home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tips and Tricks for First-Timers and Fanatics
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-23-2018, 12:56 PM   #21
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
Love split stays but $5 per bag sounds crazy to me. Perhaps a poll is in order to see what people really do around here. I don't want to shortchange anybody but not sure I can pay 30 bucks for that each time the bags are shuffled
Love that - bell service says it's $5 per bag. Lol.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:12 PM   #22
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Love split stays but $5 per bag sounds crazy to me. Perhaps a poll is in order to see what people really do around here. I don't want to shortchange anybody but not sure I can pay 30 bucks for that each time the bags are shuffled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc View Post
We like split stays at 3 to 4 night runs so we have a new room and fresh room with different (2 in 1 ) vacations; we only do one transfer on a 8 day visit. Maybe I am cheap, but we tend to do $3/bag or max @ $20 per transfer for bell services tip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
Love that - bell service says it's $5 per bag. Lol.
Not to lose focus on the split stay aspect of the article, and in all fairness the writer is just the messenger, but I have to agree $5.00 per bag sounds pretty high. I can have 8 - 12 bags on a trip for 12 bags that would = $60 tip for spending 15 min walking with a luggage cart from the lobby to my room.

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Sunday, 07/01/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI
Saturday, 10/27/18 - Saturday, 11/10/18 - SSR
(Running 10K w/BFF - 11/03/18)

cmrdgrs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #23
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

We tip about $2 per bag whenever we use BS.

We mostly book our splits online as splits, waiting for 7 month window to open for second part. I prefer to book myself online as a split so as not to have any mess ups with MS person (have had a few mess ups dealing with MS, sadly). I prefer to have control over booking as much as possible. Though yesterday I had a great MS person, Ginger, who gave me her extension so I will be calling her when i need to call. I had one hot mess of a resie I needed to change and a hot mess of points and she knew exactly what to do.

Owners since 2006 at OKW, HHI, BWV & CCV
LAURA's next trip(s):
Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS, Jan 18-21 HHI, March 2-9 AKV/BLT, May 25-28 HHI and Sept 28- Oct 4 at BWV
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:32 PM   #24
AlwaysDreamingDisney
Grand Villa

Weíve done split stays a few times and found them to be good for many of the reasons listed - new resort= new vacation, new scenery, different feel or vibe.

Since we are very light packers anyway we donít have too many bags. Weíve found the most efficient way to move is pack our bags and call a taxi. With 5 of us we need a larger taxi to begin with so we may need to wait a few extra minutes. If I recall it cost us $24-$30 dollars for the taxi a few years ago. Take the bags & taxi to the new resort and drop the bags at their bell services - along with anything that needs to kept cold.

Head to a park for the day and have fun. When return we pick up the bags - assuming the room is ready and schlep all of our gear to the room. With 2 teen boys itís quick and easy and all done in one trip. Tip only for them storing the bags and no hassles.

Using Uber or Lyft may be cheaper than what we paid a few years ago but they werenít on the radar then.

Oh, and to AJC I thought I read thatís the Minnie Vans can accommodate ECVs. Might be worth trying it out!

Now all of my kids are "Disney Adults"

Proud owner at VWL

Had owned at VGC, SSR and OKW too. Sad to see those points go but moving very close to the Mouse!!!
AlwaysDreamingDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:37 PM   #25
ajc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysDreamingDisney View Post
Weíve done split stays a few times and found them to be good for many of the reasons listed - new resort= new vacation, new scenery, different feel or vibe.

Since we are very light packers anyway we donít have too many bags. Weíve found the most efficient way to move is pack our bags and call a taxi. With 5 of us we need a larger taxi to begin with so we may need to wait a few extra minutes. If I recall it cost us $24-$30 dollars for the taxi a few years ago. Take the bags & taxi to the new resort and drop the bags at their bell services - along with anything that needs to kept cold.

Head to a park for the day and have fun. When return we pick up the bags - assuming the room is ready and schlep all of our gear to the room. With 2 teen boys itís quick and easy and all done in one trip. Tip only for them storing the bags and no hassles.

Using Uber or Lyft may be cheaper than what we paid a few years ago but they werenít on the radar then.

Oh, and to AJC I thought I read thatís the Minnie Vans can accommodate ECVs. Might be worth trying it out!
So Minnie Vans do resort to resort transfers?
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:39 PM   #26
ajc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
Not to lose focus on the split stay aspect of the article, and in all fairness the writer is just the messenger, but I have to agree $5.00 per bag sounds pretty high. I can have 8 - 12 bags on a trip for 12 bags that would = $60 tip for spending 15 min walking with a luggage cart from the lobby to my room.
a tip is not mandatory but I always tip so my luggage doesn't get gorilla service (or at least I think it helps on transfer )
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:17 PM   #27
DeniseKayC
Two Bedroom

Quote:
I tip $1-2 per bag, rounding up to the nearest $5 mark. For example, for 5 bags, I would generally tip $10, for 7 bags I would tip $15.
DeniseKayC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:49 PM   #28
Dana
Grand Villa

The main reason to do a split stay is to experience every resort so you know where you want to buy DVC points next . However, learned our lesson - never split stay for just 1 night, you will not enjoy the resort like you should if you stayed longer.

The 2nd reason to do a split stay is to be close to different places at different times and minimizing travel, such as staying near certain parks or near Disney Springs.

The 3rd reason to do a split stay is to save points or get the place you want at 7 months for the time it is available. Or, like we do sometimes, when we decide at the last minute to add onto our stay, either before or after our current reservation.

We always use bell services and tip the normal amount. Last trip we had 3 transfers and about 20 bags each time. So 3 times leaving a resort x 3 times getting our bags at the next resort + checking our bags at the resort when leaving is a lot of times to tip. Using bell services certainly makes everything more convenient for us as rope droppers/park commandos.

We typically do split stays, but our next vacation we have booked 12 nights in 1 location, and I'm concerned that we won't like it after being used to split stays, especially if staying longer than 1 week.
Dana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:02 PM   #29
cpnkirk
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc View Post
Might be cheaper, too.
I guess I need to get the UBER app (as we push into our 60's technology sees more complicating - add in that Hubby is in an ECV and the UBER gets more limiting, pricey, or we travel separately to resort.
Any suggestions for ECV transfer MO's?
We used the minnie van service - $20 flat rate, but you do have to request the type that has a lift to carry the ECV. Ask the front desk or guest services at a park to call for that one, I don't think you can do it through the lyft app yet.
March 2014, off site

cpnkirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:04 PM   #30
pdude81
Grand Villa

Thanks all for the ranges on your tipping. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. At least not in this particular regard
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote