home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-08-2017, 04:09 PM   #11
flypwm
Two Bedroom

I know I shouldn't, but I love this shit. I'm accepting mediocrity in this case.
flypwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:05 PM   #12
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

They've had food booths for years now, so sounds like they'll just be expanded to include all the World Showcases countries. Hopefully some additional entertainment offerings as well.

Works for me...
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:14 AM   #13
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I haven't been to WDW during (Disney) Christmas season for four or five years, so i'm not sure what's new vs. re-packaged.

Since I've been very harsh on Disney's trends in another thread, I'll put out there that I generally like what's being offered and the price tags don't bother me entirely.

My bigger concern - continues the trend of Epcot is a giant fairground hosting different festivals throughout the year where your admission is basically a cover charge for the privilege of shopping and buy food.

I think, in this case, that's not wholly true, though, as the nations continue their holiday traditions story-tellers (Free), the scavenger hunt comes with swag (making the price quite reasonable - cheaper than buying a pin, actually), and regardless of how or where you get it, you gotta buy food so the booths I see as a huge plus, actually.

Even the Candlelight Processional isn't that much of a money grab. While the dining packages are nearly required too see it, the pricing isn't too far off from what a la care would cost if you bought a three course dinner at the establishments represented.

So, I'll chalk this up to a win overall, though it still points to Epcot's appeal resting not in its (stale and ever more stale) attractions and nations, but in its festivals and holidays.

Dirk
Old 09-09-2017, 11:31 AM   #14
brp
Add-on Aficionado

The move toward having F&W basically be an all-year thing. Since we've found some quite nice offerings from the booths, I'm OK with this trend.

But we'll still go during actual F&W since the demos are the clear winner.

Cheers.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:52 PM   #15
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
The move toward having F&W basically be an all-year thing. Since we've found some quite nice offerings from the booths, I'm OK with this trend.

But we'll still go during actual F&W since the demos are the clear winner.

Cheers.
We've never done the demos, but more because of scheduling. I'd like to try them.

I was very happy when the food booths were added to Flower & Garden - I like that festival more overall because it's laid back and the park really does look great. It's getting hard to go during F&W time due to my work schedule, but I'd like to give it a try again, possibly for the 2019 trip.

Overall, I enjoy each of the festivals (and the arts festival really intrigued me, just couldn't get there) and will generally time our trips for them. I still would like the park to be interesting in its own right. Sometime around 2023 it should be again.

Dirk
Old 09-09-2017, 02:00 PM   #16
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
We've never done the demos, but more because of scheduling. I'd like to try them.

I was very happy when the food booths were added to Flower & Garden - I like that festival more overall because it's laid back and the park really does look great. It's getting hard to go during F&W time due to my work schedule, but I'd like to give it a try again, possibly for the 2019 trip.
The demos are our favorite part. Relaxed, non-hectic and most are truly interesting. We've brought back and made several of the recipes.

We avoid the place in the evening, going to the booths only around lunch. It is definitely *less* laid back than F&G in the evening.

Cheers.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:32 PM   #17
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

We'll be at WDW in Dec for our very first Christmas visit. I am so looking forward to this. All of the Christmas stuff will be completely new for us.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:47 AM   #18
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
The demos are our favorite part. Relaxed, non-hectic and most are truly interesting. We've brought back and made several of the recipes.

We avoid the place in the evening, going to the booths only around lunch. It is definitely *less* laid back than F&G in the evening.

Cheers.
Yeah - food booths for lunch is nearly exclusive service! I remember doing that my first F&W festival on its opening day. I was wondering what all the fuss about crowds was about. Then dinner time came . . .

Dirk
Old 09-11-2017, 01:13 PM   #19
flypwm
Two Bedroom

The thing I like about these kinds of things in Epcot is that it's still the one park that you can still do casually and without much/any planning. I don't mind that the festivals are year-round, because they provide something else to wander around and see/eat/do. When we're at Beach Club, we spend almost every evening of our stay there. My wife and daughter get up early (and wake me up) so we usually rope drop the main park of the day, come back sometime late afternoon, shower/relax, and then over to somewhere in walking distance for dinner. If dinner isn't in Epcot, we'll usually go for dessert/fireworks/wandering the WS.

We're headed back the 2nd week of Dec this year, really looking forward to it. I know my daughter's really looking forward to Animal Kingdom, my wife loves MVMCP, but the one thing I can't wait to do is Epcot for Illuminations, followed by walking around the World Showcase after park close while the Christmas decorations are still lit.
flypwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:39 PM   #20
MickeyFan787
Two Bedroom

I just came across some of the menus for these booths - they look really nice. I would love to try this one year.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2017-e...d-food-photos/
MickeyFan787 is offline   Reply With Quote