home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-14-2018, 09:39 PM   #11
ajc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Also worth checking out the Disney Food Blog.

Many, including me, go and enjoy annually. Sure similar festivals can be found at plenty of other places, but this is on Disney property so one can always appreciate that aspect if desired. Plus, at least for me the advantage of all transportation being handled cannot be overlooked.
So you can enjoy your adult beverages because "Disney's Drivin"
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:05 PM   #12
tom82097
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by missa986 View Post
Other than the kiosks, there are F&W specific events and tastings/demonstrations that you have to reserve (with an additional fee).
I have done the kiosks (food at least) as well. In celebration of my 21st bday, I booked some of the beverage seminars. So we'll see how it goes. I afraid it would just be a sales pitch.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:19 PM   #13
dvf_diva
Grand Villa

I have personally found the QSDP to be very useful at food kiosks (just used it at Flower & Garden). You get two snacks per person per day. Depending on your length of stay, that can be quite a few to use at kiosks.

As yes, you QS credits can we swapped for 3 snack credits, but all from 1 register, so you and your honey would have to, combined, find three items from one stand to try. Its not all that difficult, really. I would just use the info posted about the various kiosk offerings to earmark what sounds good to you. By October, there should be lots of info online. With a little careful planning, you can figure out if the QSDP would help you save money or not.

There are other seminars and events you can sign up for, but I have always been happy with the quality of the small bites offered at kiosks. It is often some of the best food at WDW, IMHO.

Have fun!!

Oct 2018 POP/BWV/BLT
Feb 2019 VGF
May 2019 VGF
June 2019 BLT
August 2019 Celebrity Eclipse
October 2019 Disney Magic DVC Member Cruise??
dvf_diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:02 AM   #14
Lolaura84
Studio

I'm going for the second time this year. As others have said, it's the small sizes that I enjoy - makes me more courageous to try something that I'm not sure about. My husband and I have gone with another couple both times, so there are four of us to try each sample; even if nobody cares for it, by the time there have been four bites, it's almost gone anyway. And usually at least one person has loved it!
We did quite a few of the food / beverage seminars last year. We might do one again this year, depending on how the schedule rounds out. There are still a few sessions during my dates that don't have details yet. Last year some of the sessions I did were just so/so... the strangest being one where some pastry chefs taught us to make pancake mix. We took away a ziplock bag full of flours. We were flying home, and didn't want to think about how TSA would react to a ziplock bag full of flour, so we ended up tossing it (that and it was heavy!). But the sessions are mid afternoon in the A/C, and can be an enjoyable break from the heat.
By far my favorite experience was one of the signature food and beverage pairings. It was a blast, I did the wine vs. beer in Italy, and will be going again. Great food, fun experience, the crowd got rowdy, I'm pretty sure there was a marriage proposal by the end of the afternoon. It was pretty pricey, but I felt like it was a great value. If I were trying to experience more than the kiosks of food & wine festival, I'd skip the all the seminars and do one of the pairing lunches. Just make sure you are really hungry before you go!
Lolaura84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:13 AM   #15
Boundin'
Grand Villa

I don't think I have missed a year since 2002, so I definitely enjoy it. But as it's gotten bigger, it has gotten way more expensive. They used to have free beer tastings, and $3 plates. Those days are gone.

Like anything else good at Disney, F&W has suffered the long curve of Disney diminishing returns.

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

Trip reports:
Sun, Sea, and Romance-Once Upon a Fantasy
Mickey's Very Merry Galactic Spectacular AND New Year's Eve 2017-18
The Fall of Disney 2017
A Tale of Two Views 2017
Back in the S.S.R. 2017
Universal Hard Rock- MNSSHP - HHN 2016
Spring Surprise 2016
NYE in the World 2015-16

Coming up...
5/2018 BLT-Fantasy-BWV Eastern Carib *** 9/2018 BLT-Dream-BCV Halloween on the High Seas***10/2018 A Quick Stop at Pop!***BLT-BCV 12/2018 Another New Year ***5/2019 BWV-Fantasy-BLT Western Carib

Home resorts BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:35 AM   #16
missa986
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom82097 View Post
I have done the kiosks (food at least) as well. In celebration of my 21st bday, I booked some of the beverage seminars. So we'll see how it goes. I afraid it would just be a sales pitch.
I think it's very different depending on the beverage and the vendor - I've heard great things about some of them. However, the one I attended in 2016 was pretty much a sales pitch. I booked last minute - it was the only one available for the length of my trip (maybe that should have been a red flag?) and it was a wine seminar.

Turns out the vineyard was really big on sustainability and basically spent the entire time talking about how sustainable they are and walking us through a presentation on how to run a sustainable vineyard. I don't really need to know how to run a sustainable vineyard. I want to know about wine.

At least I got to sit in the AC and have a few glasses of wine. I didn't even feel bad that I tuned most of it out.

They aren't super expensive, so I didn't really feel that terrible. Next time, I will make sure it's a beverage I have some interest in and that I book earlier.

Oct/Nov 2018: Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo
Oct/Nov 2016: Boardwalk Villas
Sept 2014: Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani
Oct/Nov 2012: Pop Century
May 2009: Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo
Dec 2000: Polynesian Resort
Dec 1993: Caribbean Beach Resort
missa986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:38 PM   #17
Zachattack
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default smaller portions at F&W

Hey there are kiosks featuring several new countries (Germany, Ireland, Italy, etc.) that have sample sizes for $4.50. Smaller meals at smaller prices to give you a chance to really sample each country. Each kiosk also has cocktails paired with the food so eat, drink and be merry! I love this event but I do tend to be snockered by the time I leave.
Zachattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #18
Boundin'
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by missa986 View Post
I think it's very different depending on the beverage and the vendor - I've heard great things about some of them. However, the one I attended in 2016 was pretty much a sales pitch. I booked last minute - it was the only one available for the length of my trip (maybe that should have been a red flag?) and it was a wine seminar.

Turns out the vineyard was really big on sustainability and basically spent the entire time talking about how sustainable they are and walking us through a presentation on how to run a sustainable vineyard. I don't really need to know how to run a sustainable vineyard. I want to know about wine.

At least I got to sit in the AC and have a few glasses of wine. I didn't even feel bad that I tuned most of it out.

They aren't super expensive, so I didn't really feel that terrible. Next time, I will make sure it's a beverage I have some interest in and that I book earlier.
LOL- that reminds me of the questions on the surveys asking us to rate Disney on how Green they are. How the F should I know? I may be recycling towels in my room while they dump sewage in the river down the road. If they REALLY want to be green, tear the place down and it will be swampland again in a few years.

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

Trip reports:
Sun, Sea, and Romance-Once Upon a Fantasy
Mickey's Very Merry Galactic Spectacular AND New Year's Eve 2017-18
The Fall of Disney 2017
A Tale of Two Views 2017
Back in the S.S.R. 2017
Universal Hard Rock- MNSSHP - HHN 2016
Spring Surprise 2016
NYE in the World 2015-16

Coming up...
5/2018 BLT-Fantasy-BWV Eastern Carib *** 9/2018 BLT-Dream-BCV Halloween on the High Seas***10/2018 A Quick Stop at Pop!***BLT-BCV 12/2018 Another New Year ***5/2019 BWV-Fantasy-BLT Western Carib

Home resorts BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:32 AM   #19
AnnaS
Grand Villa

We have also gone yearly for the last 7/8 years (I think we missed one year/we went early Dec.).

We enjoy sampling the various countries/food, drinks, concerts and weather. Food and drink samples $$ adds up pretty fast.

We will be attending the Swan Food and Wine Classic for the first time this year.

Enjoy!
May 2019 - OKW

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:12 AM   #20
bakerworld
Grand Villa

We enjoy the F&W - while similar events are available locally we only go to the one at WDW because we like to sample beverages and in WDW no one need be banded DD. We like FL in the Fall so F&W just co-insides with our vacation schedule. We like to sample the countries that are not usually at EPCOT - altho some of the regular countries offer different food then they usually serve - we always hit Germany for the pretzel sausage roll = YUM!

I heard they're not using the exhibition hall this year so I'm not sure where you pick up your freebie F&W button or enjoy the inexpensive Wine or Food seminars (the seminars can be cheap or $100+). The food workshop is usually a cooking experience where you get to taste what they make at the end. The wine is a commercial but, for us, the product is not something I would buy on my own so at least I get a taste with someone explaining what I am tasting.

If you are going before mid-October then it will be hot. We'll sometimes do a 'round' for 'lunch' and then go back to the hotel to wait for a cooler part of the day. We avoid Saturdays because the locals take over and are pretty trashed by evening. Weekends the Rose n Crown serve drinks in plastic, even if you're drinking in, and all the tables are removed. Sunday evening is pretty quiet and a bit less crowded. Basically, Saturday we do something else.

A 'passport' with stickers is available so you can keep track of what you've tried. It's fun.