home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-12-2018, 06:01 PM   #61
Laura D
Two Bedroom

I know I'm in the minority, but I would still pay the $25 for Minnie vans.

Generally, we use the Disney transportation, but for resort to resort trips, that can be a nightmare. We used Uber almost exclusively last May and we had a couple of good drivers, but we also had several nightmare drivers. Just to see the difference we tried a Minnie van last month, and it was such a positive experience. Safe, knowledgeable, friendly, and dependable makes it worth the price to me.
Laura D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:04 PM   #62
Ransom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura D View Post

Generally, we use the Disney transportation, but for resort to resort trips, that can be a nightmare. We used Uber almost exclusively last May and we had a couple of good drivers, but we also had several nightmare drivers. Just to see the difference we tried a Minnie van last month, and it was such a positive experience. Safe, knowledgeable, friendly, and dependable makes it worth the price to me.
We tried Uber a couple of times as well, and the drivers seemed to be a mixed bag. Some had no idea how to get to our destination.

We loved using the Minnie Van service and will continue to use it at the new price, when it will save us significant time vs. Disney busses.
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:29 PM   #63
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post
Hum...........

When you are already dropping many Grand$ on a Disney trip (in addition to DVC costs)........ what is an extra $5 a trip?

Yeah....... it is a 25% increase all in one fast pop, but it still... in the 'House of Mouse' ....... is one of the lesser expensive things you can do to make your day more "Magical" when it is beneficial to you.

Disney ain't cheap no matter how you slice it.

best,

..............john

Well, it's not an extra $5 compared to "many Grand$ on a Disney trip." Let's say you use Minnie Van 3x a day over a 7 day trip (resort to park, park to different resort for dinner, other resort to home resort). Thats $75 a day, or $525 a week. For that price, rent a car.

Now, if it's a one-off like we did last fall leaving AK late at night after a Tiffens dinner, then $20 or $25 wouldn't have made a difference. But for several jaunts over the course of a vacation, it starts to get rediculous.

The thing is, some want to use MV as an alternative to bus transport and expect a low cost. That just isn't going to happen.

If someone has money to spend and wants to spend it on that, fine. But it is definitely in the realm of "luxury" considering the less expensive alternatives.

Dirk
Old 02-12-2018, 10:43 PM   #64
dvf_diva
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
We tried Uber a couple of times as well, and the drivers seemed to be a mixed bag. Some had no idea how to get to our destination.
True dat.

Feb 2019 VGF
May 2019 VGF
June 2019 BLT
Aug 2019 Celebrity Eclipse to Alaska
Oct 2019 Disney Magic DVC Member Cruise -- waitlist
Nov 2019 AKL - tentative
Feb 2020 Disney Fantasy - tentative
dvf_diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:52 PM   #65
dvf_diva
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Word is that if the gondolas go well, the system will expand to include AK and maybe elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney made it possible to use non-roadways to get from most resorts to most parks in the next 25 years.
That would be so cool!! As a NYC dweller for almost 20 (of my most recent) years, I have to say that mass transportation that is OFF the main roads is, from personal experience, faster and more efficient, than road travel. I can honestly say that not being able to easily walk to AK from an adjacent resort is a factor in why it is my least-visited theme park.

Anyway, I like the scenarios you're envisioning.
My point about the electric cars is to admit that I'm not immune to paying more for a ride share service if there was a very clear and legitimate reason for the higher price. And that I'm not so disciplined as to eschew a car service for the buses, even though it is the "greener" option.

Feb 2019 VGF
May 2019 VGF
June 2019 BLT
Aug 2019 Celebrity Eclipse to Alaska
Oct 2019 Disney Magic DVC Member Cruise -- waitlist
Nov 2019 AKL - tentative
Feb 2020 Disney Fantasy - tentative
dvf_diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:39 AM   #66
WiltonJohn
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura D View Post

Ditto... for the same reasons.

We used the Minnie Vans a LOT the last time we were there. The experience was consistently WONDERFUL. The drivers make it. Personable, full of information, accurate in fast routes, and so on.

We had the same kinds of "not so good" issues with regular Lyft and also the taxis.

The free busses (not really free...you paid for them in your other bills) are certainly great... but when you figure out how LONG you end up standing around waiting for them.... and how long they can take to get places, and how much we might call a "park hour" costs when you are not using it (as in waiting for a bus or on a bus)...... well....... Minnie Vans can look mighty attractive.

If you were going to use them anyway at $20 a ride...and use them both ways to parks...... than the new rate is $10 a day more. On a 7 day stay........ it is $70 more. If you weren't going to use them at $20......... then the price increase is a moot point.

best,

.................john
Old 02-13-2018, 09:42 AM   #67
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by reblzmom View Post
I agree that this is to serve a specific subset of people. Now all of a sudden everyone is acting like it is a right and we are being ripped off. Yikes. Minnie Vans didn't exist a few months ago - you don't HAVE to use them! If I had any of the issues that made this helpful, the price of $25 or $20 wouldn't really matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post
Ditto... for the same reasons.

We used the Minnie Vans a LOT the last time we were there. The experience was consistently WONDERFUL. The drivers make it. Personable, full of information, accurate in fast routes, and so on.

We had the same kinds of "not so good" issues with regular Lyft and also the taxis.

The free busses (not really free...you paid for them in your other bills) are certainly great... but when you figure out how LONG you end up standing around waiting for them.... and how long they can take to get places, and how much we might call a "park hour" costs when you are not using it (as in waiting for a bus or on a bus)...... well....... Minnie Vans can look mighty attractive.

If you were going to use them anyway at $20 a ride...and use them both ways to parks...... than the new rate is $10 a day more. On a 7 day stay........ it is $70 more. If you weren't going to use them at $20......... then the price increase is a moot point.

best,

.................john
We certainly had a stellar MInnieVan experience (apart from the fact that the AK gate CMs were clueless as to where we would be picked up). The driver was funny, polite, helpful and the vehicle was comfortable.

The problem with Uber/Lyft is that you are riding in another person's personal vehicle. I've never had a messy vehicle, but they are just ordinary cars of varying sizes and configurations. It's not a "catered experience." One driver in Ft Lauderdale even offered me water bottle that had clearly been re-filled (typical developing nation trick - I've learned the hard way from my travels to always check!). However, the drivers have always been polite and professional and have gotten us safely and directly to our destination.

They are supposed to follow the route maps, so if they get lost, either the GPS is whack or they went off route. At Disney, GPS generally takes you the best way (though with current construction there are still some misses). I know the area well enough that I can suggest the route to take if I use a ride-share.

We've had very good luck with buses with only a few notable exceptions. I won't stay at an Epcot or MK resort without a car - ironic considering their multiple transportation options. This last trip was the only time we always seemed to have just missed the bus and had to wait 15-20 minutes.

That balances with our previous trip in which we waited 2 minutes as the longest wait. I just budget it into our transport time, and we're not in commando mode. Plus, I'm German. When I want to get somewhere on time, I'm early.

All in all - I'll likely use a ride-share at Disney if bus transportation won't cut it, but I would also splurge on a Minnie Van if the number of people or type of experience (such as a really nice dinner) merited it.

Gong to parks, I'll always take the bus unless I have my own car and want to go elsewhere after the park. Going home in the evening after closing, then it's more tempting to find any kind of car service.

Dirk
Old 02-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #68
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

I stayed off site this weekend and met a friend at Disney Springs for dinner Sunday. Uber to Disney Springs from Sheraton LBV $7.10 Uber back to Sheraton $7.10

Yes I added a tip but roundtrip was $14.20. No problems with drivers etc. I just can't justify paying twice the going rate to ride in a Minnie Van (heck I took Uber from Saratoga Springs to Universal for under $20!)
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:33 PM   #69
homerdance
Studio

Quote:
Scooter service would be awesome! In general, I don't mind using the Scooter in the buses because of the priority boarding, but to from resort to resort - Yeah, I'd pay the $25. And, quite frankly, I wouldn't mind if they offered some soot of MinnieVan scooter package simply to help people out with scooters and reduce scooter demand on the buses. I know people would pay it.

I only had to use a scooter one trip because of a knee injury, but I would have paid $25 a day for 2-3 uses.

But again, I think this what Minnie Van service is for - the people for whom existing options aren't really the best option - large parties, multiple car-seats, scooters. Or, those who have more money and simply don't care. It's just something that isn't practical from any standpoint for the mass usage.

Dirk
I never understood why Disney Makes it so hard to rent a scooter at the park. The process could be very much more streamlined with the Magic Band, pay 1 fee, sign all the paper work at/before check in, when you arrive at the park simply check in with a tap of the magic band, and pick up an ECV at the park, tied specifically to your band, and then drop off before you leave. Then all of the talk about the scooter friendly transportation would be much less.

Our last trip we had a scooter for one of our party, they didn't need it 100% of the time, but needed it most of the time. Walking from bus/boat to the entrance wouldn't have been a problem (might have been slow), just the entire day on the feet was to much. But the pain that it is to get a scooter daily at the park made us get the cheaper off site rental, we would have paid more and just gotten them from Disney but that is just painful to do at the park.
homerdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:40 PM   #70
homerdance
Studio

Quote:

The problem with Uber/Lyft is that you are riding in another person's personal vehicle. I've never had a messy vehicle, but they are just ordinary cars of varying sizes and configurations. It's not a "catered experience." One driver in Ft Lauderdale even offered me water bottle that had clearly been re-filled (typical developing nation trick - I've learned the hard way from my travels to always check!). However, the drivers have always been polite and professional and have gotten us safely and directly to our destination.

They are supposed to follow the route maps, so if they get lost, either the GPS is whack or they went off route. At Disney, GPS generally takes you the best way (though with current construction there are still some misses). I know the area well enough that I can suggest the route to take if I use a ride-share.
Dirk
Funny, this is almost the exact same thing my wife and I talked about before she finally agreed to ride an UBER on our last trip to Chicago, which was after we took a ride in a sketchy cab. The UBER was less then 1/2 price, and the car was nicer and cleaner, and much easier to obtain.

That being said, there is definitely value in riding a "company" car vs. Joe Plumbers car, and the flat rate thing is a nice touch. On our upcoming trip, if the need arises to take a car, more then likely i will take MV vs. uber/lyftt/cab.
homerdance is offline   Reply With Quote