home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-09-2018, 03:57 PM   #1
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Default Flight of Passage EMH and Other Tales

This morning (5/9) I showed up at 7:30 for 8:00 EMH at AK. (I had intended to be there at 7:15.) I was in the first row of guest parking but those darn buses were bringing in people too. They were already admitting eligible people into the park! Like nearly everyone else I hustled over to FOP, and got in line. The standby tine posted was 60 min (before the park was officially open!), but I knew that was bogus. Within 30-35 minutes I was on the ride, with most of the time spent slowly walking through the queue line! There is relatively little indoor queue area, but it wound all over the place in Pandora.
-- Do get there 45-60 minutes before the park opens if you can.
-- Don't worry if you have no idea where it is. Just follow the other people.
-- For obvious reasons, minimize your beverage consumption at breakfast.

It is very much worth a 30-minute wait, maybe 45. And I don't say that lightly. I am one of those "no line over 20 min" people. But this ride is as good as everyone says, maybe better. My only comment is that you never get to see any part of the banshee you are riding on. It would have been a nice touch if you could see the parts of its head and/or wings you would naturally see. it has some similarities with Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, but it's even better.

They give a warning that people with fear of heights may want to skip it. I do have a fear of heights (more accurately of falling) but I'm generally OK if the restraints are sufficient. The restraints are adequate but not the full-body restraints that serious coasters often have. I was fine.

In other news (or not), there are now official posters saying that the construction near the International Gate is part of the "Disney Skyliner", and that Great Movie Ride will be replaced by "Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway". Of course we knew these things but it was good to see them out in the open now,

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:10 PM   #2
noreen99
Two Bedroom

Thanks, good to hear we are planning on rope dropping FoP on our AK day couldn't get 7 FP anytime near each other.
noreen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:11 PM   #3
kiapgh23e
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
This morning (5/9) I showed up at 7:30 for 8:00 EMH at AK. (I had intended to be there at 7:15.) I was in the first row of guest parking but those darn buses were bringing in people too. They were already admitting eligible people into the park! Like nearly everyone else I hustled over to FOP, and got in line. The standby tine posted was 60 min (before the park was officially open!), but I knew that was bogus. Within 30-35 minutes I was on the ride, with most of the time spent slowly walking through the queue line! There is relatively little indoor queue area, but it wound all over the place in Pandora.
-- Do get there 45-60 minutes before the park opens if you can.
-- Don't worry if you have no idea where it is. Just follow the other people.
-- For obvious reasons, minimize your beverage consumption at breakfast.

It is very much worth a 30-minute wait, maybe 45. And I don't say that lightly. I am one of those "no line over 20 min" people. But this ride is as good as everyone says, maybe better. My only comment is that you never get to see any part of the banshee you are riding on. It would have been a nice touch if you could see the parts of its head and/or wings you would naturally see. it has some similarities with Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, but it's even better.

They give a warning that people with fear of heights may want to skip it. I do have a fear of heights (more accurately of falling) but I'm generally OK if the restraints are sufficient. The restraints are adequate but not the full-body restraints that serious coasters often have. I was fine.

In other news (or not), there are now official posters saying that the construction near the International Gate is part of the "Disney Skyliner", and that Great Movie Ride will be replaced by "Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway". Of course we knew these things but it was good to see them out in the open now,
Good to know info for FOP.

MOD 97
kiapgh23e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:33 PM   #4
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

So, what I've always wondered when it's suggested is why is it better to arrive 60 minutes before a park opening to wait and then probably still have at a 10-15 minute wait or so unless you push yourself to the front vs arriving like you did - 30 minutes ahead and having a 30 minute or so wait?
Old 05-09-2018, 05:12 PM   #5
MelMass
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Waiting

Exactly. Wait at the gates or wait in the queue...I suppose people justify it because they are done with the ride earlier in the day then they can head to the rest of the park while everyone else is in line. I don't know.
I personally find it ludicrous to wait an hour (or more) to ride a ride. No matter how "good" the ride is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
So, what I've always wondered when it's suggested is why is it better to arrive 60 minutes before a park opening to wait and then probably still have at a 10-15 minute wait or so unless you push yourself to the front vs arriving like you did - 30 minutes ahead and having a 30 minute or so wait?

Last edited by MelMass; 05-09-2018 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Typos
MelMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:22 PM   #6
BEAM4DVC
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
Good question! Here's our logic - good or bad!

We figure that if we arrive early we will know approximately how many people are ahead of us because we can see them in line at the tapstiles. We like rope drop because we know we can get more done in any park if we get there early.

If we arrive late, then we don't know how many people have already made it through the gate and are already in line.

Makes us feel more in control....it's probably all in our heads, but it feels like we beat those people!!
BEAM4DVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:25 PM   #7
BEAM4DVC
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelMass View Post
I personally find it ludicrous to wait an hour (or more) to ride a ride. No matter good it is.
We will walk by anything with a standby time over 10 minutes and even that may require a group discussion about whether or not the attraction is "wait worthy."
BEAM4DVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:09 PM   #8
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

BTW Flight of Passage has 4 bays of 16 ride stations each, so it has a capacity of 64. The ride last 4.5 minutes. I would guess each station can handle about 10 riders per hour. If so that's 640 riders per hour. I am pretty sure that this morning the ride began operation before 8AM.

Last edited by erikthewise; 05-09-2018 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:16 PM   #9
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelMass View Post
Exactly. Wait at the gates or wait in the queue...I suppose people justify it because they are done with the ride earlier in the day then can to the rest of the park while everyone else is in line. I don't know.
I personally find it ludicrous to wait an hour (or more) to ride a ride. No matter good it is.
I agree, and I would have bailed if I believed that estimate. But wait time estimates in the first 30 minutes of the day are notoriously flaky.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:00 PM   #10
MelMass
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Waiting

Wow! I wish I saw waits for only 10 minutes - I need to vacation when you do!! I don't mind waiting 20-30 minutes, but not for every ride. A few years ago it was definitely closer to 10-15 minutes, but I haven't seen waits that low our last couple of trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAM4DVC View Post
We will walk by anything with a standby time over 10 minutes and even that may require a group discussion about whether or not the attraction is "wait worthy."
MelMass is offline   Reply With Quote