home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tours and Events
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: I recommend:
the MK specialty fireworks cruise without sound 0 0%
the MK specialty fireworks cruise with sound 10 45.45%
the Epcot Illuminations fireworks cruise 7 31.82%
Not doing any of the cruises 5 22.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2018, 02:11 PM   #1
lovindisney
Add-on Aficionado

Default Worth it or not? - Specialty fireworks cruises

I am considering a specialty fireworks cruise. Any feedback to help me make my decision is appreciated!

Thanks!
lovindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:22 PM   #2
avsheffi
Grand Villa

It may not be fair for me to answer because we don't do fireworks at all. My son has autism and sensory issues so fireworks freak him out. We always try to either leave the park before fireworks or be inside somewhere (Philharmagic anyone?) so he can't hear them. We've also tried soundproof headphones but just the sight of them can upset him.

On a completely different note, we did do a fishing excursion last year that went into Epcot's lagoon prior to the park opening. It was WAY cool.

avsheffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:33 PM   #3
Quellman
Grand Villa

We have only done the EPCOT one, and even that was about 5 years ago.
We arrived at the boat dock at Yacht Club and checked in. Once loaded onto our pontoon we headed towards Hollywood Studios, and then cruised back to EPCOT. During the trip the captain pointed out some sights and shared some facts. There were blankets and snacks for us to enjoy as well.
The location is just past the bridge from the U.K. to the first Island on the way to France. The location is nice enough. Some of the full lagoon effects (like perimeter shots and the countries lighting up is missed due to the low vantage point and that most of the UK is to your left. I think the view is this. You are tied up alongside other boats there for the evening, so if you are looking for a super quiet private place, this isn't the case, plus everyone on the bridge looks at your enviously as you pull up and enjoy the show while they have been camped out for an hour. After the cruise, you just head on back to the marina. You may tip your captain if you wish and you are free to go.

The more people in your group, the better the 'value' of the cruise in terms of price per person. We did it with 6. We also experienced it during the holiday time when they added on the Holiday Finale, which was also nice.

It was a special trip, and certainly not one we would do often. Don't regret it at all, especially with the extra fireworks. Would be great for new years eve fireworks! And unless I am mistaken, then there was a Dvc discount offered as well.
2002 DLHotel, 2010 SSR, 2011 SSR, 2012 DCL Magic, DLParis, BLT, 2013 VB, 2014 DCl Fantasy, BLT 2015 POP, BLT 2016 DCL Dream B2B, BLT 2017 PVB, DCL Fantasy(B2B), YC, BLT 2018 DCL Dream, POFQ, BLT
Quellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:33 PM   #4
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

MK with sound
Old 06-26-2018, 02:34 PM   #5
lovindisney
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsheffi View Post
It may not be fair for me to answer because we don't do fireworks at all. My son has autism and sensory issues so fireworks freak him out. We always try to either leave the park before fireworks or be inside somewhere (Philharmagic anyone?) so he can't hear them. We've also tried soundproof headphones but just the sight of them can upset him.

On a completely different note, we did do a fishing excursion last year that went into Epcot's lagoon prior to the park opening. It was WAY cool.
Thank you for your reply. I am sorry about your son. My BIL had Autism. He was mostly a non-verbal savant. It presents many challenges in life. May God Bless you and your son.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:37 PM   #6
lovindisney
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
MK with sound
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quellman View Post
We have only done the EPCOT one, and even that was about 5 years ago.
We arrived at the boat dock at Yacht Club and checked in. Once loaded onto our pontoon we headed towards Hollywood Studios, and then cruised back to EPCOT. During the trip the captain pointed out some sights and shared some facts. There were blankets and snacks for us to enjoy as well.
The location is just past the bridge from the U.K. to the first Island on the way to France. The location is nice enough. Some of the full lagoon effects (like perimeter shots and the countries lighting up is missed due to the low vantage point and that most of the UK is to your left. I think the view is this. You are tied up alongside other boats there for the evening, so if you are looking for a super quiet private place, this isn't the case, plus everyone on the bridge looks at your enviously as you pull up and enjoy the show while they have been camped out for an hour. After the cruise, you just head on back to the marina. You may tip your captain if you wish and you are free to go.

The more people in your group, the better the 'value' of the cruise in terms of price per person. We did it with 6. We also experienced it during the holiday time when they added on the Holiday Finale, which was also nice.

It was a special trip, and certainly not one we would do often. Don't regret it at all, especially with the extra fireworks. Would be great for new years eve fireworks! And unless I am mistaken, then there was a Dvc discount offered as well.

I figured for Epcot I could get away without the added cost of sound, but for MK I would need sound. I am looking at Dec, so I was wondering if it may be a bit cold for MK?
Old 06-26-2018, 02:43 PM   #7
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovindisney View Post
I figured for Epcot I could get away without the added cost of sound, but for MK I would need sound. I am looking at Dec, so I was wondering if it may be a bit cold for MK?

We did it twice....once in October, once in December. The Captain's will try to keep everyone warm as possible. Obviously dress warm for being on the boat in December. We also had some catered items on the boats to make the night more enjoyable, like hot chocolate and cupcakes.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:44 PM   #8
lovindisney
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quellman View Post

Would be great for new years eve fireworks! And unless I am mistaken, then there was a Dvc discount offered as well.
Unfortunately, they don't run the 30th and the 31st. You do get a 10% discount.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:45 PM   #9
lovindisney
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
We did it twice....once in October, once in December. The Captain's will try to keep everyone warm as possible. Obviously dress warm for being on the boat in December. We also had some catered items on the boats to make the night more enjoyable, like hot chocolate and cupcakes.
I thought you were going to mention other forms of liquid warmth!
Old 06-26-2018, 03:12 PM   #10
Rigby
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovindisney View Post
I am considering a specialty fireworks cruise. Any feedback to help me make my decision is appreciated!

Thanks!
We did the MK cruise leaving from the Grand Floridian for my wife's 40th birthday and it's up there with her favorite Disney memories. We had champagne, a happy birthday banner and balloons, and an awesome captain. I couldn't recommend it more!