home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 01-10-2019, 11:41 AM   #131
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide
 
tomandrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 33,441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewill View Post
It is not hard to educated your self on DVC rules.

But......Most people just don't take the time to learn and understand the timeshare hey own!



I can not tell you how many hot tub and pool conversations I have had over the years educating people on their timeshares. Every trip......literally, every single trip I end up giving people advice.
__________________
Love, Faith and Pixie dust!
tomandrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:06 PM   #132
Commish
One Bedroom
 
Commish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern NJ - NYC
Posts: 404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
But......Most people just don't take the time to learn and understand the timeshare hey own!



I can not tell you how many hot tub and pool conversations I have had over the years educating people on their timeshares. Every trip......literally, every single trip I end up giving people advice.
I do the same - but I never want to make people feel bad when they tell me they bought direct

OP is quite correct here - and as someone smart pointed out recently (well it was probably tomandrobin again) just as the 100+ frequent Mouseowners posters are not representative of the DVC community - renters who use MO are not fully representative of the renting community -

We are all conditioned to think in Price per point terms, non-DVC owners would more naturally view the reservation as cost per night - so if a Deluxe Studio is rented at $350 per night the renter should take into account - no tax no parking so really a $300 per night room - if the rental is during adventure season the $350 per night might equate to $20-$24 per point, during Magic Season $18-19 but only $14 pp during Premier season.

I am confident the point brokers can do brisk business with Premier Season SSR/OKW and need alot of points to satisfy demand - but as an owner, reserving premier season for rentals makes it difficult to receive a rate in excess of the broker rate.

When there is no availability and a renters choice is a BCV/BWV/BRV rental at $350 per night vs the Swan/Dolphin, POFQ etc - or DIS rate at $500 - they can make their own determination as to what is a fair deal
__________________

Last edited by Commish; 01-10-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 02:07 PM   #133
FCivish3
One Bedroom
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lost in Disney
Posts: 328
Default

Davids and the other brokers have raised their prices a bit, recently, to cover the increased point costs of membership fees. And they are now also paying a bit more.

I recently rented out 2 reservations on my own (total over 200 points) at Animal Kingdom, in the 11 month frame, for Standard rooms, at $17 per point. And I had a lot more people asking for points than I was able to fill.
__________________
-=- Fred

Poly, AKL, BLT

FCivish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:48 PM   #134
The.disney.couple
Two Bedroom
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
But......Most people just don't take the time to learn and understand the timeshare hey own!



I can not tell you how many hot tub and pool conversations I have had over the years educating people on their timeshares. Every trip......literally, every single trip I end up giving people advice.
Or Facebook, It's so bad on there. I just saw someone trying to rent out her 500 points at VGF because she forgot to bank them. They expire April 1st She wants $17 per point and wont come down despite the lack of availability
__________________
Home Resorts: VGC, PVB, CCV

Check out my disney photography
https://www.instagram.com/the.disney.couple/?hl=en
The.disney.couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:57 PM   #135
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado
 
Goofygrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.disney.couple View Post
Or Facebook, It's so bad on there. I just saw someone trying to rent out her 500 points at VGF because she forgot to bank them. They expire April 1st She wants $17 per point and wont come down despite the lack of availability
On pricing that's really their prerogative. Lowering a price would be a tactic to be certain to rent them out is all - it's not a necessity. Disney certainly doesn't lower their room prices closer to the date and that's the competition. Nor does the price change availability. The bargain hunters do expect it to be done though and many owners are willing to.

I'd have encouraged them to see if they could get an exception on the banking. If they are not habitually doing this MS might although I do find MS has been directed to be quite strict since the new person took over DVC. The long standing 1 time exception might no longer exist but I don't really know. (well, I probably wouldn't have encouraged it on facebook since that might get you royally toasted there).
__________________
Three Little Circles

Last edited by Goofygrl; 02-16-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Goofygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:07 PM   #136
FCivish3
One Bedroom
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lost in Disney
Posts: 328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.disney.couple View Post
Or Facebook, It's so bad on there. I just saw someone trying to rent out her 500 points at VGF because she forgot to bank them. They expire April 1st She wants $17 per point and wont come down despite the lack of availability
Wow. Tell her, "Hey, why don't you go online and make some reservations. Then come back here and offer the Reservations you have made. And tell people they can buy the reservations, or they can buy the points that you used for the reservations, IN CASE THEY CAN FIND ANY DAYS AVAILABLE to book with them. See if anyone is interested." Hopefully, if she sees that SHE CAN'T make GOOD reservations, easily, then she will realize what kind of predicament she is in.

I had 286 points that I received from someone in mid September. And they were going to expire January 31st, 2019. I was very very worried that I wouldn't be able to place them before they expired, because of very little villa availability through the Food and Wine Festival, and the Holidays. Some of the points brokers suggested I make reservations and then come back to them and sell the reservations. Because what there was was going fast. I ended up selling all those points, but I was willing to take payment as low as $12 a point, on up to $15 a point. At that point, if she doesn't realize the predicament she is in then there isn't much you can do. You can't cure stupid.

A quick check shows NO solid blocks of points for more than about 3 or 4 days at ANY resort in any type of room between now and April 1st. (Except Poly Bungalows, which are available on about 1/3rd of the days, and a few of the large units at SSR) Mostly it is only single rooms here and there, and a few 2 day blocks. And most resorts and room types have NO AVAILABILITY AT ALL between now and April 1st. I really don't know what she intends to do with the points.
__________________
-=- Fred

Poly, AKL, BLT


Last edited by FCivish3; 02-17-2019 at 12:07 AM.
FCivish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:44 PM   #137
The.disney.couple
Two Bedroom
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
On pricing that's really their prerogative. Lowering a price would be a tactic to be certain to rent them out is all - it's not a necessity. Disney certainly doesn't lower their room prices closer to the date and that's the competition. Nor does the price change availability. The bargain hunters do expect it to be done though and many owners are willing to.

I'd have encouraged them to see if they could get an exception on the banking. If they are not habitually doing this MS might although I do find MS has been directed to be quite strict since the new person took over DVC. The long standing 1 time exception might no longer exist but I don't really know. (well, I probably wouldn't have encouraged it on facebook since that might get you royally toasted there).
I understand that pricing is her prerogative but I disagree and absolutely think it's a necessity to drop her price with less than 6 weeks of them expiring with very little availability. We're talking 500 points here, at one of the most if not the most prestigious DVC property. And Disney is much different than one's personal points, they're a company. Disney let's rooms go unfilled to keep their prices high. If people knew they could get rooms for really cheap last minute they would wait. This person is on the verge of losing 500 points that she paid a lot of money for and could get a very big premium for had she not "forgot" to bank them. IMO, that just plain stupid.
__________________
Home Resorts: VGC, PVB, CCV

Check out my disney photography
https://www.instagram.com/the.disney.couple/?hl=en
The.disney.couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:53 PM   #138
The.disney.couple
Two Bedroom
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCivish3 View Post
Wow. Tell her, "Hey, why don't you go online and make some reservations. Then come back here and offer the Reservations you have made. And tell people they can buy the reservations, or they can buy the points that you used for the reservations, IN CASE THEY CAN FIND ANY DAYS AVAILABLE to book with them. See if anyone is interested." Hopefully, if she sees that SHE CAN'T make GOOD reservations, easily, then she will realize what kind of predicament she is in.

I had 286 points that I received from someone in mid September. And they were going to expire January 31st, 2019. I was very very worried that I wouldn't be able to place them before they expired, because of very little villa availability through the Food and Wine Festival, and the Holidays. Some of the points brokers suggested I make reservations and then come back to them and sell the reservations. Because what there was was going fast. I ended up selling all those points, but I was willing to take payment as low as $12 a point, on up to $15 a point. At that point, if she doesn't realize the predicament she is in then there isn't much you can do. You can't cure stupid.

A quick check shows NO solid blocks of points for more than about 3 days at ANY resort in any type of room between now and April 1st. Mostly it is only single rooms here and there, and a few 2 day blocks. And most resorts and room types have NO AVAILABILITY AT ALL between now and April 1st. I really don't know what she intends to do with the points.
See you at least realized the predicament you were in and were willing to go $12 a point. You also had much more time than 6 weeks, although probably the busiest time of the year.

Right, I've been stalking the past few weeks putting together a last minute 4 night trip April 1st so I know how little to no availability there is. I usually don't comment on things like this on facebook as it very easy to get attacked on there, a lot of keyboard warriors, especially ones who think they know know how things work but really don't. Most people were telling her to go to a broker and list them as distressed, trade them into RCI, or go book what she could and come back and some were offering $12 a point for anything she could book. Who know what she'll do but that should be crime coming this close to wasting 500 VGF points.
__________________
Home Resorts: VGC, PVB, CCV

Check out my disney photography
https://www.instagram.com/the.disney.couple/?hl=en
The.disney.couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:08 AM   #139
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado
 
Goofygrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.disney.couple View Post
I understand that pricing is her prerogative but I disagree and absolutely think it's a necessity to drop her price with less than 6 weeks of them expiring with very little availability. We're talking 500 points here, at one of the most if not the most prestigious DVC property. And Disney is much different than one's personal points, they're a company. Disney let's rooms go unfilled to keep their prices high. If people knew they could get rooms for really cheap last minute they would wait. This person is on the verge of losing 500 points that she paid a lot of money for and could get a very big premium for had she not "forgot" to bank them. IMO, that just plain stupid.
Booking a confirmed reservation or two or three would be more important.
__________________
Three Little Circles
Goofygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:11 AM   #140
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado
 
Shewill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 8,384
Default

No availability to April! Wow. Not even those expensive two bedrooms at Poly are available? I was going to suggest she book as many specs as she can and price them extremely low. But if nothing is available she loses 500 pts. Ouch
Shewill is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:49 AM.

MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software