home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-18-2018, 12:24 PM   #1
WiltonJohn
One Bedroom

Default When/How is best to make DVC room requests?

So....... so far we are pretty much batting 0.00 on DVC room requests. Last trip we got exactly 0 of the things we asked for. In fact in all cases it was possibly the most extreme opposite of what we had requested.

Trip before that... other than a working (medical) fridge being in the room....nada.

So... what is the trick?

Who and how to contact?

When to contact?

Is on-line check-in any better at results? (Have never used it. Prefer talking to a live human being at the resort upon check-in.)

best,

.................john
Old 07-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #2
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

I wish I knew the trick for 100%, or close. In 16 years of membership, our method works about 50% of the time. I always call and have our requests added to our reservation. So even if I make the reservation on-line, I call at some point to add requests. The only ones that work much better are our requests at HHI. We request one of 3 villas, and always get one of those. Our odds are increased though, because we reserve a 1 BR and there are only 21 to choose from. One time at BCV, we were told that there was no room that met our request for a woods view, but when the room they gave us wasn't available, the new one was...perfect woods view! And once at OKW, altho we'd requested gold course view (which I thought would be fairly easy to fulfill), they told us at check-in that our room wasn't gold course view. But when we got there, our room, although not a perfect golf course view, was a better golf course view than some of the supposed golf course views we'd had. I do agree with you completely about the live human at check in!
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:44 PM   #3
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

A couple of things. Which resort are you asking about ? Smaller resorts will have a harder time accommodating you especially at the last minute.

Waiting until you arrive is probably your biggest problem. The room assignor has already worked other peopleís requests and assigned rooms as best he/she can. The front desk isnít going to have a lot to work with because they canít bump someone else who put in their requests earlier.

We do not do on-line check in because it requires setting up charging to MB which we generally donít do. I always call MS about a month out and put in any requests we may have.

Weve done well on getting any requests we might have everywhere except OKW. I think my name must be on a naughty list at OKW. We do keep our requests general enough so that a lot of rooms would meet the criteria. The more specific you are the less likely you are to get your request.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:51 PM   #4
DeniseKayC
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post

Is on-line check-in any better at results? (Have never used it. Prefer talking to a live human being at the resort upon check-in.)
The above is the biggest reason why you're having trouble. By the time you arrive your room has already been assigned, and making changes to it is difficult.

The key is to make your request BEFORE the room assigner assigns your room. To do that either do the online check-in and make your preference choices from the drop downs available there, or, if the drop down choices don't really give you what you need then call MS and have your room preference added to the reservation.

I would do this no later than 2 weeks before check in.

Also, be aware that it's been stated that any room preferences you may choose in online check in will wipe out any previous preferences you had put in by MS. So, if you do use online check in, either don't make any preferences choices there and/or call in your preferences to MS after doing online check in.
DeniseKayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:14 PM   #5
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post
So....... so far we are pretty much batting 0.00 on DVC room requests. Last trip we got exactly 0 of the things we asked for. In fact in all cases it was possibly the most extreme opposite of what we had requested.

Trip before that... other than a working (medical) fridge being in the room....nada.

So... what is the trick?

Who and how to contact?

When to contact?

best,

.................john
We just put the request in with Member services.

I don't think how you check in makes a difference but the request should be done at least 10 days or more prior to arrival. Don't use the online check in to do requests - they are pretty much non-applicable for most.

And IMO, certain requests that are very popular at big resorts are just as difficult to fill - I think even more than requests at small resorts. For example, at Kidani, nobody wants to be at the end of the hall and near the lobby is VERY popular. But somebody does have to be at the end of the hall so some will be disappointed. BWV is kind of similar. MS always laughs at me when I do requests there because most times I am asking to be at the end of one of the long hallways.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:48 PM   #6
avsheffi
Grand Villa

We usually call the resort directly and make our request. They typically won't take those requests until about 7-10 days before check-in. We've been lucky and have had close to a 100% success rate when doing that. I've requested the Paddock at SSR, ground floor by quiet pool view at BCV twice, near elevator higher floor at AKV and Congress Park view of DS at SSR. I've gotten all of them. Once for SSR we requested ground floor at the Springs and we got a fifth floor room at Grandstand. That's the only time I can remember not getting somewhat close to what we requested.

avsheffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:11 PM   #7
MOTed
One Bedroom

I have had fair success using the FAX service provided by touringplans.com. Itís one of the nice benefits provided by a touring plans membership.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:35 PM   #8
WiltonJohn
One Bedroom

Thanks folks.

To be more clear here.......

This coming trip we are at Kidani, savannah view studio. Other recent trips were Kidani and Jambo.

We have always called/emailed/faxed in advance. Typically as much as 2-3 weeks ahead. Called again at about one week out. We are not waiting until we check in for asking this stuff, we just don't like the online check-in idea.

Also..... we are not asking for really detailed stuff like some folks I know do (who give them 3 or 4 specific UNIT numbers in a lodge). Just something like "how about 3rd floor, and either xxxxx savannah or yyyyyyy savannah".

Then we get the 5th floor and some other savannah.

Or simply "how about somewhere more on the Jambo house end of the Kidani building".... and we get almost the last unit on the OTHER end of the building (on a different floor than we asked for also).

And so on.

best,

....................john
Old 07-19-2018, 07:14 AM   #9
grayandry
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsheffi View Post
We usually call the resort directly and make our request. They typically won't take those requests until about 7-10 days before check-in.
This!
grayandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:19 AM   #10
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTed View Post
I have had fair success using the FAX service provided by touringplans.com. Itís one of the nice benefits provided by a touring plans membership.
Used this lat time and it worked well.

Owners since 2006 at OKW, HHI, BWV & CCV
LAURA's next trip(s):
2018- Oct 5-6 at CCV before Oct 6-14 CCL Horizon cruise and Oct 14-15 at HHI then Dec 19-24 at BLT/BWV
2019- Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS and Jan 18-21 HHI
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote