home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Non-DVC-Related Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-13-2017, 01:44 PM   #71
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdzgon View Post
Next year's destination is Greece, or possibly a Mediterranean cruise that includes Greece (granddaughter's trip this time, and she has chosen Greece). However, as to 2019, if you sail from ~June 1 - Aug 1, I'd love to join in!
I loved, loved, loved our Greek Isle cruise! Make sure you pick one that has a stop at Santorini
Old 07-17-2017, 09:34 PM   #72
D C
Add-on Aficionado

Iíve been in touch with a cousin of mine in Guernsey. Iíll put up some general information here, for anyone that might be making a stop, and then send some specific information via PM. I may be repeating myself here a bit. My apologies if I am.

Youíll often see on various forums, a suggestion to take the 91/92 bus for a trip around the island for £1. Donít. Please. Just donít. Sure, itís £1, but that's a bit overpriced if you're looking for a tour. The bus will likely be crowded. Thereís no narrative, no stopping, no looking around except for the view you get through dirty bus windows, past other people who are thinking a £1 trip is going to be a great excursion. It isnít. Plus, itís a commuter bus, so youíll have a lot of locals trying to get from here to there.

For a cheap tour, look for the RED ROUTE tour. Itís a 2-hour tour operated by the Guernsey bus company, specifically on cruise ship days. It starts from stand A at the town terminus, which is right near the pier that the cruise ships use. Cost? £7.50 (under $10). It makes stops for people to get out and look around, including a stop at the Little Chapel (which has just undergone some well-needed restoration). I understand there is a narrative as well. Pop into the kiosk at the front of the bus terminal for the times offered on a particular day.

Otherwise, for tours, I would recommend Intransit. Iíve contacted them and found theyíre full-up for your Aug trip. Island Coachways is another company, but they donít seem to cater to cruise ships as well as Intransit, and also have nothing available that day.

Otherwise, adding a bit to what Iíve posted beforeÖ.
The cafť at Fermain Bay opens at 10am. So keep that in mind if you fancy a bite to eat after your bit of a walk. Might not be a bad idea to leave town around 9 or a little before if youíre headed that way.

Most shops in town open around 9 or so. The Candie Garden Museum (where the key to Victoria Tower is kept) opens at 10. Being in port earlier than that means youíll see very uncrowded streets (I love walking around St Peter Port when thereís nobody aroundÖ quaint and peaceful). Of course, there are restaurants open for breakfast, so if youíd like something, just let me know and Iíll get a recommendation.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:09 PM   #73
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post
Iíve been in touch with a cousin of mine in Guernsey. Iíll put up some general information here, for anyone that might be making a stop, and then send some specific information via PM. I may be repeating myself here a bit. My apologies if I am.

Youíll often see on various forums, a suggestion to take the 91/92 bus for a trip around the island for £1. Donít. Please. Just donít. Sure, itís £1, but that's a bit overpriced if you're looking for a tour. The bus will likely be crowded. Thereís no narrative, no stopping, no looking around except for the view you get through dirty bus windows, past other people who are thinking a £1 trip is going to be a great excursion. It isnít. Plus, itís a commuter bus, so youíll have a lot of locals trying to get from here to there.

For a cheap tour, look for the RED ROUTE tour. Itís a 2-hour tour operated by the Guernsey bus company, specifically on cruise ship days. It starts from stand A at the town terminus, which is right near the pier that the cruise ships use. Cost? £7.50 (under $10). It makes stops for people to get out and look around, including a stop at the Little Chapel (which has just undergone some well-needed restoration). I understand there is a narrative as well. Pop into the kiosk at the front of the bus terminal for the times offered on a particular day.

Otherwise, for tours, I would recommend Intransit. Iíve contacted them and found theyíre full-up for your Aug trip. Island Coachways is another company, but they donít seem to cater to cruise ships as well as Intransit, and also have nothing available that day.

Otherwise, adding a bit to what Iíve posted beforeÖ.
The cafť at Fermain Bay opens at 10am. So keep that in mind if you fancy a bite to eat after your bit of a walk. Might not be a bad idea to leave town around 9 or a little before if youíre headed that way.

Most shops in town open around 9 or so. The Candie Garden Museum (where the key to Victoria Tower is kept) opens at 10. Being in port earlier than that means youíll see very uncrowded streets (I love walking around St Peter Port when thereís nobody aroundÖ quaint and peaceful). Of course, there are restaurants open for breakfast, so if youíd like something, just let me know and Iíll get a recommendation.

Excellent stuff, Dave. Thanks very much!
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:04 AM   #74
Nickys
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdzgon View Post
I SO wish I had found this thread before our trip!! Recently returned from a U.K. trip with 2 14 y.o. grandsons. One thing I found in Edinburgh was the traffic prevented us from doing all we wanted to do. Couldn't do Holyrood due to a royal visit, but we also couldn't do all we wanted as it took forever on the bus to get anywhere! I cannot imagine what the traffic will be during Tattoo! We were there June 29-Jul 1(early)...is it possible the traffic was an anomaly? The lines for the Scottish Crown Jewels was very long, too. Seeing those took us over 90 minutes. I'm not sure I would invest that amount of time to see them over some of the other choices in Edinburgh.

Next year's destination is Greece, or possibly a Mediterranean cruise that includes Greece (granddaughter's trip this time, and she has chosen Greece). However, as to 2019, if you sail from ~June 1 - Aug 1, I'd love to join in!

The Tattoo will have to wait until I stop teaching, but I definitely plan on returning to Scotland. We absolutely loved it there!
Traffic can be bad, definitely. We have such a good bus service, as in routes and so on, but the city centre gets snarled big time. To be honest, Edinburgh is a city to be walked. Once you're in town, it's the best way to get around. But the buses do mostly end up running to time though, and we do have a bus tracker system too. I suppose it depends where you wee trying to get to.

I'm sorry you didn't get to do everything you wanted. I agree with the 90 minute wait not being worth it for "Scotland's Honours". It's a pity because the queue winds through some of the original Royal apartments and there's a good display of Mary Queen of Scots' story on the way. But yes, that is the one bit that does see big queues.

Now back to my original spiel, and I just realised that the Fringe is actually finishing the same weekend as the Festival this year. This is highly unusual, and it means you'll still see The Royal Mile in Festival mode. And also that the tour buses will be re-routed for the top part of it too.

Edit: Aha, just had a thought about that busy weekend. Not only was it the start of Royal Week at Holyrood, but also President Trudeau was visiting. And it was graduation week (well one of several), tho that in itself isn't a big issue. But all three combined?
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote