home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-10-2018, 05:45 PM   #21
Jesper
One Bedroom

Something I want to mention before I forget; you get 10% DVC discount on non food items at all the shops at Aulani, and they don't seem to care about direct vs. resale ownership. We only have contracts that were purchased after April 2016 via resale, and thus have no perks.

DVC owners get a different band for the pools compared to hotel guests, and the cashiers asked if we were DVC owners every time we made a purchase. The only two times I was asked to show my membership card was in the gift shop when making a purchase around $100 and when we did the DVC cultural tour. I only have the white digital card, and they were fine with that.

At the DVC cultural tour he said they needed to see the card because renters who rent DVC points get the same wristband.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:52 PM   #22
Jesper
One Bedroom

Thursday was North Shore day. We headed out towards Haleiwa Alii Beach Park in the hope of seeing turtles. Traffic was not bad, and we got up there mid morning. Unfortunately it was raining, and there were not a turtle in sight at the beach park We drove east towards Banzai pipeline in the hope that the rain would stop by the time we got there. That turned out not to be the case, and we decided to drive back to Haleiwa to look at the shops. We had not even parked the car in the public parking lot when the rain stopped

We looked at the different shops located by Matsumoto, and then decided to find some food trucks for lunch. There's 5-7 food trucks located on the outskirts of downtown Haleiwa, and we decided to walk over there instead of taking the car. I really wanted to try Giovanni's shrimp, so Niece 17 and I hiked over to where that truck is located. I'd guess it's somewhere between 1/2 and one mile from downtown Haleiwa. We finally got to the area where that, and several other food trucks were parked only to find a line of at least 60 people in front of Giovanni's. We checked out the other trucks, but decided to just head back to the rest of our group. A couple of people chose food from a truck called Thai Bo (I think), and the rest from No. 7 Japanese Food Truck. I tried the garlic shrimp from Thai Bo. I hope there's better garlic shrimp out there, because they were pretty boring. DD17 got the wings from the same truck and she was disappointed as well.

I tried the poke from No. 7 Japanese Food Truck and it was excellent. DD21, DW and Niece also got food from there and all say it was excellent. We headed back to Matsumoto's for dessert. We had tried the shaved ice at Aulani the days prior, and I was wondering what the big deal was with shaved ice. Well, now I know. It was delicious. Fluffy and tasty. Aoki is located near by, and that is supposed to be really good as well, but we did not try it.

Matsumoto

After lunch we headed south towards the Dole plantation. Our plan was to just make a stop to pick up Dole Whips, but the line was so long that we gave up on that idea, and just wandered around the gift shop and outside. This was one stop I could easily have been without. It was extremely crowded, expensive and about as touristy as you can get.

Pineapple

We headed back to Aulani, picked up more beer on the way at Costco, and then headed to the pools. We got Dole whips from the shop at the beach. They also sell them at the Ulu cafe. We did dinner in the villa. Another picture of the gorgeous resort, and no, I AM NOT AT ALL peeking at Aulani contracts.

Lobby
Old 07-12-2018, 06:59 PM   #23
Lovetheboardwalk
Two Bedroom

I think we had the same room! Same view anyway... so beautiful. Cant wait to go back. Thanks for your report.

Home Sweet Home:
**BWV 1999 **BRV 2017**

Disneyland ~ VGC May 2018
Resorts we still need to visit: VGF, AKL, Poly. & VCC
Lovetheboardwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:01 PM   #24
Jesper
One Bedroom

Friday was resort day. I wish we had stayed a day longer to have two days where we did nothing but spend time at the resort. We got up in time to hit the slides at 8 AM when the pools open, and managed to ride down several times before lines began to form. There can be a pretty long line during the day. The group split up as was usual when we were at the resort, and we spent time at the pools/beach on and off until 2.30. DW and I went to sign up for the DVC cultural tour we had seen on the daily Iwa. As we had not signed up in advance, and it was full we were placed on a wait list, but someone did not show and we were in. The guide was one of the storytellers, and there were 12-14 people in the group. None of the other members had Aulani as their home resort either (the guide asked everyone what their home resort was). The tour took 45 min, and was ok. Not really a whole lot of information we had not gotten at the Bishop museum, but I still think it was still 45 min well spent.

Stitch

We had reservations for the Paradise Cove Luau, and walked over there just before 5 PM. We had bought the entertainment book to get 25% off 4 adult tickets. The book was $10 w/free shipping. Do not forget to bring the physical coupon if you go that route. The will ask for it at the ticket window, even if you pay in advance.

The luau was ok. The food was ok. The kalua pork was a bit on the salty side, but not too bad. The rest was forgettable. The entertainment was decent. I thought we should attend a luau since it was our first time in Hawaii, but I don't see myself doing it again. The surroundings were pretty though and the sunset pretty fantastic.

Paradise cove

Sunset

Saturday we had tickets for Pearl Harbor, the Arizona Memorial tour, at 1 PM, but went down there early and got walk on tickets for the tour starting at 7.45. As most probably know, the boat can't dock at the memorial due to structural damage, but it'll sail around the memorial and people sitting on both sides of the boat will get a chance for pictures. After getting off the boat we walked around the area for a bit. I figure, correctly, that the kids would not be super interested, and had not planned to go to the Missouri of Bowfin. That'll have to wait until it's just DW and I.

USS Missouri

USS Arizona

After PH we went to the swap meet at the Aloha stadium. That was another thing I could have been without. There's a ton of vendors, but if you've seen 10 stalls, you've seen them all as they all sell the same stuff. We spent less than two hours there and headed back to the resort for R&R.

Sunday was check out day. DD8 and I headed down to the slide as soon as they opened and managed to get 5 trips in before we had to wait in line at which point we went down the pool instead. Around 10 we headed back up and finished packing so we could be out of there at 11 AM. We walked around the resort for a bit and then packed the car and headed towards Honolulu. I dropped everyone else off close to Waikiki, and then headed to my appointment to get a tattoo (I had made an appointment in advance). While I was getting poked with the needle the others went to do some last minute shopping and had lunch at an udon noodle place that is apparently famous.

After I was done, I headed down and parked at the International Market, walked around with the others a bit, and got some food. Then we headed towards the airport to return the rental. We got a $50 discount due to the door and backup camera. Check in at Alaska Airlines was a mess, and super slow even though all I needed was baggage tags. From we got the airport until we were at the gate took almost 1 1/2 hours. Get there in plenty of time if you're flying Alaska!

The end
Old 07-14-2018, 01:16 AM   #25
hilaw
Grand Villa

A board sponsor has quite a few subsidized Aulani contracts lilsted.
hilaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:50 AM   #26
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Thanks again for taking the time on this excellent report!
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:20 PM   #27
Orion54
One Bedroom

Thanks for the great report and pictures! Love the room view.
Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM   #28
Jesper
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaw View Post
A board sponsor has quite a few subsidized Aulani contracts lilsted.
I saw, but none of them is my UY. They were a bit pricey as well.

Quote:
Thanks again for taking the time on this excellent report!
Quote:
Thanks for the great report and pictures! Love the room view.
Thank you for following!

The one negative thing I'll say about Aulani is that all the small shops close at 5PM. I just don't get that. During the off season, sure, but this is peak season, the pools are still packed at 5PM, and Lava Shack, Mama's snack house, Rainbow Reef, Shaved Ice, the beach shop all close down at 5PM. It's just bizarre to me.
Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM   #29
disneyridleys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper View Post
The one negative thing I'll say about Aulani is that all the small shops close at 5PM. I just don't get that. During the off season, sure, but this is peak season, the pools are still packed at 5PM, and Lava Shack, Mama's snack house, Rainbow Reef, Shaved Ice, the beach shop all close down at 5PM. It's just bizarre to me.
Thanks for posting your trip! Loved it! We did do a lot of the same stuff!

My family agrees with this sentiment. We would have liked them to be open a little while longer as well!
disneyridleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM   #30
Jesper
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyridleys View Post
Thanks for posting your trip! Loved it! We did do a lot of the same stuff!

My family agrees with this sentiment. We would have liked them to be open a little while longer as well!
Thank you! Yes, almost identical itinerary.

It would make sense to have them open until 8PM like the smaller pools.