home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Wining & Dining
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-11-2018, 07:10 PM   #11
ermindy1133
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
You don't really need a full kitchen for a family though. I don't cook on vacation and my husband sadly sucks, so we find light meals that don't really require much.
Unfortunately, that wouldn’t work for my crew. They will help with meal prep, though. So it’s not too bad.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:06 AM   #12
Quellman
Grand Villa

I agree the kitchen really helps. Especially with breakfast. A good one of those means we can usually get away with a single restaurant mid day and a couple of snacks throughout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks_63 View Post
I'm wondering how bad it would be if you just waited in the stand by line?

It's been a couple of years since Ive done CP, but it was my favorite.

But wow, the prices....

Goldi
The lines are nasty. People even begin lining up for the reserved seating crazy early. I have joined the reserved line where it goes past the Japanese Torii . The standby line fills in whatever is left. The standby ends up going and winding through the Italy gondola section if there isn't a private party. I cannot comment on how easily those people get in. Many people just won't or can't justify waiting hours for this event. We only have done it as a VIP guest or with a dining plan. It is not an every year event for us to experience either.
2002 DLHotel, 2010 SSR, 2011 SSR, 2012 DCL Magic, DLParis, BLT, 2013 VB, 2014 DCl Fantasy, BLT 2015 POP, BLT 2016 DCL Dream B2B, BLT 2017 PVB, DCL Fantasy(B2B), YC, BLT
Quellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:27 AM   #13
runner1219
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks_63 View Post
I'm wondering how bad it would be if you just waited in the stand by line?

It's been a couple of years since Ive done CP, but it was my favorite.

But wow, the prices....

Goldi
We did the stand b line last year for the last show of the night in early December and were able to get in without waiting long in the line. We were on the dining plan so I didn't want to use 2 credits for the package. We had a somewhat late reservation at Garden Grill. As soon as we were done we quickly walked over to the stand by line. They were already seating people and we managed to get a seat with little wait. I will add though that it wasn't what I would have called a big time performer. I think it was the person that did the voice of Ariel from the little mermaid (not positive).
runner1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:47 AM   #14
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
It can be very long. For the popular narrators you probably have to wait from at least mid-afternoon for the early show. For less popular narrators you can have a chance to get into the last show with little or no wait or if you devote just a bit of time you might make the 2nd show.
Or you can grab a beverage and camp on the fountain in the American pavilion. That's been my approach the last few times I went.
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:09 PM   #15
noreen99
One Bedroom

I opted for the breakfast at Ale and Compass- price was not too ridiculous and because its breakfast that gets us the early show.

Also keeps fiance out of the parks as much as possible, he usually tolerates my Disney obsession with patience but by the time we hit Candlelight Procession, we will be on our 4th trip this year...assuming he doesn't back out.
noreen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:40 PM   #16
disneyridleys
Grand Villa

We were going to book a package, but the prices were just too far out there for us. We do not get wine, appetizers or desserts (well, okay, sometimes we split an appetizer) typically, and this is just too much food that we do not need.

I would love if they would just make the package something where they add maybe a percentage of your check or an additional charge for reserved seats. I don't know. Just thinking out loud.
disneyridleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:14 PM   #17
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyridleys View Post
We were going to book a package, but the prices were just too far out there for us. We do not get wine, appetizers or desserts (well, okay, sometimes we split an appetizer) typically, and this is just too much food that we do not need.

I would love if they would just make the package something where they add maybe a percentage of your check or an additional charge for reserved seats. I don't know. Just thinking out loud.
I think that for the most part Epcot dining is under utilized. These packages allow them to max out more. If they just offered the seats for a price then someone could just come in, order a coke and pay the upcharge for the ticket and be off. In a way it is just the minimum charge plus xx for the reserved seat. They added breakfasts which are at a lower charge so it runs from around $38-$80 or so, includes a meal and a seat in a reserved section. Not the worst offering that Disney has IMO. And still possible to see the processional without the package.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:20 PM   #18
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner1219 View Post
We did the stand b line last year for the last show of the night in early December and were able to get in without waiting long in the line. We were on the dining plan so I didn't want to use 2 credits for the package. We had a somewhat late reservation at Garden Grill. As soon as we were done we quickly walked over to the stand by line. They were already seating people and we managed to get a seat with little wait. I will add though that it wasn't what I would have called a big time performer. I think it was the person that did the voice of Ariel from the little mermaid (not positive).
That's Jodi Benson. I suppose not a "big time performer" as she really hasn't done anything comparable since. But on a "Disney scale" she's still a big deal.
I went to see her last year and enjoyed it, but she spent too much time discussing her personal religious views. (Any time at all is too much.) The performance is enjoyable regardless of personal religion as the story of Jesus is a beautiful story even if you aren't Christian.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:28 PM   #19
disneyridleys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
I think that for the most part Epcot dining is under utilized. These packages allow them to max out more. If they just offered the seats for a price then someone could just come in, order a coke and pay the upcharge for the ticket and be off. In a way it is just the minimum charge plus xx for the reserved seat. They added breakfasts which are at a lower charge so it runs from around $38-$80 or so, includes a meal and a seat in a reserved section. Not the worst offering that Disney has IMO. And still possible to see the processional without the package.
Oh that is true. Did not think about that. I almost got the Ale and Compass breakfast package or the nine dragons lunch since they seemed a little more reasonable than the others, just haven't talked myself into it.
disneyridleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:38 PM   #20
JudieHopps
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
That's Jodi Benson. I suppose not a "big time performer" as she really hasn't done anything comparable since. But on a "Disney scale" she's still a big deal.
I went to see her last year and enjoyed it, but she spent too much time discussing her personal religious views. (Any time at all is too much.) The performance is enjoyable regardless of personal religion as the story of Jesus is a beautiful story even if you aren't Christian.

Also don’t like if they bring in their political slants.

I love the candlelight. It is a joy to experience for what it is.
And a good narrator is a plus.

A wonderful way to celebrate the season.
The package is expensive, but worth it for a special occasion.
JudieHopps is offline   Reply With Quote