home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tours and Events
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-04-2018, 01:44 AM   #11
MickeyMcButterPants
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwdude View Post
I wonder how well it did after being moved over to the sports complex. I had always heard that this event is the one the castmembers dreaded the most, with the most unruly teens, more so than grad nights. Probably because of less chaperones. But I admit I've never been, so it is just what I've heard. The promoters could still make it some unofficial days I guess, like they do with gay days.
CMs use to call it Night of Oy.
They said that there was more stealing in every shop going on then any other night. I guess like you said there they were not being watched by their leaders.
MickeyMcButterPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:37 AM   #12
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWGoof View Post
So sad. Add it to the list of things taken away/missed at Disney. (That list is getting quite long....I'm still not over Off Kilter removal. Still boycotting any replacement as my only way to make a tiny, small stand!!!)
The good news is the band continues and in some ways I think they have gotten better

But overall live entertainment at Disney just keeps getting worse. Epcot Festivals are one of the few bright spots, but otherwise....
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:11 AM   #13
carolina_yankee
Administrator

With the expansion of the Halloween Parties, the Magic Kingdom can't afford to give up more nights to ticketed events, so NoJ was moved.

With the earlier start of Food & Wine, the resorts don't need another special event to fill hotel rooms.

September used to be a dead month. Now, the joint is hopping. NoJ served its purposes and is no longer needed since Disney found other ways to make more money in the same period.

I would agree with the loss of live entertainment argument, except that it was a private ticketed event and not a part of the regular park experience.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:30 AM   #14
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvBound View Post
Glad to see that at least two acts will be heard on the Eat-to-the-Beat concert series. Perhaps this idea will take off and the bands will be sprinkled through the year and across different events?

Who besides Mercy Me? I missed it. and if they ever started publishing the bands earlier (ie, prior to 11 months) we could plan around them.

MY WDW Visits...

1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,
2015, 2016, 2017 (Family)
henrycpa91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:45 AM   #15
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
With the expansion of the Halloween Parties, the Magic Kingdom can't afford to give up more nights to ticketed events, so NoJ was moved.

With the earlier start of Food & Wine, the resorts don't need another special event to fill hotel rooms.

September used to be a dead month. Now, the joint is hopping. NoJ served its purposes and is no longer needed since Disney found other ways to make more money in the same period.

I would agree with the loss of live entertainment argument, except that it was a private ticketed event and not a part of the regular park experience.

Dirk
I wonder if that move hurt attendance or if attendance caused the move.

Oddly I had heard some rumblings about it not coming back, but nothing official. I think it lost its appeal somewhere along the way
Old 05-04-2018, 09:26 AM   #16
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycpa91 View Post
Who besides Mercy Me? I missed it. and if they ever started publishing the bands earlier (ie, prior to 11 months) we could plan around them.
Tauren Wells
Old 05-04-2018, 09:29 AM   #17
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
I wonder if that move hurt attendance or if attendance caused the move.

Oddly I had heard some rumblings about it not coming back, but nothing official. I think it lost its appeal somewhere along the way
Nope....Several reasons.....Increased competition from Universals Event (Disney blinked and caved), Low cost (Low profit) and Disney's massive increase of events and pay events in September.

For Decades, there was nothing offered ever in September offered by Disney.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:10 AM   #18
dantr
One Bedroom

This is sad. I hope they come back with something similar or better.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:42 AM   #19
Alix1912
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwdude View Post
I wonder how well it did after being moved over to the sports complex. I had always heard that this event is the one the castmembers dreaded the most, with the most unruly teens, more so than grad nights. Probably because of less chaperones. But I admit I've never been, so it is just what I've heard. The promoters could still make it some unofficial days I guess, like they do with gay days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMcButterPants View Post
CMs use to call it Night of Oy.
They said that there was more stealing in every shop going on then any other night. I guess like you said there they were not being watched by their leaders.
I did the College Program twice about 2 years apart. (Not going to say when as it dates me badly). However I worked Grad Night and Night of Joy. Both were horrible, but Night of Joy was by far and away the WORST. Both events had kids running wild through the park, rides going down all the time because of kids getting off in the middle and breaking or stealing things, theft, wanton vandalism, there were always at least a few characters that got minor injuries (seriously the Night of Joy I worked someone actually punched Minnie in the stomach). Night of Joy was the worst.

The kids at Night of Joy were an odd mix.....some of them were really awesome and nice, but SOOOOOO many were nasty rude and just plain awful to deal with. It was by far the worst event. Veteran Cast ran from it like the plague which meant almost all the CP's at Magic Kingdom had to work it. Thank GOD (literally) it was only one night.

I am a Christian and I trace my abject hatred of praise bands and Christian Rock to working Night of Joy. Such bad memories.

I, for one, am NOT sad to see it go. It was unnecessarily hard on the cast members and the Park as a whole.
Alix1912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:40 PM   #20
bwvBound
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix1912 View Post
I did the College Program twice about 2 years apart. (Not going to say when as it dates me badly). However I worked Grad Night and Night of Joy. Both were horrible, but Night of Joy was by far and away the WORST. Both events had kids running wild through the park, rides going down all the time because of kids getting off in the middle and breaking or stealing things, theft, wanton vandalism, there were always at least a few characters that got minor injuries (seriously the Night of Joy I worked someone actually punched Minnie in the stomach). Night of Joy was the worst.

The kids at Night of Joy were an odd mix.....some of them were really awesome and nice, but SOOOOOO many were nasty rude and just plain awful to deal with. It was by far the worst event. Veteran Cast ran from it like the plague which meant almost all the CP's at Magic Kingdom had to work it. Thank GOD (literally) it was only one night.
How very sad to read this. Such a disappointing commentary on attendee behavior differing so widely from what one wants to expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix1912 View Post
I am a Christian and I trace my abject hatred of praise bands and Christian Rock to working Night of Joy. Such bad memories.
"How interesting!" as one of my mentors would say. While I still favor the old hymns I'm beginning to tolerate praise bands. At this point, one can't seem to escape being run over by Hillsong everywhere. I'm not entirely keen ... but do find myself singing along on several HS tunes now. I'm adapting!
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote