home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Photography and Technology
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-01-2018, 02:19 PM   #31
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
OK. Thatís hard core! I could do small add-on via Resale for the price of that lens! Clearly, it works well . . .

Dirk
Dirk, both Sigma and Tamron coming with native lenses this year for E mount.

My Trip Reports

Photobucket has disabled 3rd party hosting, so none of the photos are visible, will move to some other site soon.

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:14 PM   #32
Doreen1998
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Dvc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJacksFamily View Post
I almost exclusively use zoom lenses so my hand is almost always under the lens to control the zoom. The 100-400gm lens is a bit interesting because it has three additional function buttons on the lens so you need to be somewhat careful not to accidentally hit one of those if they're assigned.

Wow. I would love to have a 100-400 gm for my Sony. I had an 18-105 F4 and just traded it in for an 18-200 f3.5-6.3 oss. When I'm in Disney I was constantly changing between the small lens and the bigger one. I know the f4 was better but I need the one lens in Disney.

Awesome pictures!!
Doreen1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:52 AM   #33
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
Interesting you bought 100-400 GM for a6500 body. Once I was interested in a6500 but ended up second a7rII body as a6500 was full price back then.

How you liking 100-400?
I it a lot, and the 5 axis stabilization is really nice.

My back ground is mostly shooting what I call subject focus photography (as opposed to landscape) such as sports or Wildlife and historically "sports" bodies have been cropped sensors so that is what I am use to. I also like the extra reach of a cropped sensor (my 400 is closer to a 600 on the a6500) I will admit to having a terrible eye for landscape photography and that is really where the FF cameras shine. I am working on it so I try and buy full frame lenses so that if I ever buy a FF body the lenses will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
OK. That’s hard core! I could do small add-on via Resale for the price of that lens! Clearly, it works well . . .
I agree it is not cheap but I tend to buy one lens that I will keep for years so it is a long term purchase (like a DVC). I also had some nice but old canon gear that I traded in on the lens so that helped a lot. Not sure if that is what I would have ended up with if it was all out of pocket at once.

Earlier someone talked about the others brands starting to make native E mounts which I think is great, when I bought this lens you needed to use an adapter which a lot of people do but I am just not a fan.

My first Sony was an a6000 which I still have and I typically put the 16-70 zoom on that body when I am taking out the 400. I try and avoid changing lenses in the field since the mirrorless do not have a mirror to protect the sensor. I will say that I have not had an issue with dust on the sensor but I just worry about it.

Last edited by carolina_yankee; 04-02-2018 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.
CaptJacksFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:38 AM   #34
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJacksFamily View Post
I it a lot, and the 5 axis stabilization is really nice.

My back ground is mostly shooting what I call subject focus photography (as opposed to landscape) such as sports or Wildlife and historically "sports" bodies have been cropped sensors so that is what I am use to. I also like the extra reach of a cropped sensor (my 400 is closer to a 600 on the a6500) I will admit to having a terrible eye for landscape photography and that is really where the FF cameras shine. I am working on it so I try and buy full frame lenses so that if I ever buy a FF body the lenses will work.

I agree it is not cheap but I tend to buy one lens that I will keep for years so it is a long term purchase (like a DVC). I also had some nice but old canon gear that I traded in on the lens so that helped a lot. Not sure if that is what I would have ended up with if it was all out of pocket at once.

Earlier someone talked about the others brands starting to make native E mounts which I think is great, when I bought this lens you needed to use an adapter which a lot of people do but I am just not a fan.

My first Sony was an a6000 which I still have and I typically put the 16-70 zoom on that body when I am taking out the 400. I try and avoid changing lenses in the field since the mirrorless do not have a mirror to protect the sensor. I will say that I have not had an issue with dust on the sensor but I just worry about it.
I've gotten dust on my sensor with my Canon dSLR. Fortunately, the Canon service center is 25 minutes away so I could drop it off and then pick it up four hours later. With Sony, I'll have to find other options.

Generally, I practice good lens-change-hygiene, though, so it hasn't happened often.

I'm more interested in landscape and street, so the telephoto zooms are only for special occasions for me. For now, I'll be happy with Sony's 55-200. Even in my Canon days, my 70-300 was just fine for 5 day safari I was on in South Africa, so the extra reach of the 400 would be too rarely used to justify the price.

And, I'll never make money off my photography, so I need the best lenses a hobbyist on a budget can justify!

Still, congrats on the African Dog pic - they are so rarely accessible for the camera to begin with, and you got him good and sharp. I managed to do that with the Cheetahs just once on countless safaris over 15 years at AK!

Dirk