home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 04-16-2018, 11:33 PM   #31
MMC1
Grand Villa
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,525
Default

Southwest currently has an Exclusive Promotion for their Rapid Reward Members for double points called "National Double Points." It will pop up only if you search your account, trips, etc after logging in. You will see a small 1 in the box alerting you to the promotion. I have never heard of this promotion before and just happened to find it.

Register online Book & Fly between 4/6/18 - 6/13/18
12 Bonus points per dollar on Business Select
10 Anytime Fare
6 in Wanna Getaway Fares
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:50 PM   #32
JCinWonderland
Studio
 
JCinWonderland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC1 View Post
Southwest currently has an Exclusive Promotion for their Rapid Reward Members for double points called "National Double Points." It will pop up only if you search your account, trips, etc after logging in. You will see a small 1 in the box alerting you to the promotion. I have never heard of this promotion before and just happened to find it.

Register online Book & Fly between 4/6/18 - 6/13/18
12 Bonus points per dollar on Business Select
10 Anytime Fare
6 in Wanna Getaway Fares
Thanks for pointing out this double points offer!
JCinWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:43 AM   #33
susieh
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 14
Default

Coming to WDW from the UK means we can't do much to save. We paid $1000 per person for flights (UK Travel Tax is HIGH!), we can't bring food (but we do visit Walmart as soon as we arrive) and we can't bring our own car (but we do hire the smallest we can fit in). But we can get good tickets. We can get a 14 day unlimited entry to all Disney parks (including water parks) with unlimited park hopping for about $500 each and it includes memory maker too.

I know that's a lot more than many of you pay for tickets but if you are staying for 2 weeks and only able to come to WDW once every 2-3 years then you want to make the most of it.
susieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:20 AM   #34
Jillybean315
Studio
 
Jillybean315's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: North-Central Texas
Posts: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAM4DVC View Post
Ok, I've got to ask!!! How they heck do you find decent fares on SW?! We are flying out of Love Field and their airfares are always higher than American!!! When people are talking about the great SW rates, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong!!!

In fact, I just looked at a possible mid-June trip to WDW for DH, DS19 and myself. SW was $300 more than American!!

Help!!!! Teach me your ways!!
We fly out of Love Field as well. You need to be sure to check rates during promotions for sure, but you cannot wait to book SW. You have to get your tickets as soon as you book your WDW trip (usually 6 months out). You take the "Wanna Get Away" rate. (Remember you need to also account for the fact that SW allows each traveler the carry on, personal item, and 2 checked bags- American charges for the checked bags.) This is really the only way that SW is significantly cheaper than American.

Also, you really should look into the SW Chase Visa card. We use ours to pay for groceries, gas, etc. We pay the bill in full at the end of every month, so we don't pay interest. For every dollar you spend, you earn at least 1 point to fly with, plus they give you several thousand points for getting the card.
__________________










Disney Trips:
POR-Riverside: June, 2011
Off Proprety: June, 2012
All Star Movies: December, 2012
All Star Sports: June, 2013
Wilderness Lodge: June, 2013
Coronado Springs: December, 2013
Coronado Springs: December, 2014
Boardwalk Villas: January, 2016
Beach Club Villas: September, 2016
POR-Riverside: October, 2016
Upcoming Trips:
Polynesian Villas:June, 2017 (Split Stay)
Bay Lake Tower: June, 2017 (Split Stay)
Old Key West: January, 2018



(Me) (DH) (DS age 13) (DD age 10)

Jillybean315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:43 PM   #35
RweTHEREyet
Add-on Aficionado
 
RweTHEREyet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC; OKW; BCV; SSR; BLT; VGC; VGF
Posts: 6,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
Please donít think I was making a judgement. I think itís great that you can vacation that way. I just find as I get older that I place a higher premium on convenience than almost anything else while on vacation. Just the mindset that the Mouse loves! I really should learn to be more cost conscious, but I will inevitably be distracted by something shined, and all of my good intentions go right out the window.
I am in the same mind set as you.
__________________
RweTHEREyet?









RweTHEREyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:44 PM   #36
BEAM4DVC
One Bedroom
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillybean315 View Post
We fly out of Love Field as well. You need to be sure to check rates during promotions for sure, but you cannot wait to book SW. You have to get your tickets as soon as you book your WDW trip (usually 6 months out). You take the "Wanna Get Away" rate. (Remember you need to also account for the fact that SW allows each traveler the carry on, personal item, and 2 checked bags- American charges for the checked bags.) This is really the only way that SW is significantly cheaper than American.

Also, you really should look into the SW Chase Visa card. We use ours to pay for groceries, gas, etc. We pay the bill in full at the end of every month, so we don't pay interest. For every dollar you spend, you earn at least 1 point to fly with, plus they give you several thousand points for getting the card.
Thanks for the info. I've checked SW for years - literally! - and have yet to ever find a fare that beats American. Even their WGA fares aren't less. (We refused to fly them when the Wright Amendment was in place because I certainly didn't feel the need to delay my arrival to WDW!!!)

Because of my husband's status with American our checked bags are free so I don't enter that cost into my equation; I'm simply looking at airfare. I'll continue to check SW, but I'm not hopeful.

I appreciate everyone's input on this though because it never made sense to me!
BEAM4DVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:59 PM   #37
BEAM4DVC
One Bedroom
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 203
Default

Another thought on airfare and overall costs for WDW....

I tend to amortize the cost of airfare over the length of our stay. If we are going for 2 weeks, then a higher airfare seems less painful compared to the quick "need a break from real life, so we're going to enjoy the bubble of WDW for 4 or 5 days" trip.

Most of the time we tend to throw caution to the wind for our time at Disney World. We plan our dining, touring, entertainment, etc. around what we want to do and figure it's our vacation and we want to enjoy it. However, we have taken trips to the World and been more frugal about where we ate and what we did.

Fact is - I think we all believe that the more time we spend at WDW, regardless of how we get there, what we do there, and where we eat, is always better than being at work or at home!
BEAM4DVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #38
DisneyEater
Grand Villa
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 2,384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieh View Post
Coming to WDW from the UK means we can't do much to save. We paid $1000 per person for flights (UK Travel Tax is HIGH!), we can't bring food (but we do visit Walmart as soon as we arrive) and we can't bring our own car (but we do hire the smallest we can fit in). But we can get good tickets. We can get a 14 day unlimited entry to all Disney parks (including water parks) with unlimited park hopping for about $500 each and it includes memory maker too.

I know that's a lot more than many of you pay for tickets but if you are staying for 2 weeks and only able to come to WDW once every 2-3 years then you want to make the most of it.
It's more difficult in the UK, but you could still earn FF miles to use for the flights (although the taxes will still be high). If you are only doing Disney there really isn't a need to rent a car. A couple of ways to save.
__________________
DisneyEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:11 PM   #39
JCinWonderland
Studio
 
JCinWonderland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieh View Post
Coming to WDW from the UK means we can't do much to save. We paid $1000 per person for flights (UK Travel Tax is HIGH!), we can't bring food (but we do visit Walmart as soon as we arrive) and we can't bring our own car (but we do hire the smallest we can fit in). But we can get good tickets. We can get a 14 day unlimited entry to all Disney parks (including water parks) with unlimited park hopping for about $500 each and it includes memory maker too.

I know that's a lot more than many of you pay for tickets but if you are staying for 2 weeks and only able to come to WDW once every 2-3 years then you want to make the most of it.
I think $500 per person for 14 day Park Hopper Plus passes sounds like a heck of a deal! I don't think we here in the US could get as good of a deal as you.
JCinWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:44 AM.

© MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software