home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tours and Events
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-07-2018, 06:03 PM   #1
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Default Candelight Processional dinner package- yes or no?

See the narrators listed and Pat Sajak is when we are there and already have a La Hacienda ADR. Wonder if I should try to book a CP package or just stand right outside pavilion to watch like we do with Eat to the Beat. I looked at last year's pricing and La Hacienda was highest and that seems odd. It was $80 and we have 4 adults. We would need to make earlier ADR. I could switch to a cheaper meal. Has to be dinner as we have 1900 PF brunch that day. Or just keep regular La hacienda ADR (8:15 so we can see Illuminations from table which would be missed if we did the CP package) and pop in back to watch CP at 6:45.

Owners since 2006 at OKW, HHI, BWV & CCV
LAURA's next trip(s):
2019- Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS, Jan 18-21 HHI, March 2-9 AKV/BLT and May 25-28 HHI
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:11 PM   #2
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

If you have 4 adults odds are good that at least one will balk at standing there for 45 minutes, even assuming you can find a spot for all 4 of you. And they would probably be even less excited about waiting an hour plus in the standby line (less time and you may not get in). My recommendation: get a CP package unless all of you agree to do otherwise. You probably need to eat anyway...

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:18 PM   #3
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
If you have 4 adults odds are good that at least one will balk at standing there for 45 minutes, even assuming you can find a spot for all 4 of you. And they would probably be even less excited about waiting an hour plus in the standby line (less time and you may not get in). My recommendation: get a CP package unless all of you agree to do otherwise. You probably need to eat anyway...
Well, 2 of the adults are DDs-19 and they likely have zero interest in the CP. Maybe I should ask them. If they want to do it (again...we did it in 2011) I book the CP package and if they don't want to do it, I won't. We have TIW though...so maybe we should stick with regular ADR as I suppose no TIW discount on CP package???

LAURA's next trip(s):
2019- Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS, Jan 18-21 HHI, March 2-9 AKV/BLT and May 25-28 HHI
Old 07-07-2018, 06:30 PM   #4
JudieHopps
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post

We ate a La Hacienda last year with the package and was shocked at the bill.

We will/are going again this year, and will choose a different restaurant for the package.
We do enjoy it.. and enjoy having a guaranteed seat!

Bit of a side bar....We are traveling with my in laws this year and are worried about them waiting in the line for 45+ minutes even still with the package with their health issues.
They will refuse a scooter and not sure if DAS is helpful in this situation.
Still working on that part of the equation.
JudieHopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:45 PM   #5
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Worthwhile for me, I go multiple times each year.

However, even I have to say its only worth doing if all members of your party have a desire to do so. If there are concerns about complaints or waiting or missing Illuminations, Id say no.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:33 PM   #6
MamaB24
Two Bedroom

We've only been once, and we dined at Chefs de France. Spendy? Yes. However, we were going to eat anyway as someone mentioned above...and the biggest benefit was walking straight in to our seats after seeing the ridiculously long standby line. (We had a line too, but by the time queued up, the wait was minimal.)

We plan on a repeat this year...going to try a different restaurant.

OKW since 2016
"Tricky fish! Tricky fish!"
MamaB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:39 PM   #7
Jillt2ph
One Bedroom

You can always book the package for 2 and a normal ADR for 2. We had to do that last year at Chefs de France. I called the dining number to see how we should book so we could eat together and that is what the CM told us to do. Or if you are worried about getting a table for 4, make the normal ADR for 4 since you don't get charges for showing with fewer people, and just let them know you want to sit together.

On another note, I was under the impression there are not many tables at La Hacienda with views of Illuminations, and it is luck of the draw as far as getting one. I have an 8 PM ADR in September and figured I would either miss it or catch the end after dinner. If it weren't for bad luck I would have no luck, so there is no chance of me getting a window table

Member since 2010
Jillt2ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:25 AM   #8
teachmusic
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudieHopps View Post
Bit of a side bar....We are traveling with my in laws this year and are worried about them waiting in the line for 45+ minutes even still with the package with their health issues.
They will refuse a scooter and not sure if DAS is helpful in this situation.
Still working on that part of the equation.
Perhaps it will take getting there and realizing just how much walking is involved for you in-laws to understand the suggestion for a scooter.

Even with the package, you still have to stand in line for 20-45 minutes to enter the pavilion - I hope they take you up on your offer/suggestion.
teachmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:18 AM   #9
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Well DH and one DD said they wouldn't mind seeing the CP but then when I told DH of the details and costs he chose to stick with Hacienda ADR and stand outside at the back of pavilion to catch some of the CP. He poo poo'ed the cost. And told me we would have to also cancel another ADR like Ohana. So when I asked DD I gave her choice: Hacienda for fireworks and Ohana or Coral Reef (my DDs like) with CP seat and no Ohana. She chose Ohana. Boo.

MamaB24...Chefs is actually cheaper than La Hacienda (not much but like $5). La Hacieda is the most expensive one. Based on last year's pricing. Very odd. Coral Reef is $14 cheaper than La Hacienda so I was thinking of going with that one.

LAURA's next trip(s):
Old 07-08-2018, 08:35 AM   #10
reblzmom
Grand Villa

I think it is getting harder to do this without a package. I do not like packages/ dining plans but for this I make an exception. I don't think it is the same experience without being "inside."