home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Wining & Dining
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-13-2018, 10:36 PM   #11
bakerworld
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseOfCards View Post
So frustrating. Will be arriving into MCO in a couple of weeks. Sister's family was schedule to fly in at about the same time. However, she was just notified that their flight has been changed to arrive a couple of hours later - so they will be arriving at 7:00pm. But we have an ADR at Ohanas for 8:00pm. Even if we get the rental car first and pick them up, is there enough time for them to get their luggage and for us to make it for our ADR?
IMO, if you're staying in a far venue like AK or OKW then it's not possible. But, you could arrive late for your ADR (they hold them for 20 minutes) and then make a 'special seating request" saying you're willing to wait. Between these two item you could 'buy' an extra hour and then when you are seated tell the wait staff that some of your party are running late so you'd rather hold off on service until they arrive.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:18 PM   #12
goldilocks_63
Grand Villa

Talking

Quote:
So frustrating. Will be arriving into MCO in a couple of weeks. Sister's family was schedule to fly in at about the same time. However, she was just notified that their flight has been changed to arrive a couple of hours later - so they will be arriving at 7:00pm. But we have an ADR at Ohanas for 8:00pm. Even if we get the rental car first and pick them up, is there enough time for them to get their luggage and for us to make it for our ADR?

Have sister move flight to an earlier flight. Call the carrier and explain that the change doesn't work for you, And you need to be moved (withiut fees) to an earlier flight. They should accommodate.

Goldi
goldilocks_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:03 AM   #13
MouseOfCards
Two Bedroom

Thanks for all the helpful comments and suggestions!

Sister said that there were no other flights available that would work for them. Tried to call the restaurant direct, but Poly staff said Ohana doesn't take direct calls. They said we could show up late and wait for an available table, which is probably what will end up happening. As an FYI, an airline manager did offer them a $75 voucher per ticket for a future flight if booked within 12 months.
MouseOfCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM   #14
Jasonv1
Grand Villa

The problem is those MCO trains, they cost you 10 minutes. Checked bags can add another 10 (if you have them). Traffic on the way can add another 5-10 if you land at a bad time. Little kid need a post-landing bathroom break? Another 5. Back of the plane? Another 5-10.

I use Hertz which means no counter stops (others offer the same deal if you have a completed profile online). Combine that with carry-on bags, Delta status which keeps me near the front of the plane, and I know I could get to any park/resort within an hour of landing without traffic problems. This assumes nonstop movement from the moment the plane doors open.

So while it can be done, you do need to plan ahead so that your stars can all align.

My DVC homes: BRV, BWV, VGC, AUL
Other DVC resorts I've visited: VB, VGF, SSR, PVB, BLT, AKV
Jasonv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM   #15
reblzmom
Grand Villa

Does 'Ohana ever really seat anyone on time??
Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM   #16
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by reblzmom View Post
I was just going to post this.

My suggestion is going to be a little different. Seeing as 'Ohana never seats on time, ever. And there is a late check-in allowance on top of that. And you will already be on-site prior to her arrival. I think you may want to just try heading down to the stand when you get there and explain the situation. Either have Sis take an Uber over when she gets in, or go to pick her up while another party member waits at 'Ohana. I can't see it being a problem if she gets in at 8:30 or even 8:45. They might seat your family (assuming you know that sis has landed and will make it over eventually) and just have them join you when they arrive.
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM   #17
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Funny enough I was thinking that too

Quote:

Sister said that there were no other flights available that would work for them. Tried to call the restaurant direct, but Poly staff said Ohana doesn't take direct calls. They said we could show up late and wait for an available table, which is probably what will end up happening. As an FYI, an airline manager did offer them a $75 voucher per ticket for a future flight if booked within 12 months.
Sorry that nothing else worked for them. To clarify were you going to pick them up or did I read that wrong? That might help. If they are getting a rental car and can, I suggest the divide and conquer strategy. Send one for the car and the other(s) to get bags. Pick them up just outside baggage claim along the curb. I find at that time of day you should be able to get there in 25 minutes or so. If possible get a transponder for the Sunpass so you don't have to stop for tolls.

We've done one hour from airport to check in with our own car more than once. No bags makes it easier but obviously little hiccups can screw things up. Good luck!
Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM   #18
zafiro
One Bedroom

Quote:
That's for sure! I don't think they've ever had us in on time without at least a 30 minute wait. We just always assume they build in a 30 - 50 minute bar time.
zafiro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM   #19
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

You do understand "wait for an available table" could mean "you are here for a couple of hours" Especially with a large group!
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM   #20
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolA View Post
You do understand "wait for an available table" could mean "you are here for a couple of hours" Especially with a large group!
Exactly. And honestly at a place like 'Ohana, that's not even a thing. They won't even take walk ups. So you're really "wating for a large party with an ADR to not show up, and there to also not be other large parties in the waiting area when that happens." There's very little chance of that. So at that point, you're just going to have to sit all night and hope that they end up with a clear large table and no party waiting right before closing.
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote