home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Oh, No, They Didn't!!!!! (Guests Behaving Badly)
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-28-2017, 08:48 PM   #1
Princess Amber
Studio

Default Bus Driver Behaving Badly

I have one for the "Oh No They Didn't!" forum, but it's about a bus driver, not a fellow park guest.

We arrived at the AoA bus stop for Epcot and we were about the 7-10th people in line, but we have a wheelchair so we were in the handicap accessible line. Many more folks got in the regular line after us, as there was a long wait for the bus. Finally, when the bus showed up, it was not a Disney bus - it was a contracted external company that Disney works with. We were about to get on (Note: Our wheelchair folds up like a stroller and DD8 can transfer into a regular bus seat) and a cast member assisting in the boarding process informed us that the bus driver said she didn't want my dd on the bus because she uses a wheelchair! Basically, she didn't want any disabled people on "her" bus. We were all pretty horrified, and the cast member was too, but her solution was to apologetically tell us to wait for the next bus. We had already waited over 20 minutes at this point and were among the first people in line, so we definitely getting on that bus.

I quickly called up my Special Needs Mom superpowers (which I have NEVER had to use at WDW before!) and got us on the bus by basically not taking no for an answer. Then the driver became very flustered and instead of driving this busload of guests to Epcot, she drove us to Hollywood Studios! Everyone protested and she turned around and went to Epcot.

When we arrived back at AoA that evening, I reported the incident to a manager, who took down all the information so she could follow up with the external bus company. I hope that driver doesn't have a chance to discriminate against any other people with disabilities! But I think the assisting cast member's response was somewhat troubling. When someone tries to violate the law, we all need to speak up! Ironically, this all happened on the 27th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

This is of course the total opposite of how Disney cast member drivers treat my daughter. I would say they should make sure these externally contracted companies train their employees, but my goodness, this was so egregious I think it's a problem with that individual driver.
Princess Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:52 PM   #2
WiggleWorm
Studio

I'm so sorry that happened!! That's terrible! Kudos to you for reporting it so hopefully it doesn't happen to anyone (or you) again!
WiggleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:04 PM   #3
Disney54us
Grand Villa

Wow that is unbelievable. What part of she doesn't have a choice was she not trained in. If Disney is going to use a outside company then they need to be well versed. I have waited and if anyone shows up with wheelchairs EVC's if there are ten, guess what I'm not getting on the bus if it's filled. I just hope they are sending another right behind. They can't refuse!
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:09 PM   #4
Mox147
One Bedroom

So sorry this happened to you and your family. Good for you for standing up for your daughter. Shame on that bus driver
Old 07-28-2017, 11:30 PM   #5
Laura D
Two Bedroom

I really hate that this happened, and I hope that both the bus driver and the other cast member are straightened out. You shouldn't have been placed in the position of insisting; the cast member should have insisted on your behalf.
Laura D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:25 AM   #6
disneycrazy
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura D View Post
I really hate that this happened, and I hope that both the bus driver and the other cast member are straightened out. You shouldn't have been placed in the position of insisting; the cast member should have insisted on your behalf.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:00 AM   #7
jflatto
Grand Villa

I totally agree that the bus driver was wrong.

Saying that, what do you mean by an external bus company? I must have missed this.

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon; May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member; May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV; May/June 2010 - VWL; July 2010 - VGC; Christmas 2010 - BLT; May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV; July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!; October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP; June 2012 - BCV; December 2012 - BLT for Christmas; June 2013 - Kidani and BWV; December 2013 - VGF and BLT and then Universal, December 2014 - BWV; May/June 2015 - Universal Studios and AKV and SSR; December 2015 - Fantasy for Christmas; October 2016 - Universal and MNSSHP; May/June 2017 - Universal and BWV; October 2017 - 25th Anniversary - AKV and CCR; June 2018 - Adult only - BWV
jflatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:16 AM   #8
reblzmom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflatto View Post
I totally agree that the bus driver was wrong.

Saying that, what do you mean by an external bus company? I must have missed this.
I was thinking the same; I thought they were all "Disney" busses.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:53 AM   #9
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

This is horrible! Good for you for making a fuss to get your daughter on the bus and for following up! I am shocked that the driver didn't know that she had to take guests in wheels and that the CM with her didn't know this either. Did this bus have a WC/ECV lift? I wonder if this was their first day? How can any bus driver on Disney routes not know that they transport wheeled guests? I can't see any driver going a whole day without encountering at least one guest on wheels.

This is very disturbing. Is Disney moving to contract bus companies with no training at all ?

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:03 PM   #10
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Unbelievable and quick frankly news worthy if all the details you have outlined line up.

Also very curious about this contractor comment. I assume this was a Disney labeled bus, in which case, this is 100% on Disney to resolve. No such thing as a contractor driving a Disney bus. That is a Disney buss if it is conducting Disney business, which I would view very differently from say, a Hilton bus from a Hilton resort.

I would be outraged if I witnessed such an event and I would absolutely pursue this up the channels.
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote