home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Latest Disney (non-DVC-related) News & Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-09-2017, 11:13 AM   #11
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Iger mentioned the possibility of offering separate Star Wars and Marvel streaming apps yesterday on CNBC.
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:27 AM   #12
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSULion22 View Post
Iger mentioned the possibility of offering separate Star Wars and Marvel streaming apps yesterday on CNBC.
Then they're going to try and squeeze too much out of it.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:11 PM   #13
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
Then they're going to try and squeeze too much out of it.
I agree.

But the thinking is that consumers want to choose exactly what they are getting, for better or worse. So Disney will explore options like bundling all the content together, and also offering all the content "a la carte", plus combinations of the two, to see what works best. I agree that this push to have all the content "unbundled" is just going to end up in the same place for the consumer, but include less. But it's what people seem to want for some reason I can't understand. In that case, maybe unlinking everything will work out better for Disney in the long run. Just as an example, I don't care about any Disney tv content, except ESPN. I only watch their movies. So I would be happier with the ability to just stream movies and ESPN, even if that meant 2 or more different apps, if it were cheaper than one singular "Disney" service that included everything.
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:21 PM   #14
pdude81
Two Bedroom

They just couldn't place one of the most valuable content libraries in the world in the hands of the biggest player any longer. It would be one thing if Netflix just delivered media to people, but it's wholly another when they produce shows and movies that threaten Disney's cash flow by pulling people away from cable and satellite providers. What Disney has essentially done is created their own version of HBO Go just so they are ready if the bottom drops out of pay TV at an accerlerated pace.

Now if they let me watch any episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse with my son without having to navigate the sea of free/rent/buy crap on Comcast, I will gladly pay for the convenience.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:28 PM   #15
eandjmom
Studio

I'm frustrated by this. We already pay for cable, Netflix and Hulu at my house. It's been so nice and convenient to be able to watch these movies through Netflix. I just don't know if I want to pay for another streaming service each month...
eandjmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:31 PM   #16
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandjmom View Post
I'm frustrated by this. We already pay for cable, Netflix and Hulu at my house. It's been so nice and convenient to be able to watch these movies through Netflix. I just don't know if I want to pay for another streaming service each month...
If your cable company and Disney reach an agreement on this service, you will have access to it as part of you cable package.

JaxFLBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:35 PM   #17
eandjmom
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxFLBear View Post
If your cable company and Disney reach an agreement on this service, you will have access to it as part of you cable package.
thanks for clarifying that!
eandjmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:10 PM   #18
cpnkirk
One Bedroom

If you have T-mobile cell service, you may be eligible for free netflix account. They simply changed the billing on my existing netflix account to "tmobile" and so now I don't pay that monthly fee. Frees up the money to pay for the Disney streaming service

cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:18 PM   #19
jay42k
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandjmom View Post
This Exactly!
Old 09-18-2017, 08:56 AM   #20
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSULion22 View Post
He has subsequently said that ALL movies (Disney, Marvel & Star Wars) will be on the same streaming service.

JaxFLBear is offline   Reply With Quote