home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-13-2017, 10:13 AM   #1
Rocket Supply
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default advantage to renting through Owner vs 2nd Party

I would say 99 percent of the time there is not much of a difference. When you add Irma into to picture there is a huge difference. The direct communication with the owner was key to moving around our dates and securing the proper reservations. We had our vacation days move 3 times and each time the owner was able to keep moving reservations, constant checking and calling to DVC until our reservation was back in place.

Full write up will follow after trip, but what could have turned out to a mostly cancelled and offsite reservations has turned back into the trip we were hoping for - ok we still need the final day for our 8 days, but we got back 7 straight days at Poly! We leave on Friday!

We close in December for 150 points and we learned a bunch from this experience. Continual checking and a bit of luck is what was needed.
Rocket Supply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:25 AM   #2
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

I will half agree, half disagree.....

Not all owners who rent are on top of making your reservations and Disney trip happen. Personally, I go out of my way to secure your reservation and make everything go smooth as possible. Their are owners who are hard to get a hold of to make a change or don't want to be bothered after the first deal is done.

I am glad your rental experience has been stellar!

And an early.............Welcome Home!
Old 09-13-2017, 10:39 AM   #3
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Agree with Tom's comments. So glad that your rental experience was top notch with the events of Irma. That's great to hear

Congratulation on your purchase of 150 points!

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Monday, 12/25/17 - Tuesday, 12/26/2017 - SSR
Tuesday, 12/26/17 - Saturday, 12/30/17 - BLT
Saturday, 12/30/17 - Sunday, 01/07/18 - VGF (Running 1st 1/2 Marathon - 01/06/18)
Wednesday, 06/27/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:04 AM   #4
cpnkirk
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Supply View Post
I would say 99 percent of the time there is not much of a difference. When you add Irma into to picture there is a huge difference. The direct communication with the owner was key to moving around our dates and securing the proper reservations. We had our vacation days move 3 times and each time the owner was able to keep moving reservations, constant checking and calling to DVC until our reservation was back in place.

Full write up will follow after trip, but what could have turned out to a mostly cancelled and offsite reservations has turned back into the trip we were hoping for - ok we still need the final day for our 8 days, but we got back 7 straight days at Poly! We leave on Friday!

We close in December for 150 points and we learned a bunch from this experience. Continual checking and a bit of luck is what was needed.
I've never rented, but we just purchased our (first) contract this year, and that last sentence is exactly what I've found. We were less than 7 months from the Thanksgiving (apparently VERY busy) time of our trip, but by checking availability constantly and being flexible enough to work with what came available, we've been able to put together a really good trip!

Glad things have worked out well for you.

cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:46 AM   #5
bostonRob
Grand Villa

As an owner I like the protection renting through a 3rd party that I get. Other than that, you can rent direct for a bit more. They both have good points and bad.