home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Springs
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-28-2018, 05:16 PM   #11
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by capeokw56 View Post
I'm not surprised by this. As a retired LEO I've thought for a long time now that WDW would be a perfect target for a terrorist, domestic or foreign. I know that Disney has taken security measures, some that we can see and some that we can't, but I'm still responsible for my family wherever we are and I'm always aware of our surroundings.

Meanwhile I see others totally oblivious to what's happening around them and I can understand that while we're all inside the Disney "bubble". Unfortunately the fact of the matter is that we all have to be more aware.

Sorry, didn't mean to lecture but this is a topic that is near and dear to me.
TBH some of us just feel that we shouldn't live in fear. I'm not oblivious to life, but I choose not to let lingering fears get in my way, especially on vacation. I also know that the real security goes on in ways we don't see and I'm happy with that. If my time is up, it's up, but I do trust Disney to do some things to keep us safe.

So you might be seeing some like us
Old 03-28-2018, 05:20 PM   #12
capeokw56
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
TBH some of us just feel that we shouldn't live in fear. I'm not oblivious to life, but I choose not to let lingering fears get in my way, especially on vacation. I also know that the real security goes on in ways we don't see and I'm happy with that. If my time is up, it's up, but I do trust Disney to do some things to keep us safe.

So you might be seeing some like us
I absolutely agree that we shouldn't live in fear. I'm relaxed and at ease while I'm at WDW, I'm just advocating that we be aware of our surroundings.
capeokw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:57 PM   #13
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I absolutely agree that we shouldn't live in fear. I'm relaxed and at ease while I'm at WDW, I'm just advocating that we be aware of our surroundings.
Gotcha! I lived in some pretty bad parts of a major city and probably am aware more than some. I'm sure others just aren't even used to the idea of it.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:18 PM   #14
goofy kc
Two Bedroom

I read this soon after the shooting and it spooked me. We don't go to DS very much anymore..
Old 03-28-2018, 07:25 PM   #15
ssdownthehatch
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
I remember this being revealed at the time of the shooting on the Pulse nightclub. I thought I remembered that Mateen scoped out Disney Springs with his wife and child.
You are correct. This is just regurgitation of old news.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:27 PM   #16
ssdownthehatch
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Armed security/police is a deterrent to violence......now there is a thought.

Glad to see that Disney (and Florida) is proactive in protecting its brand, by protecting its guests.
Disney is a high target. As debated in the other thread, that is why they have implemented security checks of hotel rooms. I wouldn't be surprised if Marriott (and others) changes their Do Not Disturb Policy after what was discovered in Massachusettsthis week.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:03 PM   #17
capeokw56
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdownthehatch View Post
Disney is a high target. As debated in the other thread, that is why they have implemented security checks of hotel rooms. I wouldn't be surprised if Marriott (and others) changes their Do Not Disturb Policy after what was discovered in Massachusettsthis week.
I assume you're talking about the incident in Tewksbury?
capeokw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:09 PM   #18
Boundin'
Grand Villa

It was previously reported that he scouted Disney. Now it's been confirmed in court. And there is video of him in DS. His plan was to use a stroller and doll to hide the gun.

Evidence suggests Mateen wavered on his target up to the hours before he struck at Pulse.

Records showed Mateen arrived at Disney Springs about 10 p.m. June 11, 2016. At 10:27 p.m., he searched for “disney springs” while his phone placed him there. Forty minutes later, he searched for “disney world.” Cell towers placed him near Epcot at 12:22 a.m. on June 12.

From there, Mateen searched for “downtown orlando nightclubs.” His Google results showed Pulse and EVE Orlando, a nightclub and lounge on South Orange Avenue, near Pine Street.

He got directions to EVE and drove toward Interstate 4, records show. Mateen was near EVE at 12:55 a.m. but drove away six minutes later. At 1:01 a.m., Mateen searched again for “downtown orlando nightclubs” and got directions to Pulse. He drove south, passing the Orange Avenue club between 1:12 and 1:16 a.m.

He drove around the area south of downtown until 1:33 a.m. and was “in the immediate vicinity of Pulse” when he searched for directions back to EVE. He started driving toward downtown again, then turned around. By 1:37 a.m., he was back at Pulse.

Twenty-five minutes later, he started shooting.

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

Trip reports:
Sun, Sea, and Romance-Once Upon a Fantasy
Mickey's Very Merry Galactic Spectacular AND New Year's Eve 2017-18
The Fall of Disney 2017
A Tale of Two Views 2017
Back in the S.S.R. 2017
Universal Hard Rock- MNSSHP - HHN 2016
Spring Surprise 2016
NYE in the World 2015-16

Coming up...
5/2018 BLT-Fantasy-BWV Eastern Carib *** 9/2018 BLT-Dream-BCV Halloween on the High Seas***10/2018 A Quick Stop at Pop!***BLT-BCV 12/2018 Another New Year ***5/2019 BWV-Fantasy-BLT Western Carib

Home resorts BCV BWV BLT VGC

Last edited by Boundin'; 03-28-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:28 PM   #19
ssdownthehatch
Grand Villa

Quote:
I assume you're talking about the incident in Tewksbury?
Yes. Haven't seen info on how many days they were in the room.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:33 AM   #20
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
I remember this being revealed at the time of the shooting on the Pulse nightclub. I thought I remembered that Mateen scoped out Disney Springs with his wife and child.
I remember that as well. It makes me look around much more carefully at all times in wdw
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote