home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-12-2018, 09:40 AM   #21
Maddismom
One Bedroom

Personal choice really as we haven't used DME on any recent trips since we prefer a grocery stop and to go directly to our room.
We've used both Happy Limo and Tiffany Town Car on several occasions with no issues whatsoever. Our flight has been delayed a couple of times both on the incoming and outbound and they accommodated us with no problem.
The grocery and liquor store stop was great too and driver helped load the bags for us and pulled up to door each time. Nothing but great service! Of course you must be willing to spend $ for a car service but for us, it's worth it!
Maddismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:10 AM   #22
Quellman
Grand Villa

Only used the Magical Express once. And I see why it can be called the Tragical express. The video in the waiting room repeats much too quickly. The bus we were waiting on took 45 minutes to arrive. The waiting area was pretty empty too. The ride was fine and the bus not full.

But when on vacation I would rather be drinking at the pool instead of stranded in the airport.
2002 DLHotel, 2010 SSR, 2011 SSR, 2012 DCL Magic, DLParis, BLT, 2013 VB, 2014 DCl Fantasy, BLT 2015 POP, BLT 2016 DCL Dream B2B, BLT 2017 PVB, DCL Fantasy(B2B), YC, BLT 2018 DCL Dream, POFQ, BLT
Quellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:16 AM   #23
bobbafett
Grand Villa

Used unmagical express once. Late bus. Bell service was going to get me a taxi voucher but bus pulled up at that point. Used it before to get to hotel when it was first offered. I remember it taking forever to get to jambo house.

I used taxi before Uber was available. Every time.. period.

Now I will only use Uber. It's 35 bucks to jambo. Less for closser hotels.

I don't know why anyone would use ME. It is convenient. It is free. But the time waisted is not worth it for me. Especially if it is an overnight trip or short one.
AKL 14, AKL 16, AKL/VWL 16, SS 17, AKL 18, 18. VGF 18, VAK 18.

bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:08 AM   #24
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Iíve really only had the one bad experience with DME, and that was just the crazy long wait. I love the freedom of not dragging my luggage through the airport! We used a car service in April because we started off at the Dolphin and DME wasnít an option. The driver met us at baggage check and helped with the luggage, then took us to our resort. Price wasnít bad. I think it was 60 bucks plus a tip. If we donít use DME, I will probably use them again. If Saturday will be signaling the end of Jersey Week, Iím thinking car service is probably my best bet. DME will be hopping!
Old 07-12-2018, 01:20 PM   #25
BEAM4DVC
One Bedroom

Ah, yes Vacation Transportation can be a challenge!!

Never used DME. Just can't deal with the uncertainty of the wait, the number stops, etc.

We've used Tiffany Towncar for 15 years and have had great experiences. Some drivers are more talkative and friendly and others just drive, but I don't care if they are quiet. We prepay (including the tip), make a grocery stop if we want to, and get to WDW ASAP!!! We are on vacation and we wanted it to start yesterday!! They are always on time - waiting at baggage claim upon arrival and ready and waiting at the resort on departure day.

We have used a Minnie Van several times already and love it!!! That red SUV with white polka dots is the only car DH will get in while on property.

We used Quick Silver car service once and their driver was just plain rude! One and done!

Rented a car twice - hated every moment of that!!! It was a total pain to get the car and drive to WDW. DH is in the car for 2.5 hours commuting every day. The last thing he wants is to get in the car and drive around Disney World!!! Even if we drive to WDW, we don't use our car!!

We've had mishaps with taxis while at Disney too. We can never say "taxi" and "Downtown Disney" in the same sentence around him!!!!

Guess there are so many options out there because we've all had great experiences with some and terrible ones with others!

Regardless of how we get to and around Disney World, we all just want to be there!!!
BEAM4DVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:04 PM   #26
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quellman View Post
Only used the Magical Express once. And I see why it can be called the Tragical express. The video in the waiting room repeats much too quickly. The bus we were waiting on took 45 minutes to arrive. The waiting area was pretty empty too. The ride was fine and the bus not full.

But when on vacation I would rather be drinking at the pool instead of stranded in the airport.
I have parishioners who call it "Magical Express" upon arrival and "Tragical Express" upon departure. Not for the same reasons as you do, though.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:06 PM   #27
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbafett View Post
Used unmagical express once. Late bus. Bell service was going to get me a taxi voucher but bus pulled up at that point. Used it before to get to hotel when it was first offered. I remember it taking forever to get to jambo house.

I used taxi before Uber was available. Every time.. period.

Now I will only use Uber. It's 35 bucks to jambo. Less for closser hotels.

I don't know why anyone would use ME. It is convenient. It is free. But the time waisted is not worth it for me. Especially if it is an overnight trip or short one.
In my experience, one point in favor of Magical Express is luggage handling. I've waited 45 minutes for my damn bags before I could go grab my car at Alamo. Since i'v never waited 45 minutes to leave MCO, I was grumbling about how I could have been on the bus halfway to Disney if not already there at that point. (I have had a record 45 minutes from gate to lobby via DME.)

If you don't check your begs, then you don't have to factor in that time.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:18 PM   #28
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbafett View Post
if you have multiple kids that require car seats, uber is not really possible. At best, they might have one car seat. This is also why the Minnie Vans are nice on property -- they come with up to 2 car seats, which is quite helpful for families of four.

Also -- if you are checking bags and not using DME, then you have to waste time going to baggage claim and then haul your luggage around...again -- if you have kids, this is a huge pain in the ass.

If you don't have kids -- not nearly as big of a deal.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:22 PM   #29
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
In my experience, one point in favor of Magical Express is luggage handling. I've waited 45 minutes for my damn bags before I could go grab my car at Alamo. Since i'v never waited 45 minutes to leave MCO, I was grumbling about how I could have been on the bus halfway to Disney if not already there at that point. (I have had a record 45 minutes from gate to lobby via DME.)

If you don't check your begs, then you don't have to factor in that time.

Dirk
so true about waiting for luggage. Last year I did a solo trip and was going to golf 2 or 3 rounds, so I brought my own clubs. It took 40 minutes for them to come. My regular checked luggage came out pretty quick, but since the clubs come out the oversized baggage area, they were delayed quite a bit. THAT was painful...especially since I already had a tee time scheduled for that day!
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:01 PM   #30
cedel47
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loro View Post
Stick the tags on your bags (if you checked any) to get them to the resort, and take an uber/lyft.
Can this be done? Will Disney still send your checked bags to the resort if you choose not to use the DME bus even though you would have signed up for it?

For example:
I signup for DME for my inbound flight.
Take alternate means (rental, uber/lyft, or car service) to get to the resort and do not sign in for DME.

Does DME still send my luggage to the resort in this scenario? Ideally this is the best approach as you wont have to wait for luggage and wont have to wait for DME bus.

It works for going home I can go down to bell services and have them send my luggage to the airport without using DME.
cedel47 is offline   Reply With Quote