home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tips and Tricks for First-Timers and Fanatics
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-24-2018, 10:14 AM   #31
Jedimom3
Two Bedroom

We've done so many character meals over the years, with many great meals and interactions. One summer trip, we did 5 in a row....FIVE....by the end of the week, I was like 'omg, here they come again, I just wanna eat my meal in peace!!!"

It's hard to say our top 3 only because some were good when kids were younger, vs some just being good no matter what age.

I think our favorites for food would be Tusker House, great character interaction

Akershus....yes we actually like the crazy cold fish and weird cheese buffet at Akershus, plus princesses are great there.

Chef Mickey---worst food of all our buffet, BUT the BEST character interaction of all. It was fun

Crystal Palace and 1900 Park Faire were also fun when we did them, and food was good enough, standard buffet food.

Hollywood and Vine--DH and kids loved it, I've gotten sick both times....

Garden Grill--fun, but again, I got sick....maybe I just need to avoid buffets....

Never done any breakfast buffets, except the one Star wars weekend one at Sci Fi. I sure hope they bring back a Star wars character meal. that was awesome!

Fave then would be Tusker, Akershus, and any one of the others depending on which characters you want to meet, as all others food is just standard, not bad, but nothing special

(non character buffets tho--Boma and Cape May are our faves...and O'hana!)

Last edited by Jedimom3; 02-24-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:15 PM   #32
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Oh, Norway was quite scenic. Particularly the busload of young ladies descending on Oslo for a bachelorette party. Both mrs. brp and I like blondes

Cheers.

Sounds absolutely spectacular.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:23 PM   #33
cornbread4
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimom3 View Post
Garden Grill--fun, but again, I got sick....maybe I just need to avoid buffets....
Is Garden Grill sometimes a buffet? I have often have bad luck with buffets too . We've only been there one time for dinner and it was a set-course meal (no choices).
cornbread4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:44 PM   #34
MagicAllAroundUs
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbread4 View Post
Is Garden Grill sometimes a buffet? I have often have bad luck with buffets too . We've only been there one time for dinner and it was a set-course meal (no choices).
It’s not a buffet, but it’s a fixed price family style character meal brought to your table. Best character interaction because due to its small size, characters can spend extra time with you. We have had Mickey sit down at our table for a little bit and usually meet each character two or three times.

1990, 1992, 1994, 1998, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017

Home Resorts: BWV, BCV, AKV, SSR, BLT, PVB
MagicAllAroundUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:47 PM   #35
cornbread4
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicAllAroundUs View Post
Its not a buffet, but its a fixed price family style character meal brought to your table. Best character interaction because due to its small size, characters can spend extra time with you. We have had Mickey sit down at our table for a little bit and usually meet each character two or three times.
ah- good. We thought it was the best character meal of all the ones we did. Like you, long interactions, and seemed less rushed, and the food was great. But that would depend on the menu each time.
cornbread4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:51 PM   #36
MagicAllAroundUs
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbread4 View Post
ah- good. We thought it was the best character meal of all the ones we did. Like you, long interactions, and seemed less rushed, and the food was great. But that would depend on the menu each time.
Weve dined there three times; once on every October/November visit for the past three years and the food has been the same each time. Not sure if that was the case due to us going at the same time of year each time..

1990, 1992, 1994, 1998, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017

Home Resorts: BWV, BCV, AKV, SSR, BLT, PVB
MagicAllAroundUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:58 AM   #37
rachstar
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Haven't tried them all but a small review...

Our favorite is Cinderella's Royal Table, such a great experience dining in the Castle!

Garden Grill is a great place to have breakfast, we love to see Chip n Dale along with Mickey and Pluto.

Ohana is a must if you love Stitch!

Others we have been to are Akershus, BOG (not exactly a character meal but you do get to meet Beast), & Tusker House.

??? 10/2018

POP 5/24/18-5/28/18
POP 2/24/18-3/3/18
ASM 2/23/18-2/24/18
POFQ 5/2017
OKW 9/2016
CBR 9/2016
CSR 3/2016
POR 3/2013
ASM 4/2008
rachstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:34 PM   #38
jedwards
Add-on Aficionado

We love 1900 Park Fare dinner. It is a ton of fun with the stepsisters and good food. We loved the food at Ohana breakfast as well. For character interaction nothing beats Chef Mickeys breakfast (food is just regular breakfast food)

Our very worst experience was at Crystal Palace, that was a one and done for us.
jedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:21 PM   #39
K&P
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

We just got back from our first Disney trip with children. So our experience with character meals is limited. Prior to having little ones with us we focused more on quick small meals that got us back onto rides quickly.

As far as character meals we did Chef Mickeys and Tusker House on our trip.
We did both at breakfast time.

The quality of Chef Mickeys food was slightly below par, I think they benefited from it being breakfast food which is pretty easy to do an average job at. The interaction was awesome though! Our 3 year old loved waving his napkin with the characters!

Tusker House has some great food and a wonderful variety. The character interaction was top notch too. Watching our three year old follow Minnie with a shaker and dancing around the room was very cute!

I guess we did do a character meal without kids years back. We were at either the Swan or Dolphin for breakfast and Chip n Dale and Pluto were there. It was us and two other families so we had tons of interactions as the characters kept coming back. Chip n Dale sat at our table for a while and one of the two of them basically offered to take care of my pregnant wife! They were hilarious!
K&P is offline   Reply With Quote