home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Oh, No, They Didn't!!!!! (Guests Behaving Badly)
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-18-2017, 08:19 AM   #11
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

I am sorry, but if I am stupid enough to leave my wallet/purse/etc... someplace unattended and it's gone, a large part of the blame lays with the person looking back at me in the mirror.

If you do idiotic things like leaving valuables in a stroller at Disney you need to face the responsibility for your actions. That's "being responsible" not "blaming the victim".

I have no problem with them spending what they want on a stroller and it should not have been taken, but even if you have a $15 walmart special you don't leave your wallet in the stroller.
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:22 AM   #12
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolA View Post
I am sorry, but if I am stupid enough to leave my wallet/purse/etc... someplace unattended and it's gone, a large part of the blame lays with the person looking back at me in the mirror.

If you do idiotic things like leaving valuables in a stroller at Disney you need to face the responsibility for your actions. That's "being responsible" not "blaming the victim".

I have no problem with them spending what they want on a stroller and it should not have been taken, but even if you have a $15 walmart special you don't leave your wallet in the stroller.
I just think it's uncool to say they shouldn't have brought their stroller and by bringing it they were asking for it to be stolen. I've seen that line of thinking everywhere and not just here. So their wallet was also inside (that was stupid yes) but saying they should have left the stroller at home in the first place is just dumb to me. $1800 for one person is not always a huge amount. I mean geez, most of us are DVC owners and how many tens of thousands have many of us put into an upfront purchase?
Old 05-18-2017, 08:31 AM   #13
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Well, from pics she had the Bugaboo Donkey Mono, which is $1459 on their website, so if somebody paid $1800, that probably goes with leaving the epi-pen and wallet in the stroller. I'll chalk that up to bad reporting.

Strollers are major investments for a number of years. If you are an active person and need something well built, ergonomic, and light, that $1800 is going to be worth it. Hey, all of us spend way more than necessary to stay in deluxe villas when Pop Century or French Quarter will get the job done, so none of us has a stone to cast in the "Who would pay that much" or "bring that thing" contest.

I've left packages in the basked the one time I used the scooter, but I've never left anything of value. An EpiPen and ID/cash are things you just don't risk. But this is all on the thief. What a scuzzy thing to do. And that poor kid is going to nee therapy when she realizes she was used as her mom's accomplice.

Dirk
Old 05-18-2017, 08:42 AM   #14
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Our son and DIL has one of those fancy, smancy strollers......thing is like a transformer or something. They bought theirs second or third hand, two years ago. They swear by their stroller, we think its a bit much....but it works for them.

The $1400 price is the starting price, with equipped options it can be much more expensive.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:42 AM   #15
NYDVC
Grand Villa

I am certainly glad she is caught. She's obviously is running a home based business hurting other mothers and children. so sad she had to put someone through that.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, shouting 'GERONIMO!" Bill McKenna

Last edited by NYDVC; 05-18-2017 at 08:58 AM.
NYDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:45 AM   #16
DisPoly15
Studio

The sad part is, is that this happens all the time. I saw at least four distraught mothers talking to security about a missing stroller over the past couple of trips, most of them around the carousel at the MK. The reason this is getting all the buzz is because of the scale of the theft and the fact that they were caught. Disney is a pretend fantasy, and if you don't think there's people with evil intentions just waiting to prey on the the thousands of absent minded tourists that flock there every day maybe you're taking this fantasy a little too seriously. You need to be responsible for your own things, and ESPECIALLY responsible if you are charged with taking care of someone who could potentially be in a life threatening situation without their meds. I'd hate to think what would have happened if the kid needed that epi-pen while on the ride or in line and they were caught without it because the aunt left it in the stroller...
Old 05-18-2017, 08:46 AM   #17
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Our son and DIL has one of those fancy, smancy strollers......thing is like a transformer or something. They bought theirs second or third hand, two years ago. They swear by their stroller, we think its a bit much....but it works for them.

The $1400 price is the starting price, with equipped options it can be much more expensive.
When I was a kid, Mom had an umbrella stroller for me and a bag slung over her shoulder. That was it. As soon as my little legs could carry me, I was walking. And told to keep up! I also had to walk 2 miles up hill each way to school, but there you have it.

(Actually 2 blocks to the bus stop, for a bus driven by a high school student, and with no adult supervision.)

Dirk
Old 05-18-2017, 09:08 AM   #18
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

Hubby didn't have to fly there because of the keys. A quick call to a car dealership with the VIN number can create a duplicate key. Requesting a porter to run it over and paid for via cc from hubby with a phone call could have gotten her out of that mess a little easier. And, I'm thinking in an emergency, Disney paramedics most likely carry Epi pens with them. I guess what I'm saying is I'm not sure if this story required a news article. Strollers are stollen every day, and there are solutions to the problem, so why is her story so much more important to any other victim? Maybe because the thief got caught I suppose.
WDWGoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:23 AM   #19
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWGoof View Post
Hubby didn't have to fly there because of the keys. A quick call to a car dealership with the VIN number can create a duplicate key. Requesting a porter to run it over and paid for via cc from hubby with a phone call could have gotten her out of that mess a little easier. And, I'm thinking in an emergency, Disney paramedics most likely carry Epi pens with them. I guess what I'm saying is I'm not sure if this story required a news article. Strollers are stollen every day, and there are solutions to the problem, so why is her story so much more important to any other victim? Maybe because the thief got caught I suppose.
Certain things just go viral for many reasons. This probably went because like here, a lot of people are appalled by the idea of a $1k+ stroller.

The story going viral actually caused a good outcome - they found the culprit. If the story hadn't gone viral, the purchaser would never have known they had a stolen stroller. So it's good in the end.

Someone tried to take our stroller our last trip we took one. I had a super cheap one I got on clearance that was small, yet had storage beneath and cup holders. I paid all of like $35 for it and someone still tried to take it. The guy said he didn't know what he was doing and thought it was his, but never went back for another so.... yeah. Even $60 retail strollers can be stolen.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:26 AM   #20
bjackowski
Studio

The carousel is a horrible place for leaving a stroller! I've found that cast members are forever moving and rearranging strollers in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisPoly15 View Post
The sad part is, is that this happens all the time. I saw at least four distraught mothers talking to security about a missing stroller over the past couple of trips, most of them around the carousel at the MK. The reason this is getting all the buzz is because of the scale of the theft and the fact that they were caught. Disney is a pretend fantasy, and if you don't think there's people with evil intentions just waiting to prey on the the thousands of absent minded tourists that flock there every day maybe you're taking this fantasy a little too seriously. You need to be responsible for your own things, and ESPECIALLY responsible if you are charged with taking care of someone who could potentially be in a life threatening situation without their meds. I'd hate to think what would have happened if the kid needed that epi-pen while on the ride or in line and they were caught without it because the aunt left it in the stroller...
bjackowski is offline   Reply With Quote