home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-30-2017, 08:29 AM   #1
beachclubmum
Studio

Default Bag check and medicines

I travel pretty lightly at Disney but since our last trip and an emergency allergy situation, I've realized I can't be as lax as I've been about bringing the Epi pen and Benedryl tablets. What I don't like is the bag check people touching everything. I'm sort of a germaphobe in general but I really don't want hands all over the medical stuff.

Could I put these things into a clear plastic zipper pouch and ask them not to touch it? Has anyone else run into this?
beachclubmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:38 AM   #2
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Benadryl will not be touched - it's not a prescription and unless you are talking about a child's medicine it's not liquid either. I travel with it due to a mild issue and never had issues nor has anyone ever even looked at it.

The epi pen you can put in a clear bag to make sure they don't get their hands all over it. Though honestly they wear gloves while they search bags so their hands are not touching your stuff anyway. Just make sure your epi pen is marked properly and it will be fine.

asking them not to touch things would be a sure fire way of getting extra security IMO. I wouldn't do it if I were you.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:42 AM   #3
krisephillips
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachclubmum View Post
I travel pretty lightly at Disney but since our last trip and an emergency allergy situation, I've realized I can't be as lax as I've been about bringing the Epi pen and Benedryl tablets. What I don't like is the bag check people touching everything. I'm sort of a germaphobe in general but I really don't want hands all over the medical stuff.

Could I put these things into a clear plastic zipper pouch and ask them not to touch it? Has anyone else run into this?
We travel with my son and a lot of medications for him. We place them in a clear zip lock 1 gallon bag to allow the agent to view and inspect the label. If there is a liquid medication over 3 oz, they may open the bottle, sterile swab and test. We have had this happen 2-3 times.

I place this bag out separately in the bin as it goes through the scanner so it can be viewed easily and inspected if needed.

Disney Castaway Club Member-Silver Level.
krisephillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:43 AM   #4
krisephillips
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
asking them not to touch things would be a sure fire way of getting extra security IMO. I wouldn't do it if I were you.

Disney Castaway Club Member-Silver Level.
krisephillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:48 AM   #5
beachclubmum
Studio

I just realized my post wasn't clear. I'm talking about the bag check at Disney parks, not TSA. I usually try to avoid it, but my last trip I brought my puse a couple of times, and the bag check people didn't just look into my mostly empty bag, but reached in and touched everything in there. They're doing a job and all, but it really skeeved me out, especially with medicines.
beachclubmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:02 AM   #6
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I just realized my post wasn't clear. I'm talking about the bag check at Disney parks, not TSA. I usually try to avoid it, but my last trip I brought my puse a couple of times, and the bag check people didn't just look into my mostly empty bag, but reached in and touched everything in there. They're doing a job and all, but it really skeeved me out, especially with medicines.
Ah gotcha! I find the smaller the bag you have the better generally speaking. I've had benadryl and advil in a little round plastic container and they don't touch that. I try to go with as little as possible and the easiest to see. In fact I'm technically down to a wallet on a string that fits in my husband's pocket. Just big enough to hold my cell phone really. Clear bags do help, but if you want to get them to touch less go with as little as possible and in as small of bag as possible. What fits in a pocket won't be touched by them as well as they search a bag.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:11 AM   #7
Mass Transit
Grand Villa

Quote:
I travel with an insulin pen and have never had it set off the metal detectors at the parks when it's in my pocket. The pat-down will sometimes raise a question which is quickly answered to their satisfaction once I tell them what it is and that I don't want it sitting in a tray in the hot sun.
On the rare occasions that my wife has it in her purse, it's not been a problem during bag check.
I don't think Disney Security is as concerned with meds as they are with weapons. TSA is a different story (obviously).

and MNSSHP!

Mass Transit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:35 AM   #8
carolina_yankee
Administrator

We just got back after 9 days. Bag check was mixed in terms of how thorough. Most just did a scan, moving the camera a little, etc; one asked me to take the camera out so he could look underneath; 3 rifled through everything.

I think in you case, mention that you have meds in the bag and that you want to preserve their sterile nature, also put them in plastic bags. You'll be fine.

Disney security doesn't want to offend guests with legitimate concerns.

Dirk
Old 11-30-2017, 10:54 AM   #9
Dana
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Disney security doesn't want to offend guests with legitimate concerns.

Dirk
Unlike MCO TSA.

I agree - clear plastic bag it and no problem. We did have a bag of a change of clothes and I was sorta grossed out that they touched everything, including underwear. Thanks for the reminder to pack the underwear in clear plastic bags .
Dana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:33 AM   #10
willow13579
Studio

I use clear zip top bags to organize the bags we take into the parks. Usually if there are raincoats or a change of clothes in one they just smoosh them around to make sure there isn't a weapon or anything in there and don't open them. They've never questioned the inhaler or allergy meds.

I've learned that the best bags to take are simple ones, so we usually take a cinch sack instead of a purse or bookbag. that way they don't have to fiddle with tons of pockets or check the lining of the bag.
willow13579 is offline   Reply With Quote