35
pdude81
Grand Villa

I agree that DL has better versions of a number of rides, but Small World felt drastically inferior to the Wdw version for me.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:18 AM   #36
GiantsNiners11
Grand Villa

Pirates and Small world and space are all superior at Disneyland. It borders on fact, but we can just call it a strong opinion.

We skip so many rides at WDW because of this. Disneyland offers a better overall product, but hey, no Epcot, no Animal Kingdom, so I still need to go to WDW every now and again.
“Too many people grow up. That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up. They forget. They don't remember what it's like to be 12 years old. They patronize, they treat children as inferiors. Well I won't do that.” ~Walt Disney

Me(34) DW(33) DD(5)
GiantsNiners11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #37
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1000monkeys View Post
I echo Dirk's comment about prioritizing Fantasmic over fireworks.

While you can see the fireworks from many locations, there is very limited ideal viewing area. Also, the fireworks are often cancelled last minute at the slightest breeze lest the smoke will drift over nearby I-5.

You can get a view of the fireworks to left of the Fantasmic viewing area.
When we were out there for 5 nights in 2016, the fireworks were canceled every night. Once, two minutes before show time. Ugh.

It was a real bummer, too, because Fantasmic was down for the Rivers of America realignment for Star Wars. We still had tons of fun, but I missed two of my favorite DL experiences!

We have done both in one night, but it's a huge challenge. The only way it works for us is to be in the Hub for fireworks, and then charge through Tomorrowland around the castle to New Orleans Square for Fantasmic. We usually get a spot off to the side that way, and that will usually be our second viewing, after having done a dessert party earlier in the trip.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:14 AM   #38
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
I agree that DL has better versions of a number of rides, but Small World felt drastically inferior to the Wdw version for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantsNiners11 View Post
Pirates and Small world and space are all superior at Disneyland. It borders on fact, but we can just call it a strong opinion.

We skip so many rides at WDW because of this. Disneyland offers a better overall product, but hey, no Epcot, no Animal Kingdom, so I still need to go to WDW every now and again.
I like the DL setting for Small World much better than WDW's. I think the interior rooms may be more interesting and intimate. I'm not 100% certain. I do think DL's versions of most attraction have more soul and charm.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:25 PM   #39
frank808
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I've ordered from Disneyland and from a place called ARES tickets, I believe. Look for tickets that have an early entry day attached if you want that (you don't have to stay a Disney resort to qualify out there). I think DL and DCA alternate which park has an early entry. I believe they also open earlier than WDW in the summer - 8 am instead of 9 am, though DCA might open at 9 am or 10 am. They've always had shorter hours.

MouseSavers has lots of great Disneyland tips:

https://www.mousesavers.com/disneyla...ket-discounts/

It looks like Undercover Tourist also sells DL tickets, so check them. Also, be very careful as tickets have expiration dates so don't buy too far out. Maybe WDW has done the same? I haven't purchased a standard ticket in several years.

The Warner Bros. Studio tour is REALLY great. Definitely book in advance. They really like you when you do that. You are put with a small group of people, maybe 12-15 or so, and get a really comprehensive tour.

Dirk
Magic mornings for multi day tickets are only valid at Disneyland park. To participate In magic mornings at DCA, you have to be a guest at either Grand Cal, Disneyland or Paradise Pier hotel.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:46 PM   #40
YMMDVCer
Studio

Few weeks back we stayed at Great Wolf lodge. We were impressed with that place. Little far to the park but $9 uber ride wasn't heart wrenching. The indoor water park is impressive and the resort is pretty good overall
YMMDVCer is offline   Reply With Quote