home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-13-2017, 08:39 PM   #11
Disney54us
Grand Villa

Glad you enjoyed! Sounds very peaceful and scenic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
As I have posed many times over the years, call 10-14 days prior to your trip and make your room request. You will need to call the resort and asl to speak to the room assigner.
I always use to do that, but it was my understanding that even if you call the resort number on your confirmation you are no longer talking to someone in your resort??
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:04 PM   #12
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Nice summary, glad you enjoyed your trip!
Brian5581 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:25 PM   #13
MickeyFan787
Two Bedroom

Nice to see how much you enjoyed one of my favorite places, I think the resort feels full of magic. I agree on pretty much everything you said. The sofabeds are dreadful in Jambo, they sorely need updating. I love the wines in the restaurants and lounges there and I can spend hours watching the animals. Thanks for sharing, and hope your new home is ok.
MickeyFan787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:59 PM   #14
GiantsNiners11
Grand Villa

We also snagged a 1BR value for our 3 night post-cruise trip in April.

Very excited to save the points and still get the washer/dryer and extra space. Wife is very happy after being in a cruise cabin for 7 nights.

Thanks for the TR.
“Too many people grow up. That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up. They forget. They don't remember what it's like to be 12 years old. They patronize, they treat children as inferiors. Well I won't do that.” ~Walt Disney

Me(32) DW(31) DD(3)
GiantsNiners11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:03 PM   #15
starfrenzy
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Excellent! AK has been the number one Disney resort I'd like to try. I am hoping to get a room via DVC rental point soon and take my husband for a weekend away.
starfrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:05 PM   #16
coastak
Grand Villa

Seems like we read this more and more on here. And everyone that says animal kingdom isn't for them has not stayed there before (for the most part)
coastak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:22 AM   #17
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

We have stayed at AKL a couple of times and always love it. No, the location isn't great for most of the parks (and even for AK, you have to bus/drive), but we tend to be drivers to most of the parks anyway, so this is a minimal change for us. With the theming, atmosphere, and 'bang for the buck,' we've always been happy with it. Glad you enjoyed it too!
Old 09-14-2017, 10:18 AM   #18
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

I'll be the odd poster here and say AKV has disappointed. Our first stay, Xmas 2013, was wonderful and I loved the resort. It is beautifully themed. It has great dining venues. It is quiet and removed. It has the animals to watch. And that first trip for us was wonderful with the busing. It was near the top of our preference list...right after BCV and BWV.

Then I stayed there again this May. With my mom. We had lovely Savanna view and the resort still had all the great stuff mentioned above...except....the busing sucked. It was more painfully noticable too, since my mom has standing/walking issues. And we had to stand on packed bus for long long ride a few times that trip. And it was only 4 night trip. It ruined the good feels, for sure.

So we are pretty much BCV and BWV lovers. Still will stay at AKV and, in fact, have stay at Jambo next month. It's nice to get a few days there every once in a while, for all the resort has to offer.

Thanks for the report. Hope you got moved in to the new house without incident and hope it had no hurricane damage.

DVC since 2006- own at OKW, HHI and BWV
LAURA's next trip(s): Dec 30-Jan 4 at OKW/PVB and March 3-10 at BWV
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:29 AM   #19
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrspepe View Post
I am now a converted AKV fan and look forward to future stays! The reduced sq footage of the value unit was never an issue. Understanding that I was lucky to receive my location request, I am a view snob. Next time, I may just go for the Savanna view so not to be disappointed. Wish we had tried it sooner.
This is the only place I "pay' for a view willingly. I will not stay in a value due to the risk of no view nor will I stay if standard view is all that is an option.
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:30 AM   #20
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
Then I stayed there again this May. With my mom. We had lovely Savanna view and the resort still had all the great stuff mentioned above...except....the busing sucked. It was more painfully noticable too, since my mom has standing/walking issues. And we had to stand on packed bus for long long ride a few times that trip. And it was only 4 night trip. It ruined the good feels, for sure.
I think the busing this year in general sucked no matter where we went. Going from AKL Kidani was good for us, but leaving BCV was awful. Some waited almost an hour to get on a bus. It was really bad... we had to stand every single time we rode.