home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Non-DVC-Related Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-06-2019, 04:53 PM   #31
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeli View Post
You read this as bad? I read it as a good comparison review of RC albeit a smaller ship.
It is older...22 years old and showing it's age. And it is smaller. But nicely laid out and the staff...except maybe our cabin steward...is really tip top. IE....we were at bar and they asked us if we wanted to do martini class and we said sure. Then I asked if they could sign us up for sushi class and they said they could not but the specialty dining folks could. So a minute later...literally a minute...i happened to look up through atrium and saw my bar waiter talking to another staff and pointing at me...from 2 decks above. He went and got specialty dining guy who then came down to book us for sushi class. Love that. And its been like that all cruise. I told our server, last night, that I was running to cabin to refill my wine from our bottle we brought...and he said not to do that and he would comp me a free glass of house red.

Anyway...we got off and took Uber to Cocoa beach and then back to port area to Fishlips to watch Ravens get whooped. Really good food there. Then Uber to ship and watching second half of game at pool big screen. A lot of folks feel same as my mom...not happy about Flacco sidelined so NOT happy with Harbaugh. Lots of yelling here.

So...fun time. Liking Royal Caribbean but not seeing what we want for 2020 so may go another line.

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
DVC trip(s): Aug 27-30 HHI / Sept 27-Oct 6 BWV&SSR / Dec 19-21 AKV GV & Dec 21-28 Vistana / June 7-10, 2020 HHI
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam & Sept 4, 2021 NCL Pride of America

Last edited by Lamima; 01-14-2019 at 11:16 PM.
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:13 PM   #32
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
It is older...22 years old and showing it's age. And it is smaller. But nicely laid out anf the staff...except maybe our toom steward...is really tip top. IE....we were at bar and they asked us if we wanted to do martini class and we said sure. Then I asked if they could sign us up for sushi class and they said they could not but the specialty dining folks could. So a minute latet...literally a minute...i happened to look up through atrium and saw that bar waiter talking to another staff and pointing at me...from 2 decks above. He went and got specialty dining guy who then came down to book us for sushi class. Love that. And its been like that all cruise. I told our server, last night, that i was running to cabin to refill my wine from our bottle we brought...and he said not to do that and he would comp me a free glass of house red.

Anyway...we got off and took Uber to Cocoa beach and then back to port area to Fishlips to watch Ravens get whooped. Really good food there. Then Uber to ship qnd watching second half of game at pool big screen. A lot of folks feel same as my mom...not happy about Flaco sidelined so NOT happy with Harbaugh. Lots of yelling here.

So...fun time. Liking Royal Caribbean but not seeing what we want for 2020 so may go another line.

Nice on that service!

To their credit it’s now a game...
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:23 PM   #33
Joeli
Two Bedroom

Quote:
It is older...22 years old and showing it's age. And it is smaller. But nicely laid out and the staff...except maybe our cabin steward...is really tip top. IE....we were at bar and they asked us if we wanted to do martini class and we said sure. Then I asked if they could sign us up for sushi class and they said they could not but the specialty dining folks could. So a minute later...literally a minute...i happened to look up through atrium and saw my bar waiter talking to another staff and pointing at me...from 2 decks above. He went and got specialty dining guy who then came down to book us for sushi class. Love that. And its been like that all cruise. I told our server, last night, that I was running to cabin to refill my wine from our bottle we brought...and he said not to do that and he would comp me a free glass of house red.

Anyway...we got off and took Uber to Cocoa beach and then back to port area to Fishlips to watch Ravens get whooped. Really good food there. Then Uber to ship and watching second half of game at pool big screen. A lot of folks feel same as my mom...not happy about Flaco sidelined so NOT happy with Harbaugh. Lots of yelling here.

Our experience on the freedom class ships they have and the oasis class ships were amazing. We found the same with the staff, and our cabin stewards have always been amazing. We always felt important at the dining rooms where all the people that should know your name, do. Disney is great for now with the kiddos, we will most probably move back to RCL especially with our existing loyalty level.

Upcoming:
Feb 2020 - BWV
Dec/Jan 2020 - SSR (waitlisted for PVB)/BWV (Split for NYE)
Dec 2019 - RCCL Allure of the Seas
Nov 2019 - BWV
Oct 2019 - BWV
Sept 2019 - BLT
Aug 2019 - Hilton Bonnett creek

Done:
2019 (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul) - DCL Magic - Miami - Marvel day at Sea, BRV, PVB, Swan, Swan, BWV, Swan
2018 (Jan, May, June, Aug, Sept, Nov, Dec) - DCL Fantasy - Orlando - Star Wars day at Sea, BLT, Swan x 2, Hilton Bonnet Creek, BWV/AKV (Kidani), Swan, SSR
2017 (Jan, May, Oct) - VGF, BLT, BRV
2016 (Feb, May) - PVB, BRV/BWV
2015/2014 (Sept) - BCV, AoA (Little Mermaid/Nemo/Lion King)

Joeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:24 PM   #34
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Nice on that service!

To their credit itís now a game...

And now over. Sorry about your Ravens.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:46 PM   #35
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
And now over. Sorry about your Ravens.
Well...now..fly Eagles fly.

DVC trip(s): Aug 27-30 HHI / Sept 27-Oct 6 BWV&SSR / Dec 19-21 AKV GV & Dec 21-28 Vistana / June 7-10, 2020 HHI
Old 01-06-2019, 11:21 PM   #36
bakerworld
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeli View Post
You read this as bad? I read it as a good comparison review of RC albeit a smaller ship.
So, yeah, if this is a good review of a cruise comparison: Small buffet with limited seating followed by a small dirty noisy room I have a hard enough time getting him to agree to a DCL cruise. He'd only use all that to say DCL only and then he'll grouse about the price.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:36 AM   #37
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Pulling into PC now. Or close to it anyway. Due to dock at 10:30.

Last we went to MDR around 5:30 and then saw the theater show...Broadway. it was okay. Girls and I mulled around while DH was catching some football. I thought he was up on pool deck watching in the freezing windy cold but he was in our cabin. They had the games on the pool screen and in the Schooner lounge.

I went back and joined DH in bed at 10. We got up at 7am and showered to go to MDR for breakfast, leaving DDs to sleep in. Then we went to next cruise desk to price out a summer 2020 Canada cruise on the Adventure OTS out of NJ. It was pricey so we held off booking.

Going to find a bar off ship today to watch Ravens. Though the pool deck screen will play it and should be a good time. It is only supposed to be like 64 degrees today. Still a touch chilly.
That's a late time for Port Canaveral - probably a reason I would be reluctant to take this itinerary on another line instead of Disney. I like that Disney's PC schedule out of NY lets you have a full Disney Day - you can rope drop a 9 am opening and return after a 9 or 10 pm closing.

Canadian cruises are always expensive. Bummer about AotS. I'm game for sampling anything out of NJ!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:57 AM   #38
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

So i havent been posting because we got a 2 device internet package and my DDs have been hogging. Had to get up and grab it early today to see weather situation we are returning to. Heard snow. Eeek.

Also forgot I was walking a studio at CcV for Xmas and missed my walk day. Now I am back in the masses vying for a booking at 8am.

So we get off tomorrow. Great cruise and the staff have been tip top. We did, however, skip Cococay (private island) due to rough seas. They couldn't tender us safely. That was the best stop of the trip. Oh well. And now on 3rd seaday in a row.

We like the specialty dining and would just do it every night next time...or buffet if we just want to stay in casual comfy clothes. The buffet has been packed due to freezing cold deck with it being winter. But we do always grab up a seat. They clean tables really quick...unlike Carnival.

I felt seasick yesterday as we were rockin and rollin. Looks like we will be today too.

Port canaveral was 11am to something like 10pm. We watched the Disney folks get back on around 9pm. So they probably had from about 12pm to 8pm.

Miami we took shuttle to bay area for $5pp....then when we got out there the driver said "plus tax". So we gave $23 for 4 of us. We ubered back for $7 total. Or something like that. We did famous mansions boat tour and we ate lunch and had some drinks. Then went back to the ship. Nassau we got off and shopped and DDs (almost 20) had some drinks of which they didn't like most of them and made faces and handed them over to DH and I.

On the ship we watched Jeopardy game show, movies, shows, Love and Marriage game, karaoke, played bingo and won the Mystery game... and did other stuff I am forgetting. They don't have as much going on as Carnival but enough for us. We do miss the many hours of Karaoke...only seems to be at 10pm some nights (most stuff is during or after dinner...not much at, say, 2-3pm). They did an egg drop yesterday that was fun to watch and had $2 mimosas from 10 to 12 (will have again today). They offer other drink deals too so really makes no sense to get drink package. As of last night, we were still about $300 under drink package cost and we have been getting the drinks we want.

Last edited by Lamima; 01-14-2019 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:55 PM   #39
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

I dont know how but us 3 gals all have internet today. Maybe the last day they loosen up access. Anyway...more about the cruise...

Cabin..tiny and kinda dirty though other folks we have met have clean cabins so maybe just our steward isn't as attentive. Though i did ask him for wine glasses and even though he said I needed to get the from any bar...when we came back to cabin he had 2 wine glasses waiting. Never would happen on Carnival. Also did laundry on special deal day...he gave me 2 bags which I shoved all I could in them (even though pants or sweatshirts were not supposed to go in and we did anyway) he took it and had it back in 24 hours and they only charged $25 (one charge, maybe it was a BOGO deal). Beds...DDs loved them but I found them super hard and my hip would ache so badly it would wake me from sleep. It feels like I have 2 bruised hips. My knees have also been aching from walking stairs. Uggg...lost weight to avoid my mother's chronic arthritis issues and here I am feeling it at age 45...weighing 60 pounds less than my mom. Noise was an issue all cruise with Centrum bands playing until 11:15...last night was 70s dance party and super duper loud. Then, sometime after they must move chairs and tables to clean as I wake at like 2am to a thumping stacking sound above. I am always so choosy about cabin location and DH always gives me grief and instructs me to just book cheapest...well now 2 cruises this year without attention to that detail and it has bitten us...even he has been bothered so maybe now he won't poo-poo me being choosy about our cabin selection.

Drink deals..we now have done 2 days of $2 mimosas but they also have 10 draft beer cards for like $48 and 10 any drinks (under $12) for like $80. We also got a few deals for being Gold (returners on Royal) like 25% off at coffee or a BOGO at bar.

Last night we did go to MDR...hesitantly as food is mediocre and it takes a long time plus we have to dress nicely. So it is much like cabins...you pay and get balcony which is nice or you go cheap with inside with no need to do oceanview....you pay and dress up for specialty places or you stay casual and go free to buffet with no need to do MDR. We went last night for formal night with lobster and prime rib. We have your time dining which we have done on Carnival many times and we just go when we want. But this was far more confusing. I was told to make reservations...so I did but they turned out to be bad times once we got going on cruise. I asked if we could just walk in and was basically told that we had to stick to reservations and they needed to be 5pm or 6.45pm. Which is much like the set dining times. So we tried to adjust. We saw folks walk in and go right to table, not even stopping at desk, yet they held us to wait. It was so odd...and they seated us at same table each night (not a good one either...right by entry and with server station). So last night our pre made reservation was for 7...why they let you book that online it they want to stick with 5 or 6.45 time slots...so we went at 6.40 thinking we'd be hitting that second slot. They had us wait past 7. And others would walk in and sit...even in our section with our servers. So we waited and saw our empty table for 15 mins that needed to be reset. They finally reset it and sat us there about 7.10. Then they didn't take our order until 7.30. We didn't get done until 8.45ish. Was kinda odd and we didn't get it. There were 2 nights we didn't show up so maybe that made them mad. I'd try to call dining to cancel or adjust times and it just would ring and ring and ring. Next time we will book traditional early dining time. Though our 1 other Royal cruise we did select that and stated it was an anniversary cruise yet they sat DH and I at table for 4 with 2 60+ ladies....kinda weird. So, we will pick set dining and likely not go. We need to make sure we get a ship with the specialty pay extra venues.

That is about it. I have pics and can answer questions. DDs asked to go back on Carnival...they like that more (more to do and this one had mostly retired folks so I think they felt that...where DH and I, even at just 45, can totally hang with that crowd....except the slow walking and stopping right in front of you).

And DH wanted to next do HAL Quebec to Boston....hmmmmmm. Our college kids won't much like that. He thinks his fam will all go but they wont and just he and I will be stuck on that alone. Need to really think it out. I do know that this 9 days is tooooo long. Could have gotten off 2 days ago. Starting to get snippy with each other.

Last edited by Lamima; 01-14-2019 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:25 AM   #40
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Final thoughts and photos:

So yesterday we got off the ship at 8:15. We put bags out the night before as DH is having back problems and didn't want to drag all our crap down and off of ship. We selected earliest time to get off that way though and it was 8:15. We were in hurry due to snow storm coming in (had to drop DDs off to college near Scranton PA...up 81 and then get back home to NC). We walked off ship at 8:20ish and were outside with bags at 8:35. AMAZING (in Oct on Carnival it took us about 45 minutes to get off with self assist then so not even having to search for bags).

My mom picked us up and we were at her house 25 mins later. We then did a hurried shuffle of bags and stuff between our 2 cars...DH taking DDs stuff and them to PA while I took all our crap to NC. I needed to get ahead of storm and was hoping to pick dog up from boarding. I left around 9:45 and made great time but my vet closed at noon and doesn't open until Monday morning so no doggy .

DH dropped DDs off and stayed in hotel. Not sure the weather situation or how he'll get back. My mom said it started snowing, in MD, at 4:30PM yesterday.

So I am happy with Royal and would like to do another in 2020. We have 3 WDW trips planned for 2019 (March, Oct and Dec) so no more trips (and DH wants to go tour with DDs after their study abroad in Ireland this summer). DH wants to do a HAL cruise from Quebec to Boston. I am leery as HAL is an older set and he wants our college kids and all his family to go. But I know my kids won't be stoked and his family won't join us. Maybe one sister will but the one with also 3 twenty-something kids...she won't. And his parents, who cruise HAL all the time, they won't if that sister won't. And DH likes to do all pay dinner venues (he said now that's all we'll do, no MDR) and the sister who will join us, she won't do the pay venues. In talking to other guests on this cruise, I heard great things about the Anthem and the Adventure looks nice too with panoramic ocean view cabins. I'd like a cruise on one of those.

Spending...we did stay under (about $270) the drink package cost and we ordered whatever we wanted. We had $150 OBC in each cabin that we used for the dining package and internet and an excursion on Cococay which we got refunded since they skipped Cococay. We paid tips on the seapass card (not pre paid). And our bill came to about $1150. We got a few things in the shops and we did the sushi class. We brought $300-400 in cash that we used (in ports and for extra tips). We also used our CC in a couple ports. So maybe $1600-1700 for the 4 of us for 9 days. I'd say about $50pp/day. So....WDW isn't the only pricey vacation. They all add up.

Now photos....

We had to ask them to unlock the connecting door on day 2. And our bed was made a king as we requested but DDs' was also made a king but supposed to be 2 twins. We left it a king as DDs were fine with that. All the outdated mirrors in the cabin had handprints and smudges on them. And the cabinets/drawers were all sticky where you open them. I took picture of grime in one area but not sure you can tell. Here it is...

First day in Viking lounge...

We hardly could find open time in that lounge as every time we went up there (deck 11) they had a private function going on. Izumi, sushi place, was up there too. I will post those pics here:

Class...

DD(tomboy) made the best looking, here is her plate...

DH and I went alone one night...

me outside of Izumi on deck with Miami behind me...

DDs went to buffet that night and then this is them out on deck...