home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Latest Disney (non-DVC-related) News & Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-19-2017, 11:59 PM   #141
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne View Post
It's Luke Evans & I agree I thought he was fantastic. I was very skeptical of his casting when I saw it announced but I thought he did an amazing job. He can sing!
I don't know who he is, but it sounds like he did a good job in the role.

Cheers.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:01 AM   #142
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
I don't know who he is, but it sounds like he did a good job in the role.

Cheers.
Luke Evans is "Bard" in the final Hobbit movie. You know, the one who kills Smaug.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:56 AM   #143
lovindisney
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftcoaster View Post
Iger must be furious!
Nah!

AKV, BCV, BLT, SSR & VGF
lovindisney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:20 AM   #144
carolina_yankee
Administrator

All kinds of fun stuff in Disney films that have upset various people and initiated boycotts for various reasons:

Quote:
In 1995, a pro-life lobby group, American Life League (ALL), alleged that several Disney films, including The Rescuers, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin and The Lion King, contained subliminal messages and sexual imagery.[15][16]

Disney's original home video releases of The Rescuers were recalled on January 8, 1999 due to the discovery of two photographs of a topless woman in the background of two frames of the movie.[17] The offending images were removed in later VHS and DVD editions, and the Blu-ray release packed with its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under.

In Who Framed Roger Rabbit with the film's Laserdisc release in 1994, Variety reported that observers uncovered several scenes of subliminal antics from the animators that supposedly featured brief nudity of the Jessica Rabbit character. While undetectable when played at the usual rate of 24 film frames per second, the Laserdisc player allowed the viewer to advance frame-by-frame to uncover these visuals. Whether or not they were actually intended to depict the nudity of the character remains unknown.[18][19] Many retailers said that within minutes of the Laserdisc debut, their entire inventory was sold out. The run was fueled by media reports about the controversy, including stories on CNN and various newspapers.[20] A Disney executive responded to Variety that "people need to get a life than to notice stuff like that. We were never aware of it, it was just a stupid gimmick the animators pulled on us and we didn't notice it. At the same time, people also need to develop a sense of humor with these things."[21] The scene was later re-animated. Another frequently debated scene includes one where Baby Herman extends his middle finger as he passes under a woman's dress and re-emerges with drool on his lip.[19][22]

In The Little Mermaid, King Triton lives in a castle of gold, along with his daughters. The castle is displayed in the artwork for the cover for the Classics VHS cassette when the film was first released on home video in 1990. Close examination of the cover artwork, as well as the poster for the film, shows an oddly shaped structure on the castle, closely resembling a penis. Disney and the cover designer insist it was an accident, resulting from a late night rush job to finish the cover artwork. The questionable object does not appear on the cover of the second releasing of the movie. There was also a widespread rumour in the early to mid-1990s that a clergyman is seen with an erection during a wedding scene, specifically the scene in which a brainwashed Prince Eric is about to marry Ursula the sea witch in disguise.[23][24][25] The clergyman is a short man, dressed in Bishop's clothing, and a small bulge is slightly noticeable in a few of the frames that are actually later shown to be the stubby-legged man's knees, but the image is small and is very difficult to distinguish. Because of the controversy, this scene was later altered in the film's 2006 Platinum Edition DVD release so that the clergyman is standing on a small platform box and that his knee is no longer visible underneath his robes. The combined incidents led an Arkansas woman to file suit against The Walt Disney Company in 1995, though she dropped the suit two months later.[24][25][26][27][28]

In Aladdin, protests were raised regarding the scene when Aladdin is attacked by the tiger Rajah on the palace balcony. Aladdin quietly says "Come on... good kitty, take off and go..." and the word "kitty" is overlapped by another, unidentifiable sound, most probably Rajah's snarl. Some people reported hearing "Good teenagers, take off your clothes,"[29] which they considered a subliminal reference to sexual promiscuity. Because of the controversy, Disney replaced the phrase with "Down, kitty" on the DVD release.[30]

The Lion King allegation was later denied by Tom Sito, a Disney animator and a writer for the film, who claimed that the letters written in the dust cloud actually spelled the initials "S.F.X", meaning 'special effects'; instead, it was interpreted by people who saw the dust message as the word "SEX". It was intended to be an easter egg signature from the animation department, and that the controversy that followed was entirely unintentional.
Meanwhile Disney soars to become one of the most powerful media companies on planet earth.

My own personal boycott of Exxon (hostile lgbt employee policies, most expensive gas in the neighborhood) has simply resulted in them being the 2nd largest company on planet earth (overtaken by Apple) and their CEO becoming Secretary of State (because I'm sure there's a causal connection. ). Boycotts generally don't work unless there is a true moral imperative involved that captures the minds and hearts of vast swaths of people.

Dirk
Old 03-20-2017, 11:57 AM   #145
Jesper
Studio

Quote:
In Who Framed Roger Rabbit with the film's Laserdisc release in 1994, Variety reported that observers uncovered several scenes of subliminal antics from the animators that supposedly featured brief nudity of the Jessica Rabbit character.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:10 PM   #146
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
Luke Evans is "Bard" in the final Hobbit movie. You know, the one who kills Smaug.
Thanks. That puts him in a place and perspective. I liked him in that role.

Cheers.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:59 AM   #147
mustinjourney
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
All kinds of fun stuff in Disney films that have upset various people and initiated boycotts for various reasons:

Meanwhile Disney soars to become one of the most powerful media companies on planet earth.

My own personal boycott of Exxon (hostile lgbt employee policies, most expensive gas in the neighborhood) has simply resulted in them being the 2nd largest company on planet earth (overtaken by Apple) and their CEO becoming Secretary of State (because I'm sure there's a causal connection. ). Boycotts generally don't work unless there is a true moral imperative involved that captures the minds and hearts of vast swaths of people.

Dirk
Off topic. But there's a company in Saudi Arabia that puts both those companies to shame.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:36 AM   #148
Boundin'
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post

Dirk
Your own personal boycott resulted in all that? Wow, now that's power.

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

recent and upcoming
POP! BLT BCV 5/21-5/31/2015
BLT Poly BCV 9/26-10/6/2015
DL 9/10-9/15/2015
BCV NYE! 12/29/2015-1/4/2016
Spring Surprise BWV AKL 5/27-6/5/2016
Universal Hard Rock 9/30-10/4/2016 Halloween Horror Nights!
Poly- DCL Dream -BCV10/14-10/25/16
SSR 4/7-4/11/17
BLT-BWV 5/27-6/4/17
DL and Vegas 9/15-9/25/17
BCV F&W 10/4-10/9/17
BCV NYE 12/28/17-1/3/18

DVC owner The Three B's BCV BWV BLT
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:17 AM   #149
beemertec
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundin' View Post
Your own personal boycott resulted in all that? Wow, now that's power.

beemertec is offline   Reply With Quote