home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-09-2018, 09:13 AM   #41
ssconner
Studio

We own and love VGF. Very comfy, spacious studios. Don't worry about it not being 'kid friendly!' It's Disney - practically everything's kid friendly

The beach pool (one closest to the villas) is awesome for kids - can grab a seat and see the entire pool easily to watch the kiddos. They also have an awesome splash pad right next to pool. The pool bar/quick serve is also one of the best (IMO). In fact, our only trip where we had any complaints at all about VGF was the one when the pool and pool bar was closed - will prob plan around that in the future.

We also own CCV, but would not want to smoosh too many bodies in the studio there - not enough elbow room and bathroom space for our family! The points for a 1 BR are much more tolerable than those for VGF though, lol.

Good luck... what a fun decision to get to make!
ssconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:41 AM   #42
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubster View Post
My brain says to add on at SSR, my heart says BCV but DH LOVES BWV.
Sounds like us.

Owners since 2006 at OKW, HHI, BWV & CCV
LAURA's next trip(s):
Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS, Jan 18-21 HHI, March 2-9 at BLT, May 31- June 4 HHI and Sept 28- Oct 4 at BWV
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:51 PM   #43
The.disney.couple
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssconner View Post
We own and love VGF. Very comfy, spacious studios. Don't worry about it not being 'kid friendly!' It's Disney - practically everything's kid friendly

The beach pool (one closest to the villas) is awesome for kids - can grab a seat and see the entire pool easily to watch the kiddos. They also have an awesome splash pad right next to pool. The pool bar/quick serve is also one of the best (IMO). In fact, our only trip where we had any complaints at all about VGF was the one when the pool and pool bar was closed - will prob plan around that in the future.

We also own CCV, but would not want to smoosh too many bodies in the studio there - not enough elbow room and bathroom space for our family! The points for a 1 BR are much more tolerable than those for VGF though, lol.

Good luck... what a fun decision to get to make!
Thanks so much for the reply! Its definitely a tough choice!

Check out my disney photography
https://www.instagram.com/the.disney.couple/?hl=en
The.disney.couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #44
The.disney.couple
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by broganmc View Post
I own BWV, SSR and BLT for different reasons. At one time each was my "favorite" of the resorts. Right now (and for the last couple years) BLT is my favorite. Reason is those 1bedrooms sleep 5 and come with an extra bathroom. You don't realize how huge that is until you actually use it.

Same for having walking distance to MK. You can wake up in the morning and be the first guest at the park. Or you can be a nightowl like me and be the very last guest to leave the park. And if you get a view of the park, you can watch fireworks in your PJs from your room.

All of that gives the place a very special feeling. Just waking up in the middle of the night, seeing Space Mtn and the Castle all lit up is enough to make you pinch yourself. The decor slowly grows on you.

I've stayed at VGF (in one of the Grand Villas, talk about POSH). It's certainly beautiful, but it is very inconvenient. You'll be waiting on a monorail, boat or bus if you want to go anywhere. Plus it is way too overpriced.

Poly is beautiful. I love watching fireworks from the beach and dining at Ohana's or Kona's. But my days of living in a studio are long gone. I only do it to save points. That resort fell out of my like list as soon as they dropped the 1bedrooms.

CCV (formerly Villas at Wilderness Lodge) have that down-home Western charm. It's a gorgeous resort to visit, especially at Christmas. But just like VGF it suffers from the "always need a bus or boat to go anywhere" limitation. Again, I visit but I will not chose to stay or buy there.

Now I bought BWV as a resale so I could use the cheaper Standard View points during October (Food & Wine) or December (NYE week). The rooms are horribly tiny though they have that same VGF Victorian charm. And I get to walk into EPCOT or the Studios. I only have 100 points there but they go a long way.

BCV has a similar decor but also gives you access to their waterpark-like pool Stormalong Bay. It's also smaller than BWV which makes booking rooms harder.

SSR was my first Disney home. It has the same limitations as BWV, BCV, CCV/VWL. Rooms are smaller. The advantage is there are more of them and the cost is much cheaper. The resort is huge. You don't have to own there to get a room, but their points go a long way. They have three feature pools, two with slides. And you are a short walk away from the ever popular Disney Springs. Granted that is more interesting to teens and adults, but it's still a fun outing.
A lot of great insight here, thanks for the response! I really like BLT for the things you mentioned but it didn't have enough of a resort feel for my wife, which is important to us.

Check out my disney photography
https://www.instagram.com/the.disney.couple/?hl=en
The.disney.couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:52 PM   #45
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.disney.couple View Post
As tempting as BC/ BW sound, we just can't stomach paying the current prices for 23 years when we'll probably still live another 50.
Your points will go farther at CCV. There often is BRV availability so if you choose to stay there ( 5 sleep in a studio) you will have the same point chart.

With the gondolas opening soon, I can see that boardwalk area getting extremely congested. It’s already packed on the weekends.

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:53 PM   #46
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.disney.couple View Post
Yes, I definitely want to buy where I want to stay in case we were ever to get stuck and then have options elsewhere at 7 months. I too have thought about the 2 connecting studios at both Poly (What we have) and CCV. CCV would only be 30 points a night for 2 studios most of the year if we found ourselves needing more space when the kids get older. We've been ok without a stove so far as well. We usually get things like waffles, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, etc. for breakfast/ lunch and then always eat out for dinner sometimes for lunch.

We can usually book 10 to 11 months so good to hear about VGF, obviously xmas to new year is busy anywhere.
Just as an FYI CCV does not have connecting studios. Poly is the only DVC with connecting studios. At all other DVC resorts those connecting doors connect a studio to a 1BR to create a 2BR lockout unit.
CCV is a great Resort and I completely understand why you would want to own there, just know that you will need to plan on a 1 BR as the kids get older. If you want to have separate sleeping areas for your kids at CCV you would need to go to a 2BR (or bring an air mattress to put on the floor of a 1 BR).

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:04 PM   #47
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink711 View Post
Just as an FYI CCV does not have connecting studios. Poly is the only DVC with connecting studios. At all other DVC resorts those connecting doors connect a studio to a 1BR to create a 2BR lockout unit.
CCV is a great Resort and I completely understand why you would want to own there, just know that you will need to plan on a 1 BR as the kids get older. If you want to have separate sleeping areas for your kids at CCV you would need to go to a 2BR (or bring an air mattress to put on the floor of a 1 BR).
Agree 98% Tink!
(The 2% is that they are "lockoff", not "lockout" , though I suppose you could go with the lockout option if someone is being obnoxious...)

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)

Last edited by erikthewise; 11-09-2018 at 11:49 PM.
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 04:51 AM   #48
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
Agree 98% Tink!
(The 2% is that they are "lockoff", not "lockout" , though I suppose you could go with the lockout option if someone is being obnoxious...)
My daughter would agree with the “lockout” terminology. We had a 2BR “lockout” last year. We occupied the 1BR unit and my son and his GF had the studio. She definitely exercised her option to lock her brother out of the 1BR portion of our room at her discretion!
Old 11-10-2018, 09:07 AM   #49
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Don't forget CCV also has the largest some of the largest studios on DVC property at over 700 square feet. The problem is they only have 7 or 8 of these studios. I am sure these studios go to CCV owners, and I foresee they will eventtually give these studios their own booking category - another reason to own there. I just did a quick search on you tube to find a tour of the alternate studio. A couple were mistakenly labeled as one bedrooms. The one bedrooms have an oven and cooktop. Here is the first link I found to tour the alt. studio. Hands down best studio on site!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbbzDNUnEsI
Old 11-10-2018, 09:20 AM   #50
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh bears mom View Post
Don't forget CCV also has the largest some of the largest studios on DVC property at over 700 square feet. The problem is they only have 7 or 8 of these studios. I am sure these studios go to CCV owners, and I foresee they will eventtually give these studios their own booking category - another reason to own there. I just did a quick search on you tube to find a tour of the alternate studio. A couple were mistakenly labeled as one bedrooms. The one bedrooms have an oven and cooktop. Here is the first link I found to tour the alt. studio. Hands down best studio on site!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbbzDNUnEsI
I forgot about these. I am booking for Dec 2019 (hopefully) and will request one of these. So I have to book tub/shower and not shower only?

Owners since 2006 at OKW, HHI, BWV & CCV
LAURA's next trip(s):
Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS, Jan 18-21 HHI, March 2-9 at BLT, May 31- June 4 HHI and Sept 28- Oct 4 at BWV
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote