home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-07-2019, 10:13 PM   #11
reblzmom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
Per chance have they stopped all the announcements or rather the music chime prelude to an informational announcement coming? We were fine with the information although if you ride it enough it would become a bit of a bore but the chiming before every-single-one grated on us all after riding the routes.
I agree that the announcements get monotonous if you ride several times. However on one trip our car must have had an issue - we had zero announcements. It was kind of eerie - the gondolas are so quiet without any announcements (and this was at night) it was a little odd. When we were there they were just putting each party in their own car so we never had anyone with us. On the whole, we love the gondolas.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:46 PM   #12
FCivish3
One Bedroom

Default Skyliner MISTAKE at Riviera

So, Riviera will be opening in about a week. Once that happens, you will start seeing all kinds of reports and complaints that they are stopping the gondolas every two minutes to load and unload the ECVs at Riviera. This will affect everything from the Caribbean Beach station to EPCOT, on the CB to EPCOT line. The longest line with the most people on it.

Mark my words.

(I know it isn’t supposed to work that way, but it will.)

Poly, AKL, BLT

Last edited by FCivish3; 12-09-2019 at 11:09 PM.
FCivish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:40 AM   #13
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCivish3 View Post
So, Riviera will be opening in about a week. Once that happens, you will start seeing all kinds of reports and complaints that they are stopping the gondolas every two minutes to load and unload the ECVs at Riviera. This will affect everything from the Caribbean Beach station to EPCOT, on the CB to EPCOT line. The longest line with the most people on it.

Not having a pull-off area for loading wheelies is a mistake. I am not sure what the percentage of people using scooters and such, would be getting on/off at Riviera Resort.But you know that at certain times of the day, there will be much heavy use, then other times.....like end of the night.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:04 AM   #14
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
So, Riviera will be opening in about a week. Once that happens, you will start seeing all kinds of reports and complaints that they are stopping the gondolas every two minutes to load and unload the ECVs at Riviera.
Or we won't. Every 2 minutes is a bit of anxious hyperbole.

Will it happen? Yes. Will it be a huge problem once everybody gets used to it? Probably not.

There's always a learning curve.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:16 AM   #15
FCivish3
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Or we won't. Every 2 minutes is a bit of anxious hyperbole.

Will it happen? Yes. Will it be a huge problem once everybody gets used to it? Probably not.

There's always a learning curve.

Dirk
Every 2 minutes is hyperbole? No it isn't. Keep in mind that every ECV that loads at Riviera, will also be returning later and unloading. If this happens that there is 1 new ECV rider showing up to load every 4 minutes, then, because they will return, it will be double, so one every 2 minutes.

I already saw this happen! There was one afternoon, where they shut down the 'special loading area' at the Caribbean Beach Central, to HS line. I don't know if it was broken, or if they were just trying out the 'moving loading skills' of the ECV people. Well, that line was stopping every 2 minutes, sometimes for a minute or more at a time, because they had to stop it completely sometimes to load people who just couldn't do it right, on the fly. The Riviera station is a MISTAKE. They went cheap instead of installing the full turn buckle with ECV loading and unloading areas.

Maybe i'm wrong, but I really don't think so. AND, it doesn't matter that 'they don't have special loading areas for ECVs in Europe.' First of all, Europeans are much more skilled than Americans in some respects. They absolutely LAUGH at us, that someone has to hold our hand and nanny us. We have to have automated timers to shut off our electric blankets after 2 hours, so we don't burn ourselves, or that McDonalds needs to serve cooler coffee, because we can't avoid burning ourselves, or that we need safety rails installed at the edge of a cliff in National Parks, so that we don't walk off the edge, or many other things. So, maybe Europeans drive their ECVs better. BUT, EVEN MORE, I am absolutely sure that WHEREVER in Europe that they have these tramways, with the moving loading, THEY HAVE NOWHERE NEAR AS MANY ECVS USING THEM.

So, we'll see, but my strong prediction is that there is trouble, and lots and lots of complaints ahead.

Poly, AKL, BLT

FCivish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:58 AM   #16
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by reblzmom View Post
I agree that the announcements get monotonous if you ride several times. However on one trip our car must have had an issue - we had zero announcements. It was kind of eerie - the gondolas are so quiet without any announcements (and this was at night) it was a little odd. When we were there they were just putting each party in their own car so we never had anyone with us. On the whole, we love the gondolas.
I wish they would just pipe in some disney music -- maybe do the music that plays on the resort TV channel?
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:59 AM   #17
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Not having a pull-off area for loading wheelies is a mistake. I am not sure what the percentage of people using scooters and such, would be getting on/off at Riviera Resort.But you know that at certain times of the day, there will be much heavy use, then other times.....like end of the night.

when I was there in October -- this was my biggest complaint. If this line is already experiencing issues -- why they didn't include the scooter offloading portion is baffling.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:06 AM   #18
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Every 2 minutes is hyperbole? No it isn't. Keep in mind that every ECV that loads at Riviera, will also be returning later and unloading. If this happens that there is 1 new ECV rider showing up to load every 4 minutes, then, because they will return, it will be double, so one every 2 minutes.

I already saw this happen! There was one afternoon, where they shut down the 'special loading area' at the Caribbean Beach Central, to HS line. I don't know if it was broken, or if they were just trying out the 'moving loading skills' of the ECV people. Well, that line was stopping every 2 minutes, sometimes for a minute or more at a time, because they had to stop it completely sometimes to load people who just couldn't do it right, on the fly. The Riviera station is a MISTAKE. They went cheap instead of installing the full turn buckle with ECV loading and unloading areas.

Maybe i'm wrong, but I really don't think so. AND, it doesn't matter that 'they don't have special loading areas for ECVs in Europe.' First of all, Europeans are much more skilled than Americans in some respects. They absolutely LAUGH at us, that someone has to hold our hand and nanny us. We have to have automated timers to shut off our electric blankets after 2 hours, so we don't burn ourselves, or that McDonalds needs to serve cooler coffee, because we can't avoid burning ourselves, or that we need safety rails installed at the edge of a cliff in National Parks, so that we don't walk off the edge, or many other things. So, maybe Europeans drive their ECVs better. BUT, EVEN MORE, I am absolutely sure that WHEREVER in Europe that they have these tramways, with the moving loading, THEY HAVE NOWHERE NEAR AS MANY ECVS USING THEM.

So, we'll see, but my strong prediction is that there is trouble, and lots and lots of complaints ahead.
Correlation and causation issues with this statement.

Europe doesn't have the same consumer protection laws we have here -- nor do they have anything close to our ADA...so they do not have anywhere near the amount of scooters that we have here.

Essentially -- businesses in EP do not have to make concessions for mobility impaired -- so guess what -- mobility impaired don't participate in a lot of activities.

Go tour disneyland paris -- you won't see many -- if ANY -- ECVs while there. Same company is operating both -- but for some reason, Disney is very accommodating here in the US -- but not so much in EP.

Sure -- you might argue the US has more disabled folks -- but is that really the case??? Could be.

But the biggest factor (IMHO) is that since there is no ADA there, the parks do not have to make any concessions...and b/c of that -- people that are ECV bound just do not go.

That is just how life is over there.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:06 AM   #19
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Update? I just rode yesterday (first time); that’s as update-y as you can get.
Did not trigger my fear of heights at all. Very smooth ride. You must get off at Carribean Beach, and reboard in what direction you’re going.
BTW they pronounce it as “Carob-bee-in” rather than the alternative.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:28 AM   #20
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
The design of the Riviera Station is the same as what's used at nearly every gondola station around the world. The extra load area at all of the other WDW gondola stations is a new and untested design.