home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 11-30-2017, 12:14 PM   #11
MagicJourneys
Two Bedroom
 
MagicJourneys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 563
Default

We've traveled with inhalers, Advair, nasal sprays and various other medicines dozens of times. We just put them in a ziplock and never once has the TSA opened the ziplock.
MagicJourneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:30 PM   #12
beachclubmum
Studio
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: BCV, BWV, somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Transit View Post
I travel with an insulin pen and have never had it set off the metal detectors at the parks when it's in my pocket. The pat-down will sometimes raise a question which is quickly answered to their satisfaction once I tell them what it is and that I don't want it sitting in a tray in the hot sun.
On the rare occasions that my wife has it in her purse, it's not been a problem during bag check.
I don't think Disney Security is as concerned with meds as they are with weapons. TSA is a different story (obviously).


Good to know. I really prefer to skip bag check completely. If one of us puts the Epi pen in a pocket it sounds like we would be good to go. I've been known to tuck my phone in my bra! Of course I then have to remove it if I'm chosen for the metal detector.

During our trip last month we ran into AK for a couple of hours one evening (FOP fp). We were eating in avatar land and my DH had a huge a reaction to someone's service dog. Just bad timing and bad proximity. He started coughing and his throat started swelling shut and I had stupidly left the Benedryl in the car for our quick excursion. Scary time until the paramedics arrived. Our DS has a few anaphylaxis triggers too, so I'm going to be a lot more vigilant with supplies going forward.
beachclubmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:40 PM   #13
carolina_yankee
Administrator
 
carolina_yankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 27,097
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachclubmum View Post
Good to know. I really prefer to skip bag check completely. If one of us puts the Epi pen in a pocket it sounds like we would be good to go. I've been known to tuck my phone in my bra! Of course I then have to remove it if I'm chosen for the metal detector.

During our trip last month we ran into AK for a couple of hours one evening (FOP fp). We were eating in avatar land and my DH had a huge a reaction to someone's service dog. Just bad timing and bad proximity. He started coughing and his throat started swelling shut and I had stupidly left the Benedryl in the car for our quick excursion. Scary time until the paramedics arrived. Our DS has a few anaphylaxis triggers too, so I'm going to be a lot more vigilant with supplies going forward.
Yikes! Sorry that happened.

Important question: Did Disney still honor the Fastpasses?

More seriously, Iím surprised they donít keep Epi pens around. Are they allergy specific?

Dirk
__________________
carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:59 PM   #14
Disney54us
Grand Villa
 
Disney54us's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,849
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Yikes! Sorry that happened.

Important question: Did Disney still honor the Fastpasses?

More seriously, Iím surprised they donít keep Epi pens around. Are they allergy specific?

Dirk
Wow that is scary!
@Dirk no they are not allergy specific. Iím surprised too, could be liability issues even though kids are taught to self administer.
I know that after using one you are suppose to seek ER care. It works but then there are reactions that need to be monitored, heart rate, some experience severe headache and other things.
My son had a epi pen for a while when it was thought he was allergic to salmon. One of his favorite dishes. He was tested and it was negative but the testing is in small doses,so we retested and in addition the allergist had me cook salmon and bring it in. He tested with the needle first, we waited. Negative. Then he had him eat the salmon and we waited to see if there was a reaction, none.
Still makes me nervous/wonder though the last time he had a reaction when we thought he developed a allergy it was salmon cooked on a grill on a cedar plank. So it could have been the plank.
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:01 AM   #15
carolina_yankee
Administrator
 
carolina_yankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 27,097
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney54us View Post
Wow that is scary!
@Dirk no they are not allergy specific. Iím surprised too, could be liability issues even though kids are taught to self administer.
I know that after using one you are suppose to seek ER care. It works but then there are reactions that need to be monitored, heart rate, some experience severe headache and other things.
My son had a epi pen for a while when it was thought he was allergic to salmon. One of his favorite dishes. He was tested and it was negative but the testing is in small doses,so we retested and in addition the allergist had me cook salmon and bring it in. He tested with the needle first, we waited. Negative. Then he had him eat the salmon and we waited to see if there was a reaction, none.
Still makes me nervous/wonder though the last time he had a reaction when we thought he developed a allergy it was salmon cooked on a grill on a cedar plank. So it could have been the plank.
Good to know about Epi pens. I forgot about ER follow-up - I had a parishioner who had a reaction once at fellowship hour. Four years hold - he begged his mother take him to the ER instead of using the EPI pen. His reaction was slow enough and they were close enough that they could do that. That pen scared him.

Interesting about the salmon - so many potential triggers out there!

I can imagine Disney doesn't keep an Epi pen if there is a concern for unauthorized use. CMs wouldn't be trained in reactions and they may not want random guests demanding an epi pen who weren't familiar with the risks. Still scary.

Dirk
__________________
carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:54 PM   #16
Disney54us
Grand Villa
 
Disney54us's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,849
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Good to know about Epi pens. I forgot about ER follow-up - I had a parishioner who had a reaction once at fellowship hour. Four years hold - he begged his mother take him to the ER instead of using the EPI pen. His reaction was slow enough and they were close enough that they could do that. That pen scared him.

Interesting about the salmon - so many potential triggers out there!

I can imagine Disney doesn't keep an Epi pen if there is a concern for unauthorized use. CMs wouldn't be trained in reactions and they may not want random guests demanding an epi pen who weren't familiar with the risks. Still scary.

Dirk
I can see a young child being scared. Even someone older when you are taught how to do it, you wonder is this the correct part of the thigh.

Disney EMTís may have them as Iím sure there are guests that could have a reaction with no known prior history or forgot their epi and they can administer and then get them transported to the ER.

A interesting thing if someone is allergic to salmon. They need to avoid White Fish, not white fishes as in the color but the actual fish known as White Fish. Apparently they are related. I never knew that and would never put those two in the same family but they are. The allergist told us while he was still Ďlabeledí as allergic to salmon.
Disney54us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:49 PM   #17
beachclubmum
Studio
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: BCV, BWV, somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Yikes! Sorry that happened.

Important question: Did Disney still honor the Fastpasses?

More seriously, Iím surprised they donít keep Epi pens around. Are they allergy specific?

Dirk
You will appreciate that my first thought during the incident was "so glad we already rode the FP ride"!

Epi-pens are not allergy specific.

In the end, with the help of a lead CM, we were able to get some benedryl and give it to my DH. The paramedics also arrived and assessed him for about 20 minutes, he started to feel better on just the Benedryl and then we left (which was really cool...they brought a wheelchair to use and took us through a shortcut and we were at the front gate in no time at all). I monitored his breathing during the night and about 12 hours later he was back to feeling normal, thankfully.
beachclubmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:17 PM   #18
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado
 
helenabear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 8,310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachclubmum View Post
You will appreciate that my first thought during the incident was "so glad we already rode the FP ride"!

Epi-pens are not allergy specific.

In the end, with the help of a lead CM, we were able to get some benedryl and give it to my DH. The paramedics also arrived and assessed him for about 20 minutes, he started to feel better on just the Benedryl and then we left (which was really cool...they brought a wheelchair to use and took us through a shortcut and we were at the front gate in no time at all). I monitored his breathing during the night and about 12 hours later he was back to feeling normal, thankfully.
Glad you made it on the ride! But yes, very scary indeed. That would have me wanting to take more meds with me as well. We've also had great luck with items in my DH's pockets (I'm often in dresses with no pockets so he carries if we can avoid a bag).
__________________
helenabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:35 PM   #19
luaulei321
Add-on Aficionado
 
luaulei321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Good to know about Epi pens. I forgot about ER follow-up - I had a parishioner who had a reaction once at fellowship hour. Four years hold - he begged his mother take him to the ER instead of using the EPI pen. His reaction was slow enough and they were close enough that they could do that. That pen scared him.

Interesting about the salmon - so many potential triggers out there!

I can imagine Disney doesn't keep an Epi pen if there is a concern for unauthorized use. CMs wouldn't be trained in reactions and they may not want random guests demanding an epi pen who weren't familiar with the risks. Still scary.

Dirk
The allergy chef at Ohana once accidentally served my dairy-allergic husband real (dairy) vanilla ice cream in the allergy dessert. At the time of the incident, we were told that they have epi pens and Benadryl on hand. It was implied that all of the restaurants have them, but we havenít been able to confirm this. As far as I know, there are different dosages of epi pens (adult vs child), but other than that, they are all the same.
__________________
BLT, VGC, Aulani
luaulei321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:44 AM   #20
carolina_yankee
Administrator
 
carolina_yankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 27,097
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachclubmum View Post
You will appreciate that my first thought during the incident was "so glad we already rode the FP ride"!

Epi-pens are not allergy specific.

In the end, with the help of a lead CM, we were able to get some benedryl and give it to my DH. The paramedics also arrived and assessed him for about 20 minutes, he started to feel better on just the Benedryl and then we left (which was really cool...they brought a wheelchair to use and took us through a shortcut and we were at the front gate in no time at all). I monitored his breathing during the night and about 12 hours later he was back to feeling normal, thankfully.
Glad Disney took good care of you and that it ended well. I'm sure the stress and anxiety was very unwelcome!

Dirk
__________________
carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:44 PM.

© MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software