home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Perks Pages"
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-05-2018, 10:53 PM   #961
Jasonv1
Grand Villa

Others have corrected your math, but you need to think big picture (and keep in mind Sam's and BJ's does frequent membership promos for really cheap, and they will ship gift cards for free).

With a 2% cash back card (Citi DoubleCash for example) plus Sam's/BJ's 5% off Disney GC's that is 7% off any day of the year. If you run everything through gift cards that is like an extra 7% off ALL Disney purchases (as I said, they ship cards to you for free). I buy *everything* Disney related using Disney GC's, and I get at least 7% off of those.

The one or twice yearly Discover promo adds another 3% to that (now 5% cash back plus same 5% off), so an even better deal. Again, cards shipped straight to your door.

Until recently I was netting 16% (14% due to fuel points savings, plus 2% Citi DoubleCash) off by catching Krogers quad fuel points promos ($1 off a gallon for up to 35 gallons of gas for $250 in GC purchases, and I have 70 gallons worth of gas cans). Kroger has closed all Raleigh area stores, so I'm still investigating whether or not Harris Teeter occasionally does quad-points for GC purchases like Kroger did. If they do, it is worth the drive to the slightly farther away HT assuming I max out the gas purchase (which I can).

Target employee discounts aside, the Discover warehouse club promo (which Chase Freedom also sometimes does) is probably the best occasional discount out there right now unless you live near a Kroger fuel center. The Kroger deal is still the best ASSUMING you go only during quad fuel points promos AND buy the full $35 gallons. I was doing this for going on 4 years until last month, and man did it hurt to see it go away. I was saving a bit over $1000 a year (I bought more than Disney GC's, Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/eBay/Starbucks/Delta/Southwest/etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Transit View Post
Please don’t take this as bashing, because I’m really interested. To me, this seems like a lot of work to follow a certain process in order to save a maximum of $14 annually.
Maybe I feel that way because our dues are under $2,000 annually and saving 5% off of that isn’t much.

My DVC homes: BLT, BRV, BWV, VGC, AUL
Other DVC resorts I've visited: VB, VGF, SSR, PVB, AKV
Jasonv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:13 PM   #962
bigbahamadada
Grand Villa

Agreed with all of the above. I wouldn't be so quick to marginalize the savings opportunity here. I've funded 5 cruises through the Amex Blue/Kroger gas game that nets 20% off. Plus dues, plus park tix, plus food. (We actually did better than 20% for many years thanks to the now dead Disney Savings Account). We've "saved" about $2000 year in gas for going on 9 years now.

We spend way too much on Disney and Southwest, for sure. But if you are going to do it anyway, why not pay 75-80 cents on the dollar?

Sorry to hear that the Raleigh Kroger's are closing. That would be a very unwelcome development.

If you are really gas points obsessed, it's worth noting that the Krogers in Middle and Eastern Tennessee have no cap on the amount of points that can be redeemed in a single transaction. You can only redeem in 10 cent increments, so you can't get to free, but a few cents a gallon is pretty sweet.
bigbahamadada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:17 PM   #963
kzrooster
Add-on Aficionado

I just read part of an article on BoardingPass.com saying that AMEX will be/is restricting offers to only one card with the same name. No more multiple offers to card members who have more than one card with the same name.

https://milestomemories.boardingarea..._Email_Aug0818
kzrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:50 PM   #964
Jasonv1
Grand Villa

FYI I don't have a picture available but the monthly BJ's coupon book I got a couple of days ago has a $15 off $100 purchase coupon on the cover, and gift cards aren't listed under the exclusions.

I haven't yet tried using it but will do so this weekend. If someone has tried already feel free to report it.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:15 AM   #965
Jasonv1
Grand Villa

The coupon worked and also stacks. Note it expires 8/15.

Bough 2 $100 Disney GC (best deal of in-store options, $96 each) plus some laundry stuff to get it above $200. Also had coupon for laundry stuff.

Worked just fine in self checkout.

Easy $23 off $200 in cards (also add 2% CC cash back).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonv1 View Post
FYI I don't have a picture available but the monthly BJ's coupon book I got a couple of days ago has a $15 off $100 purchase coupon on the cover, and gift cards aren't listed under the exclusions.

I haven't yet tried using it but will do so this weekend. If someone has tried already feel free to report it.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:11 PM   #966
baileysvic
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Q

Quote:

My BJ's coupon book doesn't have that! I wonder why? Do you have an upgraded membership?
baileysvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:24 PM   #967
Jasonv1
Grand Villa

Nope, just the cheap one.

This book did arrive a bit over a week ago, dated for 8/9 to 9/5. It has.kids with colored pencils on the front.

Just got a different book today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileysvic View Post
My BJ's coupon book doesn't have that! I wonder why? Do you have an upgraded membership?

Old 08-11-2018, 09:53 PM   #968
baileysvic
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Nope, just the cheap one.

This book did arrive a bit over a week ago, dated for 8/9 to 9/5. It has.kids with colored pencils on the front.

Just got a different book today.
Mine is also dated 8/9 - 8/5 but it has a pic of a laundry basket with a coupon for $4.50 off Tide on the cover...so unfair!!
baileysvic is offline   Reply With Quote