home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-21-2018, 11:10 AM   #21
HoosierMinnie
Studio

Thanks for all the replies MOs. It's been posted on the RTT board, still considering posting it on Redweek as a verified rental. The small fee they charge is reasonable.

If I were only renting points, I would go through David's without hesitation. My reason for renting on my own in this case is that it's a confirmed prime time/location/accommodation and I feel like it's worth more than $13-14 per point. (Of course its value is increased to me because I would much rather be using it than renting it!)

Am I wrong that the price per point of confirmed reservations on David's site is the same as the noncommittal points, depending on the resort?
HoosierMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:22 PM   #22
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierMinnie View Post
Thanks for all the replies MOs. It's been posted on the RTT board, still considering posting it on Redweek as a verified rental. The small fee they charge is reasonable.

If I were only renting points, I would go through David's without hesitation. My reason for renting on my own in this case is that it's a confirmed prime time/location/accommodation and I feel like it's worth more than $13-14 per point. (Of course its value is increased to me because I would much rather be using it than renting it!)

Am I wrong that the price per point of confirmed reservations on David's site is the same as the noncommittal points, depending on the resort?
While $18 a point is a fair price you need to find someone who wants to pay about $1,000 a night for the two bedroom. It would cost much more if someone paid cash for the room from wdw but you still need a renter willing to pay that much and leave on Christmas Day.

A reservation is only worth what someone will pay for it.

Last edited by Shewill; 09-21-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Shewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #23
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewill View Post
While $18 a point is a fair price you need to find someone who wants to pay about $1,000 a night for the two bedroom. It would cost much more cro but you still need a renter willing to pay that much and leave on Christmas Day.

i heard that.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, Shorty, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:02 PM   #24
Quellman
Grand Villa

Quote:
While $18 a point is a fair price you need to find someone who wants to pay about $1,000 a night for the two bedroom. It would cost much more cro but you still need a renter willing to pay that much and leave on Christmas Day.

Indeed, unless someone already has a reservation starting on Christmas. Who knows, there's a renter for everyone if you cast a wide enough net.
2002 DLHotel, 2010 SSR, 2011 SSR, 2012 DCL Magic, DLParis, BLT, 2013 VB, 2014 DCl Fantasy, BLT 2015 POP, BLT 2016 DCL Dream B2B, BLT 2017 PVB, DCL Fantasy(B2B), YC, BLT 2018 DCL Dream, POFQ, BLT
Quellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:26 PM   #25
sawickipedia
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCERSINCEDAY1 View Post
owners renting confirmed reservations...exactly what i was doing when this crook got everything from me other than my membership number. this is no protection against this guy. KNOWLEDGE, PRUDENCE, A CREDIBILITY DEPOSIT AND/OR WORKING WITH ONLY RELIABLE MO'S is the only real prophylactic you have.

i wasted at least 24 hours solid on the scammer when renting a confirmed reservation. and he still has my name, address, email, phone number, a copy of a disney confirmation, a copy of my rental contract, and ALL my rental references. what i have is his threat that he will "take me down."

wake up and smell the coffee: owners need to be as diligent as renters.

ADDENDUM: this experience cost me a significant financial loss. my work hour is valued at a minimum of $50, so $1200 there that i could have spent on other business activity on ebay, redweek, facebook, here...selling/renting points/reservations, on my flatware business, on household/yard chores that i pay others $50/hour to do.

also, i was so sickened by this that i made the impromptu decision to transfer all remaining 2018 points in one fell swoop to another member at $13/point and just get out of the rental business. i cancelled spec reservations that i'm sure i would have gotten a minimum of $17/point (dec through july 4)...623 points in akv, brv, poly, bwv studios... at $4/loss ...another $2492.

hasn't anybody ever heard that "time is money" and "life is short."
This is why I will only rent my points via broker - I'm fine paying the insurance of $2.50/pt ($14.50 vs $17)
sawickipedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:41 PM   #26
HoosierMinnie
Studio

Quote:

Actually, it is full week split stay between a 2 bedroom at GVF and a grand villa at OKW, but yes, it has to fit someone else’s needs. Hopefully it will. Otherwise, I have the option of canceling it and using my points next year. Not a problem.
HoosierMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:44 PM   #27
Commish
Studio

Quote:
The Redweek fee is reasonable and the verified checkmark gives extra credibility to the posting. Keep in mind Redweek will hold the funds until trip start+2 days and you will receive a 1099.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:48 PM   #28
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Actually, it is full week split stay between a 2 bedroom at GVF and a grand villa at OKW, but yes, it has to fit someone else’s needs. Hopefully it will. Otherwise, I have the option of canceling it and using my points next year. Not a problem.
I think this is a good plan. Yes Shewill is correct, finding a renter at a high price IS difficult, but since this is what you have to rent it is worth a shot. You can always consider lowering you price, and negotiating if someone is interested. If you are fine with cancelling should you not rent you have nothing to lose.

Studios are the most common rental requests, however, at a holiday time you might find a person who wants a larger accommodation.

I wish you the best of luck!

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Sunday, 07/01/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI
Saturday, 10/27/18 - Saturday, 11/10/18 - SSR
(Running 10K w/BFF - 11/03/18)

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:17 PM   #29
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Personally the split week part is going to make it less attractive IMHO. Basically you are asking for about $8k 3 months before the date of visit. I’d expect that most people planning to drop that much on a vacation have already made their plans.

Last edited by CarolA; 09-21-2018 at 06:24 PM.
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:39 PM   #30
MMC1
Grand Villa

I just looked at both of your posted rentals.
My first thought is wow if you are successful with these postings .... I need to start renting.

My second thought is the Aug use year and 2017/banked points must be used before July 31 Correct?

Maybe you should consider cancelling now to give another DVC Member a chance to grab those reservations and start planning their holiday trip and you would be freeing up your points to make reservations that might actually rent out if you can't use them. Mothers Day Easter July 4th gives lots of better chances of finding a renter and you would be able to "Bank" those 2018 points for even better use.
At least take a few moments to look at the availability for 2018. Maybe consider studios or one bedrooms also. Don't forget Star Wars and Mickeys 90th Bday Celebrations for future demand !!!! People will be desperate to pay more for SW, I bet!
If you can use your points to rent studios that sleep 5, I am thinking a family (not familiar with DVC) would pay top dollar for that studio since their mindset is 5 people in a room' is better than 2 hotel rooms.

Just throwing thoughts around.

Hope this is helpful.
Good luck with your new home!
and please keep us updated with your success.

Last edited by MMC1; 09-21-2018 at 11:28 PM.
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote