home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-29-2018, 02:20 PM   #1
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Default Mom's 70th Bday to HHI May TR

We went to WDW in March to watch DDs play college ball in Kissimmee. We had a room for us and a room for MIL and FIL booked but MIL was diagnosed with rare appendix cancer and was undergoing chemo. We cancelled their room, right at something like 31-32 days out, and had to use those points by our June UY. I saw a 2BR available at HHI for my mom's 70th birthday and mom likes HHI (took her to WDW last May but she is NOT fond of WDW.at.all.). Back to the fave UY thread....this is the one time I wish we had Oct UY.

So I invited my mom and twin DDs for a girls only trip. I booked the 3 available nights, Wed through Sat. Sat night was also available but those weekend point costs are crazy high so I opted to pass on that night but waitlisted Tue night and it came through after about a week or two.

My mom was not 100% stoked as she has two bad knees and needs a double knee replacement. She is fighting getting that done and has been doing all kinds of shots but they aren't working anymore. I am holding my breath that she doesn't back out. Though if she does, DDs-19 and I will still go and maybe invite a mom and daughter set of friends.

Meanwhile, MIL is about to undergo a massive surgery called MOAS, meaning mother of all surgeries. It is a tough long surgery with a tough long recovery. It's on the 2nd. Hopefully it will go well. But our trip plans could change depending on how things go. That Oct UY definitely would come in handy. If we cancel now, points go in holding and need to be used by May 31. I suppose we'd just offer it up to a friend or something.

I go get the girls from college in PA on May 10. We will stay at my mom's in MD until Mother's Day when we will drive two cars down here to NC. Then we'll head to HHI on May 15th and will probably just walk over to Scott's for dinner. I made resie, via Open Table, at Poseidon on the 16th for mom's birthday. May do the usual meal at Frosty Frog in Coligny. While not the best food, it's something we do every trip. And want to try something new for the 4th dinner.

There we go. Let's see how this one rolls.

Owners since 2006 at OKW, HHI, BWV & CCV
LAURA's next trip(s):
Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS, Jan 18-21 HHI, March 2-9 at BLT, May 31- June 4 HHI and Sept 28- Oct 4 at BWV
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 02:53 PM   #2
melk
Grand Villa

Hope all goes well so you’ll be able to get to HHI and enjoy yourselves.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:30 PM   #3
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Best wishes to your mother-in-law on her surgery and recovery.

Hope you’re able to enjoy your trip.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:26 PM   #4
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk View Post
Hope all goes well so you’ll be able to get to HHI and enjoy yourselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Best wishes to your mother-in-law on her surgery and recovery.

Hope you’re able to enjoy your trip.
Thank you.

MIL's surgery went really well. They feel like they got everything and it wasn't as aggressive as they feared so she won't even need another round of chemo. She is recovering nicely and will be in hospital for about another week if all things continue as they are. My mom is also feeling okay and should be good for the HHI trip. So, it's all looking good. I am so ready for this trip, to my favorite place.

LAURA's next trip(s):
Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS, Jan 18-21 HHI, March 2-9 at BLT, May 31- June 4 HHI and Sept 28- Oct 4 at BWV
Old 05-04-2018, 05:37 PM   #5
JudieHopps
Two Bedroom

Excellent news all around.

A lot on your plate.... so glad to hear things are going well for everyone.
JudieHopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:48 PM   #6
mikayla73
Grand Villa

Great to hear she is doing well. I hope you enjoy your trip and am looking forward to hearing about it.
mikayla73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:34 PM   #7
melk
Grand Villa

Glad to hear both your MIL and mom are doing well. Enjoy your trip!
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 04:16 AM   #8
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
Thank you.

MIL's surgery went really well. They feel like they got everything and it wasn't as aggressive as they feared so she won't even need another round of chemo. She is recovering nicely and will be in hospital for about another week if all things continue as they are. My mom is also feeling okay and should be good for the HHI trip. So, it's all looking good. I am so ready for this trip, to my favorite place.

Excellent news, indeed.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:03 PM   #9
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Girls are home and unpacked from college. We are now packing up for the trip to HHI. We head down tomorrow. I hope to leave house at 9am which should put us there around 2pm. But my mom is very slow with everything she does. We left her house in MD yesterday and we got up at 7 but did not get on the road until 9.30. She slowly got dressed and then asked that we pick up branches in her yard from storm the night before. Then she asked to stop for sit down breakfast before we left town. She has no sense of urgency about anything. But, after making the east coast drive, up and down coast, many times over the past 3 years, I know the traffic patterns and the earlier you get going the better.

So I will tell her to be ready to hit road at 9am. That way we will hit route 40 around 9.20 when rush hour should be done. Then we may get to resort by 2...unless she wants to stop for sit down lunch. So...off we go. Will post tomorrow after we get settled in the room.

LAURA's next trip(s):
Old 05-14-2018, 12:13 PM   #10
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
Girls are home and unpacked from college. We are now packing up for the trip to HHI. We head down tomorrow. I hope to leave house at 9am which should put us there around 2pm. But my mom is very slow with everything she does. We left her house in MD yesterday and we got up at 7 but did not get on the road until 9.30. She slowly got dressed and then asked that we pick up branches in her yard from storm the night before. Then she asked to stop for sit down breakfast before we left town. She has no sense of urgency about anything. But, after making the east coast drive, up and down coast, many times over the past 3 years, I know the traffic patterns and the earlier you get going the better.

So I will tell her to be ready to hit road at 9am. That way we will hit route 40 around 9.20 when rush hour should be done. Then we may get to resort by 2...unless she wants to stop for sit down lunch. So...off we go. Will post tomorrow after we get settled in the room.
Good luck and have a great time!