home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tips and Tricks for First-Timers and Fanatics
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-08-2018, 05:52 PM   #11
nrspepe
Two Bedroom

If just me, DH and perhaps a few others, no DDP. We use TIW. When we have large groups, 10 +, we do purchase the DDP. This way we have everyone’s meals covered. They can go on their own to eat breakfast (usually snacks...if not in the room) and lunch (usually QS) without being able to charge to the room. We meet for dinner and everyone is happy to get whatever they please at a TS restaurant. It may not be the most cost effective. But, it takes a lot of stress off of DH.

I really like that they added cocktails...
nrspepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:59 PM   #12
rowrbazzle
Grand Villa

https://www.distripplanner.com/ is a useful tool for getting a rough idea of whether or not the dining plan is worth it. When I checked for my upcoming trip the biggest "savings" for us seemed to be in the snacks and mugs. However, we wouldn't typically buy that many snacks and wouldn't buy mugs either so it wouldn't really be saving us money.

The new alcohol option throws a wrinkle into it. I could definitely see getting more value out of it now with the drinks. We wouldn't typically do that, but even some of the specialty shakes can be pretty pricey. I might need to revisit the calculations.

For what it's worth, I think the linked article would be improved by incorporating the new information. It links to it, but the prices aren't current and there really isn't discussion of them. Looks like the article is about a year old, which I guess explains it. Either way, I'm not sure it does enough to answer the question it poses.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:25 PM   #13
BayMom
One Bedroom

We did the DDP when my kids were kids, now only 1 kid is a kid, so it's not cost effective.

We are drinkers, so I was curious if we got the dining plan if they would allow my over 9 kid's drink (charged as an adult on the plan) to be used as a 2nd cocktail (or beer or wine) for my husband or myself (yes we typically have 2 drinks with every meal at Disney, and we typically have our kids choose between a sugary drink or a dessert, not both, and they always choose dessert), but unless that is allowed i.e. "use your drink entitlement as a 2nd margarita for mommy please" it's totally not worth it for us.

I have a 10 year old, and paying for her as an adult at Spirit of Aloha (literally she ate 1/2 a portion of rice) kind of killed me. I wish there was a teen/tween option!! Especially for the places where your meal includes alcohol. Oh well..
Old 03-08-2018, 07:00 PM   #14
Nickys
Grand Villa

On our last trip, we had a multi split stay.

We got the DDP for the first part, which spanned 23rd to 26th of December. We had 3 buffets (dinner and breakfast), a BOG breakfast and got the mugs which were good for the whole 2 weeks. We planned the meals first, then did the math on it.

It worked for us for those 4 days (3 nights). We considered it for the New Year weekend, but it didn't work with the plans we had.

Our only previous experience of it was with "free dining" on a UK package stay, in our pre-DVC days. We didn't use all the TS credits and had lots of snack credits left over too.
Nickys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:40 PM   #15
MagicAllAroundUs
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMom View Post
We are drinkers, so I was curious if we got the dining plan if they would allow my over 9 kid's drink (charged as an adult on the plan) to be used as a 2nd cocktail (or beer or wine) for my husband or myself (yes we typically have 2 drinks with every meal at Disney, and we typically have our kids choose between a sugary drink or a dessert, not both, and they always choose dessert), but unless that is allowed i.e. "use your drink entitlement as a 2nd margarita for mommy please" it's totally not worth it for us.
I also don't think that 10 year olds should have to pay the same as an adult. At the very least they should start charging that for 13 year olds and up.

Also, I've always wondered the same about the alcohol entitlement.

1990, 1992, 1994, 1998, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017

Home Resorts: BWV, BCV, AKV, SSR, BLT, PVB
MagicAllAroundUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:02 PM   #16
Sephorin
Two Bedroom

We tend to do a lot of cooking in our room and do not eat out very much (maybe two or three evenings). I know I keep saying this, but it is a great way to save money!
Sephorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:38 PM   #17
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Tables in Wonderland for me. Almost solely table service and frequently a couple appetizers rather than an entree. The alcoholic beverage change does bring a dining plan closer to consideration, but still like being able to eat exactly what I please.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote